C350e anyone considering one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I came from an e250 to the c350. The small boot and fuel tanks are the only potential disappointments in swapping to a smaller car. Otherwise it is great.

Towing

Hi there

I'm considering the C350e as my next car and was wondering if anyone has towed a caravan with one.

Thanks

I had the exact same thoughts and nobody else has one (yet) in work - i have seriously tried to justify if its worth it and to be honest I cant, the chrome looks great on brilliant blue , at least in a picture as I hasn't seen one for real.

Roll on July when mine arrives ( new MY17 spec) , blue calipers will make me well chuffed ! ( sad )

Check out my pics. Still loving the blue n looks awesome when clean and in the sun.

Hi there

I'm considering the C350e as my next car and was wondering if anyone has towed a caravan with one.

Thanks

I have the factory for towbar and will be towing a 1tonne folding camper this summer to Switzerland. I am sure we will be fine as the 350e has plenty of torque. MpG might be a bit eye watering - I am expecting mid 20s which then means plenty of fuel stops.

I have the factory for towbar and will be towing a 1tonne folding camper this summer to Switzerland. I am sure we will be fine as the 350e has plenty of torque. MpG might be a bit eye watering - I am expecting mid 20s which then means plenty of fuel stops.

That was one of my reservations about towing with a hybrid. I don't get much more than 30mpg with my diesel towing a caravan so mid 20's would be ok. You'll have to let me know how you get on.

Thanks

I ordered 350e estate in Jan with prem plus. Lex and Merc faffed about for a few weeks over the grant and agreed it was applicable and car was ordered with Aug delivery. Today they have told me. that govt grant not applicable to 18" wheels spec as emissions too high.

So options are, extra price - which will need re-approval by our MD. Or drop prem spec and go 17"? I'm happy with the wheels, don't want the panoramic roof, but do want the Comand system. Feeling frustrated.

Yet the sales guys on here will tell you the packs are great for customers.

Mercedes should be al a carté not a £9.99 all you can eat buffet.

I hate Pano roofs, and the only thing I hate more is having to pay an extra £2000 for one and then paying much more in tax because of it.

Not being funny but if you read the OLEV grant docs the car only just meets the criteria of the grant with 17"

I questioned the dealer when I asked about 18" and they told me a few had been accepted and a few had been refused (that was Sept 15)

I think they all 18" are now being refused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it is stupid to have those packs, I would have to have the upgraded stereo, ambient lighting and comand, but would prefer the 17" wheels and simply don't want another pano roof again on any car.

I am sure when the new £40k limit comes into play in the spring Mercedes UK will offer individual options again as so many of their cars are on the limit with the premium packs pushing them over it.

I am sure when the new £40k limit comes into play in the spring Mercedes UK will offer individual options again as so many of their cars are on the limit with the premium packs pushing them over it.

What's this about a £40k limit? Not heard of that one before.

What's this about a £40k limit? Not heard of that one before.

Road tax from 2017.

Cars with a retail of £40,000 or higher will pay an additional £310 a year on top of what they pay already until they are 5 years old. When they are 6 years old they will drop back down to the standard rate, which will be £140 for all cars, with the first year rate being much higher for higher emission cars.

So low emission cars are getting hit hardest.

Emissions (g/km of CO2) First year rate
1-50 £10
51-75 £25
76-90 £100
91-100 £120
101-110 £140
111-130 £160
131-150 £200
151-170 £500
171-190 £800
191-225 £1,200
226-255 £1,700
Over 255 £2,000

Only for cars registered after April 5th 2017

For those of use with the cars prior to that date we'll still be FOC [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Road tax from 2017.

Cars with a retail of £40,000 or higher will pay an additional £310 a year on top of what they pay already until they are 5 years old. When they are 6 years old they will drop back down to the standard rate, which will be £140 for all cars, with the first year rate being much higher for higher emission cars.

So low emission cars are getting hit hardest.

Emissions (g/km of CO2)First year rate

1-50£10

51-75£25

76-90£100

91-100£120

101-110£140

111-130£160

131-150£200

151-170£500

171-190£800

191-225£1,200

226-255£1,700

Over 255£2,000

Agreed, but many/most drivers of the 350e are company car drivers who don't directly pay VED.

Also this rule applies to all vehicles not just low emission ones. The only vehicles that will escape VED will be zero emissions below £40k.

So I agree that it will be interesting what all manufacturers do about the limit across their ranges but in practice I think premium makers will do absolutely nothing. £300 of extra VED isn't going to change many folk's buying decision once you are spending over £40k.

Agreed, but many/most drivers of the 350e are company car drivers who don't directly pay VED.

Also this rule applies to all vehicles not just low emission ones. The only vehicles that will escape VED will be zero emissions below £40k.

So I agree that it will be interesting what all manufacturers do about the limit across their ranges but in practice I think premium makers will do absolutely nothing. £300 of extra VED isn't going to change many folk's buying decision once you are spending over £40k.

You reckon?

I know lots of people who will think twice about buying a car for £42k if they have to pay £450 a year for the first 5 years compared to buying one that is coming in at £39k at £140 a year.

C350e at £39k with ambient lighting and upgraded stereo and £420 in road tax over the first 3 years, vs £42k with the prem plus pack and £1350 in road tax over the first 3 years.

You have to remember that most buyers are financing their cars, so it maybe £350 a month rather than spending £40,000.

People don't like paying tax, it really is that simple, hence why so many chose cars like the C350e in the first place.

Well i have been reading this thread for the last year and i have 4 weeks to wait for my c350e estate to be delivered.

The car was ordered june 6th last year just before our lease company closed its order books on them due to the OLEV grant deliberations , after pawing over the specs i have gone for.

C350e estate, palladium
Leather , privacy glass. I raelly wanted some other options but did not want the pano roof.

The car is a march 2016 build and is Sat awaiting delivery.

As soon as it arrived i will be carrying some performance tests using my vbox sport to test What it can do. As i cannot find a full set of performance tests anywhere

Last edited:
As soon as it arrived i will be carrying some performance tests using my vbox sport to test What it can do. As i cannot find a full set of performance tests anywhere

I take it that before doing any performance tests, you will follow the running-in recommendations and treat it gently for the first 1000 miles or so, gently expanding the envelope. Also, you won't get the best out of the HVB straight away. You'll have to do quite a few full discharges and recharges before getting the full capacity out of it. I suggest that it'll be a month before you can really hammer it. When you do, you'll enjoy it....!

I take it that before doing any performance tests, you will follow the running-in recommendations and treat it gently for the first 1000 miles or so, gently expanding the envelope. Also, you won't get the best out of the HVB straight away. You'll have to do quite a few full discharges and recharges before getting the full capacity out of it. I suggest that it'll be a month before you can really hammer it. When you do, you'll enjoy it....!

I expect it will take a week or two to settle down. Just going to run it 99 unleaded .

I believe in the school of thought that you should drive a car hard from new (as long as it has warmed the oil). There is no need to run in a modern car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom