C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a question for owners.
How did most people buy if it was second hand.
I've seen a nice c350e but it's a private seller and outside the 3 year warranty (just)
Is it worth paying that extra 3k ish for the 12 month warranty from MB given all the issues people have had above.

Also, has anyone bought a ex MBUK employee car.. Are they meant to be better as it's advertised as such on the used approved?

The lady I called In sales today just told me the c400e is coming soon so either get the e class version or wait! She said that it's going to be rare they get more c350e's in now.

@dasachmo I bought from a MB dealer when my car was 2.5 years old. It came with 12 months MB warranty. It all depends how much your peace of mind is worth (as well as your time)? It is very expensive to buy from MB dealers compared to private sale, but for me personally, I don't have time (or the inclination) to be hunting around independent garages to try and find cheaper parts and servicing should something go wrong. I had a recent incident with a check engine light came on one Sunday, I drove it into my dealer first thing Monday morning. Within 1 hour, I had a brand new C class car provided by Europcar for up to 3 days whilst my car was being diagnosed. In the end, the dealer found the car needed a software update, which they did on the Monday, and Tuesday morning, I picked up my car, with nothing to pay, since it was all covered under the MB warranty.

BTW, MB wrote to me offering to extend my warranty as the used car warranty is expiring this month. I went online and got quoted about 440 pounds for another year. I think that's quite reasonable given how much technology is fitted to these cars.

I wonder if you are able to buy the car privately and renew the MB warranty that has just expired? Worth a conversation with the MB warranty people.

Just a question for owners.
How did most people buy if it was second hand.
I've seen a nice c350e but it's a private seller and outside the 3 year warranty (just)
Is it worth paying that extra 3k ish for the 12 month warranty from MB given all the issues people have had above.

Also, has anyone bought a ex MBUK employee car.. Are they meant to be better as it's advertised as such on the used approved?

The lady I called In sales today just told me the c400e is coming soon so either get the e class version or wait! She said that it's going to be rare they get more c350e's in now.

EQC is out soon as well. It’s available to order in Germany now.

Mine was leased from new via employer scheme.

Mine was bought from new as a company car and is now just over 3 yrs old and done 56k. Not sure if I’d buy privately and I certainly would be looking for a warranty of some description, preferably MB. I’ve had a few issues with mine in that time (fuel leak, air suspension pump, water in charging terminal) all done under warranty, but would be concerned if I’d had to pay myself.

I wonder if you are able to buy the car privately and renew the MB warranty that has just expired? Worth a conversation with the MB warranty people.

Yes, that's what I was going to suggest. I would imagine if the car has a full MB service history they will let you do it.

@wrighty senior Hmmm. I'm not sure it's all hybrids and EVs that have seen used prices drop like a stone.

Look at these two articles (I should have bought either a Renault Zoe EV, a Prius hybrid or a Porsche to have low depreciation)
Growing consumer demand driven by the roll-out of clean air zones, cheaper running costs, increased charging points, incentives to drive and wider availability from manufacturers have also boosted average used values up by 14% over the last 12 months.

Chris Plumb, electric vehicle expert at Cap HPI, said: “The past few years have seen a steady growth of the new electric cars being registered in the UK, 2018 saw an increase of 13.8% over 2017 according to the SMMT.

“This has resulted in more used EV’s entering the market and satisfying the growing demand from the used consumer.

“Residual values are improving, with some models, such as the Renault Zoe, actually increasing in value in recent times.”

According to Cap HPI, the Renault Zoe continues to perform strongly due to low volumes in the market.

An 8% increase in April means that a one-year-old Zoe is worth almost 50% more than it was at the start of 2018 – a rise of around £5,000.
Source: Used EV volumes rise as demand drives 14% value increase in 12 months

Top 10 lowest depreciating cars in UK this year
Source: The 10 slowest-depreciating cars 2019
I am no expert and I have seen these articles and other similar articles. However, a quick look at the classifieds just does not support these claims. Prices for used Zoes fall like a stone when they are over 2years old (although there are not many used Zoes available and there may be added confusion because some have 'rented' batteries and others are owned outright). Prius prices are all over the place and I do not know enough about the model to suggest why. I know options can take new cars from around £25k to well over £30k OTR and I think there was a facelift in 2017 possible having knock-on effects to the used prices. Certainly a Prius later than 2016 does seem to hold a good price. Perhaps this reflects that Toyota were one of the very first manufacturers to offer Hybrid cars?? From what I can see 'most' used cars have suffered from diminished residual values and 'most' hybrid/electric cars seem to have a slightly worse drop in residuals.

I am no expert and I have seen these articles and other similar articles. However, a quick look at the classifieds just does not support these claims. Prices for used Zoes fall like a stone when they are over 2years old (although there are not many used Zoes available and there may be added confusion because some have 'rented' batteries and others are owned outright). Prius prices are all over the place and I do not know enough about the model to suggest why. I know options can take new cars from around £25k to well over £30k OTR and I think there was a facelift in 2017 possible having knock-on effects to the used prices. Certainly a Prius later than 2016 does seem to hold a good price. Perhaps this reflects that Toyota were one of the very first manufacturers to offer Hybrid cars?? From what I can see 'most' used cars have suffered from diminished residual values and 'most' hybrid/electric cars seem to have a slightly worse drop in residuals.

@wrighty senior I see. I had a 2016 Prius (new shape) on lease for 2 years from new, and I was really impressed by how it held it's value over the 2 years, if I were to buy a 2 year old one. The demand for Prius is private hire people, very few private owners buy Prius cars unless they are much older. I guess the articles I shared were some kind of propaganda to people to buy EVs/PHEVs? So if my C350e has dropped 8k in a year, I wonder whether depreciation will slow down, or it will drop a lot more in the next year?

So following the advice @raspy and others...
I've seen the 'ideal' c350e with low mileage (15k) and premium pack and pan roof, fsh but it's a private seller for 21k. There aren't any equivalents on used approved with a similar low mileage and decent spec for less then 24 or 25k and the same is around 26k.
I realy want to bite the bullet but...
I guess it's easier to trade in and comes with a one year warranty with Mercedes especially given the issues you guys have had as above.
Mercedes have said if the warranty is expired you can't renew for another year.... Which it just has as it's a 16 plate.

I guess I'll keep an eye out but it seems rare to find a c350e with pan roof that hadn't had crazy mileage!

So following the advice @raspy and others...
I've seen the 'ideal' c350e with low mileage (15k) and premium pack and pan roof, fsh but it's a private seller for 21k. There aren't any equivalents on used approved with a similar low mileage and decent spec for less then 24 or 25k and the same is around 26k.
I realy want to bite the bullet but...
I guess it's easier to trade in and comes with a one year warranty with Mercedes especially given the issues you guys have had as above.
Mercedes have said if the warranty is expired you can't renew for another year.... Which it just has as it's a 16 plate.

I guess I'll keep an eye out but it seems rare to find a c350e with pan roof that hadn't had crazy mileage!

Get rid of your old car with WBAC or similar. It's quick and easy. I've done it twice now.
Buy the private car for £21,000 (or less!). Then if you can afford to do it, stick the £4,000 you have "saved" over the approved one in an interest earning instant access account (like Marcus 1.5%) and that becomes your warranty fund.

Managed to pick up a Mercedes approved C350E this weekend (Sport base model, no premium features) on a 2017 plate with 31500 miles for 19500 so it may be possible for you to get something you want from a dealer if you are prepared to look around and wait a while.

As an aside I'm really happy with the car but got it home and tried to charge it on my household plug and it doesn't want to charge - I get a flashing red led on the charging socket in the car for 90 seconds which then goes off. Anyone got any ideas before I take it back to Mercedes to sort out? I'm getting a proper wall charger put in asap but would like the option of charging on a plug until then.

What does the charging unit itself show on its LED lights? Mind is red for a few seconds and the turns green when you first turn it on. Assuming you have the same charging unit as I have (the one you plug in the mains socket) the LEDs on it show you the status.

Also maybe try the other ev charger cable in you nearest public charger. I use PodPoint, there are a handful of completely free ones around in car parks, universities and supermarkets. At least then you'd know if its the charger or the car.

Many thanks for the reply Herder000. The charging unit itself looks fine, all green LED's and set to 8 amp charging. I was thinking about trying the other cable today, I'll take a look at podpoint thanks.

Many thanks for the reply Herder000. The charging unit itself looks fine, all green LED's and set to 8 amp charging. I was thinking about trying the other cable today, I'll take a look at podpoint thanks.
Sounds like a a car issue then, but using a local Public charging point will confirm. Main issue was water ingress on early cars, however your car being a 2017 plate would have come with the fix. Previous owner must not have bothered to charge or they would have got it sorted under warranty. Poor of your Mercedes garage to not have checked being a PHEV. Other thing does battery charge from the ICE, scroll through the settings on the central console, bottom left button?

Just tried from a Podpoint and same problem. Socket flashes red for 90 seconds then nothing, although the car shows as cable connected. I think i was doing the podpoint thing right. I had set up an account and used the app and located the charger and pressed confirm charge. Think it will have to go back to Mercedes, disappointing as I would have thought they would have tested charging as part of the pre delivery checks.

Just to confirm it charges fine in charge mode and functions fine in hybrid. must be the socket. Love the car though, my first Mercedes and coming from a diesel X-trail it feels so much more refined. My commutes are only 4.5 miles each ways so I think its the perfect car for me, had my name down for a Tesla for 3 years but decided too expensive, particularly when it falls into luxury car tax bracket. Tax on the 350e is 0 :)

Podpoints charge for 15 mins anyway even if you don't register and confirm the charger. So does sound like a socket issue. Very disappointing for you. Hopefully sorted quickly though and I would tend to agree, they are great cars!

Rang Mercedes today and my local Mercedes (Bristol) could not look at it until June if I wanted a courtesy car! Have managed to get it down to Weston and they will look at it tomorrow. Apparently there are two recals which haven't been done either (wiring harness and something else I can't remember) but am not impressed that any of this was done prior to me purchasing.

Have got a GLC 220d 4matic as a loaner..... much prefer the 350e.

Guys, I know there are probably loads of comments on this previously and believe me, I have done some digging.

I have had my c350e a few days now, love the car. Little gripe is the milage I get on leccy alone and just wondered if its 'normal'. I know I'm never going to get the quoted 19(?) miles. But when I stick a full charge in her, the app will say 14 mile range (12 at the minute actually).

My commute to work is 3.3 miles and I can't charge at work. I literally exhaust the entire battery just getting to and from work so lucky to get a 7 mile range from 100% and the weather isn't too bad at the minute, I'm pretty worried about the weather in the winter and the car not even getting me to and from work at a 7 mile round trip.

What do others manage on electric alone? The car is still under warranty for a few months and there the obvious extended warranty on the battery, is this something that might need testing? It's got 50k miles currently on a 16 plate that was registered in August.

Cheers, Ryk.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hi Masterstein, I've only had my 350e a few days also and the one run I did manage on battery looked like I was going to get about 8 miles. Once I get the charging fixed I'll be doing some more tests and will let you know. I would certainly think at this time of year we should be getting more (10-12 miles at least I would have thought).

As an example, my late 2016 car with under 7k miles on it (yes, I know.....). Yesterday from a full charge, guessometer said 14, I did 12. When I expect to be able to do the whole trip on battery I tend to drive like a granny. No accessories on either. Drive was a mix of crawl, 30, 40, 50 and 60mph , about 50% above 50. 6 miles each way return trip.

I’ve said before that I think the best way we, as end users, can estimate battery condition is to measure (roughly) how much energy gets put in when charging. I detailed my own results a few pages back, but it’s easy enough to do and requires no equipment.

Sadly, MB do not warranty battery capacity at all, only “manufacturing defects” so any warranty claim for reduced range is going to be a battle.

Given their attitude, I’d never buy another MB of any kind, especially one with an HV battery in it. I didn’t do due diligence when I bought this car new. If I had, I simply wouldn’t have bought it for a number of reasons, but mostly MBs attitude to warranty claims. The single most expensive mistake I have ever made. Every time I drive the thing it reminds me of that fact, which is a shame as it’s not a bad car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom