C350e anyone considering one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I believe in the school of thought that you should drive a car hard from new (as long as it has warmed the oil). There is no need to run in a modern car.

Either the manual or quick users guide suggested avoiding heavy engine loads and keeping the mode mostly in comfort for the first 1000km.

I reckon a manufacturer is always right as they are wanting to avoid unnecessary warranty claims early on in life

I believe in the school of thought that you should drive a car hard from new (as long as it has warmed the oil). There is no need to run in a modern car.

That's hilarious! Do you do children's parties too?:bannana:

Joe_SP said:

This must be reassuring for the person who ends up with your car as the next owner.

I must confess was slightly surprised to find the C350e had a run in period when I got mine, especially as a lot of cars don't require a run in period nowadays. Driving a VAG group car softly initially has been responsible for causing some oil burning issues as the piston rings/ bores not bedded in properly.

The theory is that the new piston rings hone the bores while they are still sharp. This improves piston sealing.

I am not saying that you Rev the engine on cold oil, or turn the engine off with a hot turbo or abuse it in any other way.

Within the next two weeks...

Within the next two weeks I will be the proud user of a new C350e :rock:

Saloon
Brilliant Blue
Privacy Glass

It's a company car and I couldn't have all the bells and whistles. Still, very much looking forward to it. We have 7 arriving with the first being delivered today (unfortunately not mine). We have also had 13A sockets fitted in the car park plus one 'rapid' charge post in the visitor area. Unfortunately I won't be able to charge at home without running a very long extension cable.

For anyone following the order to delivery time-scale... these were ordered in early January through Merc Finance.

Within the next two weeks I will be the proud user of a new C350e :rock:

Saloon
Brilliant Blue
Privacy Glass

It's a company car and I couldn't have all the bells and whistles. Still, very much looking forward to it. We have 7 arriving with the first being delivered today (unfortunately not mine). We have also had 13A sockets fitted in the car park plus one 'rapid' charge post in the visitor area. Unfortunately I won't be able to charge at home without running a very long extension cable.

For anyone following the order to delivery time-scale... these were ordered in early January through Merc Finance.

Allo, I have the estate version in Brilliant Blue with Privacy Glass, also have the 360 camera but no packs for me as like you mine is a company car....plus the estate with the packs massively increases the tax.

I'm (im)patiently awaiting our charge points at work, we're getting 2x 32A Type 2's and 2x 13A sockets.

I use a 15M 13A rated extension cable at home, no worries at all at 8A charge, at 13A things get fairly warm but nothing melts (you set each time using button on charge pack).

Enjoy, you've picked a great colour :rock:

I must confess was slightly surprised to find the C350e had a run in period when I got mine, especially as a lot of cars don't require a run in period nowadays. Driving a VAG group car softly initially has been responsible for causing some oil burning issues as the piston rings/ bores not bedded in properly.

Any chance either of you could give the names of cars where you are specifically advised to drive the car hard from the outset - with verifiable references? Without these, this debate is reduced to the level of "a man down the pub told me...."

I don't get the pre-occupation with piston rings! When a car is new, it's all new. You have to allow gears, differentials, wheel bearings and all load bearing components to "bed in" and they do so at different rates. The most critical as far as your lives are concerned are the tyres and brakes. Check out the tyre manufacturers sites for their recommendations.

If all you want to wreck are your piston rings, you can do this on your front drive-ways simply by revving the engine.

I rest my case and look forward to the information requested.;)

Any chance either of you could give the names of cars where you are specifically advised to drive the car hard from the outset - with verifiable references? Without these, this debate is reduced to the level of "a man down the pub told me...."

I don't get the pre-occupation with piston rings! When a car is new, it's all new. You have to allow gears, differentials, wheel bearings and all load bearing components to "bed in" and they do so at different rates. The most critical as far as your lives are concerned are the tyres and brakes. Check out the tyre manufacturers sites for their recommendations.

If all you want to wreck are your piston rings, you can do this on your front drive-ways simply by revving the engine.

I rest my case and look forward to the information requested.;)
My reference material, would be the 'Honest John' website, he's quite dismissive of VAG group because of some of the issues they've had with vehicles and haven't owned up to. Some of their engines being oil burners and he often cites that particularly with VAG group cars if they are not driven normally (he doesn't mean thrashed) that being cautious and light on throttle and revs can exacerbate oil burning issues on relatively new cars. We're probably talking a litre every 500 to 1,000 miles which is ridic. Also My son has just recently purchased a New Fiesta ST2, I asked him to check if there was any run in period required with the garage. They said no, just drive it normally from the off. As for my Merc I've driven it sensibly as per the user manual guidelines!

My reference material, would be the 'Honest John' website, he's quite dismissive of VAG group because of some of the issues they've had with vehicles and haven't owned up to. Some of their engines being oil burners and he often cites that particularly with VAG group cars if they are not driven normally (he doesn't mean thrashed) that being cautious and light on throttle and revs can exacerbate oil burning issues on relatively new cars. We're probably talking a litre every 500 to 1,000 miles which is ridic. Also My son has just recently purchased a New Fiesta ST2, I asked him to check if there was any run in period required with the garage. They said no, just drive it normally from the off. As for my Merc I've driven it sensibly as per the user manual guidelines!

This is bang on the money drive a VW gently and you will have a slow motor that uses a lot of oil, drive it hard and it's oil consumption is normal.

I've driven every new car like I've stole it all this bedding in rubbish is exactly that. If you rebuild a motorsport engine it operates at full power immediately no time to run in or bed in.

Run in slow and you'll have a slow car is what I've found

Loads of people say drive a car properly from the start, lots of Porsche owners, VAG owners, let it warm up properly and cool down, but make sure you don't just change gear at low revs all the time, if you do you tend to have a slightly slower car that uses more oil and has slightly worse mpg.

Not saying redline it everywhere, but definitely increase the revs occasionally so you get the engine going without putting too much pressure on other parts.

Isn't this all a bit of a problem with a hybrid? We've only so much control over when we use the engine and when it kicks in. There will be a huge variance in how the engines have been treated not just based on how they are driven, but how they are charged and the length of your normal journeys. One school of thought might say that you should run on engine only for X miles so that it isn't very stop/start on the engine

In my case (6 weeks and counting), I'll be driving it at about 10 mph on the m6 in the standard traffic jam and then like I stole it for the 400metres of my commute that is open road. Sigh!

Isn't this all a bit of a problem with a hybrid? We've only so much control over when we use the engine and when it kicks in. There will be a huge variance in how the engines have been treated not just based on how they are driven, but how they are charged and the length of your normal journeys. One school of thought might say that you should run on engine only for X miles so that it isn't very stop/start on the engine

In my case (6 weeks and counting), I'll be driving it at about 10 mph on the m6 in the standard traffic jam and then like I stole it for the 400metres of my commute that is open road. Sigh!

Good point after all when thinking about "running in times" surely these need to be miles when engine is on.

For instance I have done just over 1300 miles but over 70% if these are electric only..

Good point after all when thinking about "running in times" surely these need to be miles when engine is on.

For instance I have done just over 1300 miles but over 70% if these are electric only..

I agree. Also, if I use Sport+ for some fun at the lights when the engine is: (a) stone cold because it has been on electric and (b) still not run in - I am concerned that I will do some damage.

I have noticed a little soot on the chrome tail pipes when washing the car and the faintest of smoke puffs when pressing the engine hard - but only for the first time on any run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's some useful stuff in this thread that newcomers might like to see so I thought I'd just bump it up to the top to draw it to their attention!:)

Anyone got the c350e with the night package?

dtj1987 said:
Anyone got the c350e with the night package?

Not yet but hope to get mine end of next week.

Brilliant blue, premium plus and night package.

Post some pics if you can! I ordered the solid black saloon premium with night package. Hope I don't regret not adding the 18s instead!

dtj1987 said:
Post some pics if you can! I ordered the solid black saloon premium with night package. Hope I don't regret not adding the 18s instead!

Will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom