C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I sometimes wonder why the car doesn't start on petrol until it's warmed up and then switch to electric. I am sure this would get more range than starting from cold on electric. I try and do this using the e-save mode and I end up with results like this morning. Heating on Auto, sunroof open and I've even got the radio on!

Starting guess range 9 miles, 100%.
Journey to work 8 miles.
Using E-Save, engine off for 5 miles.
Ending guess range 9 miles, 100%.
So how much is my electric range? 9 miles? 14 miles? 18 miles? It's a nonsense.
C350e.jpg
For this reason I think the cumulative electric usage is more useful than the actual starting range. i.e. how many miles have you driven with the engine off. I've done 5,700 miles with the engine off in the last 10,000 miles.

6 miles in winter and 12 miles in summer. I’d have hoped that pre-entry climate control would improve the winter range more than it does. Looking forward to my next car having a bigger battery...

I'd echo what Dodgy says, 6ish in winter with the heater on. Now its warmer and I don't use the heater (unless the engine is running) I'm seeing 10-12 miles. Funnily enough, aircon doesn't seem to overly hit the battery.

Just an update on my charging woes, apparently it needs a new inverter which has to be shipped from Germany so wont get fixed until next week so the car will need to go back in again. Not a great start to Mercedes ownership and surely should have been picked up before I took delivery...

As I have come to realise, if you expect decent service, don’t buy an MB. Yes indeed, you could reasonably expect that the dealer would actually test the basic functions of the car before delivery....sadly, you aren’t likely to get that sort of service. My brand new car was totally flat when I picked it up. You’d think they could plug it in and charge it before delivery, but nope, no chance. They simply don’t give two hoots.

I sometimes wonder why the car doesn't start on petrol until it's warmed up and then switch to electric. I am sure this would get more range than starting from cold on electric. I try and do this using the e-save mode and I end up with results like this morning. Heating on Auto, sunroof open and I've even got the radio on!

Starting guess range 9 miles, 100%.
Journey to work 8 miles.
Using E-Save, engine off for 5 miles.
Ending guess range 9 miles, 100%.
So how much is my electric range? 9 miles? 14 miles? 18 miles? It's a nonsense.
View attachment 86110
For this reason I think the cumulative electric usage is more useful than the actual starting range. i.e. how many miles have you driven with the engine off. I've done 5,700 miles with the engine off in the last 10,000 miles.

Just done a four mile journey (actually 2 x 2 miles). I started with the guessometer on 9 miles. Come back with it on 7 miles and 80%. Keeps me entertained I suppose.

c350e.jpg

As I have come to realise, if you expect decent service, don’t buy an MB. Yes indeed, you could reasonably expect that the dealer would actually test the basic functions of the car before delivery....sadly, you aren’t likely to get that sort of service. My brand new car was totally flat when I picked it up. You’d think they could plug it in and charge it before delivery, but nope, no chance. They simply don’t give two hoots.

Chris, I feel you are troubling trouble. Enjoy it whilst it works and it's doing what it does best. If you are always waiting for a problem or dreading the next time you have to visit the dealer you'd be better getting rid and protecting your sanity. Buy a Lexus and be happy! :)

I quite agree, sad to say. What should have been a good experience really hasn’t been, and that’s without any problems with the car (yet).

I’ve already thought about getting shot of it more than once. Even though it’s a PP model with 18” rims and less than 7k on it, it’s likely not worth much more than £20k odd. Just can’t bring myself to take that hit after less than 3 years.

Yes, can understand that. It's a real shame the background experience is spoiling your enjoyment of the actual car though. I still like mine. Quiet and comfortable in traffic and nicely quick (in a straight line). My local dealer is OK and they collect the car so I never actually have to go there. Not sure what I would replace it with really.

Anyway, in happier news I have completed my mathematical journey. This was my last trip yesterday. Based on number of miles with the engine off, my electric range was 17 (5+3+9). The guessometer started the day on 9. It's on 9 again this morning too. Who says the Germans have no sense of humour? :confused::D:rolleyes:

C350eb.jpg

Anyway, in happier news I have completed my mathematical journey. This was my last trip yesterday. Based on number of miles with the engine off, my electric range was 17 (5+3+9). The guessometer started the day on 9. It's on 9 again this morning too. Who says the Germans have no sense of humour? :confused::D:rolleyes:

View attachment 86141

That’s not really the electric range though, is it? It includes coasting and braking, which are traditionally things that don’t involve having your foot on the go pedal. [emoji848]

I feel a sense of achievement when I manage 13 miles (in perfect conditions) without any ICE at all.

That’s not really the electric range though, is it? It includes coasting and braking, which are traditionally things that don’t involve having your foot on the go pedal. [emoji848]

Yes, I agree it's certainly part of the "range", but it must only be a small proportion. If I tried driving a non-hybrid car for 24 miles without putting my foot on the accelerator for 17 of those miles I don't think I'd get very far. :)

If you expect decent service.... don't buy a car!! I have had awful service from Volvo, BMW & Audi; Mercedes have been a little better!

If you expect decent service.... don't buy a car!! I have had awful service from Volvo, BMW & Audi; Mercedes have been a little better!

That’s probably a pretty good working assumption actually. This is the first time in over 40 years of car ownership I’ve had a car serviced by anyone other than myself, so up until this point, I’ve been insulated from the joys of dealers.

Lexus seem to have a pretty good reputation for both reliability and service based on experiences of some folk I know.

That’s probably a pretty good working assumption actually. This is the first time in over 40 years of car ownership I’ve had a car serviced by anyone other than myself, so up until this point, I’ve been insulated from the joys of dealers.

Lexus seem to have a pretty good reputation for both reliability and service based on experiences of some folk I know.

Around here, it’s all about the franchise holder. Audi completely ignored me a few years ago when I visited to buy a car. I ended up walking out after about 20 minutes without even speaking to anyone. They were taken over by another franchise and became fabulous for customer service. Four years after my first attempt I walked away with a car.

Couple of things. Yes, the 350e counts any distance where the ICE is not on as electric miles. If you calculate the MPG by subtracting electric miles from total miles, I generally see 28mpg! This figure in generally better if you do fewer electric miles as a proportion of the total (I.e. lots on long journeys with no charging). Secondly, your photos of your trip display look different to mine?
upload_2019-5-24_22-45-27.jpeg

Finally got the inverter fitted to the car and can now charge. Did my first fully electric journey yesterday with a range of about 11 miles I would think but this was in good conditions. Don't think my commute of 9 miles return will be fully achievable in winter but would hope that about 7 or 8 of them will be on electric so I'm happy.

Just a quick question for anyone that may have worked it out. I recently did a 100 mile trip and used all of the electric at the start of the trip. Is the charge mode worth it? i.e. If I use the cars charge mode from 10% to 100% and this gives me say 10 electric miles, has that just cost me 20 petrol miles or is it efficient? I did the charge mode as I was expecting to hit a load of traffic so it was probably worth it in my case, I just wondered if anyone has any clues on the fuel usage of the charge mode?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Just had a run driving like Miss Daisy and managed 13 miles on pure electric. Can't see I'll ever get much more than that. Maybe 14 in perfect scenario. In answer to your question Masterstein I'm fairly new to this game but think the only time to use Charge mode would be for green reasons and not wanting to pollute urban environments, ie use it to make sure you have enough charge going into a city. I can't see any economic reason even if you hit traffic because I think the re-gen does a reasonable job and as long as you have maybe 20 percent left in traffic you could probably cover most traffic build ups. I'd be interested to hear other views as well though from owners with a longer experience of the car. I have to say I actually think the 350e is a great car (having had a C200 and a GLC as courtesy cars the 350e just feels more refined). All it really lacks is a few more miles in range and I think the C300de looks a great solution for the urban/high mileage driver.

I suspect that electric is a more efficient use of energy than petrol when driving in stop-start traffic. This also means that it’s better for the environment, especially for those who live in your destination town. If you get into the habit of using the satnav and put the car in “E” mode and configure the satnav to always find the most economical route, it tends to use electric at the beginning and end of the journey and petrol in the middle. It is annoying that it always tries to have 2 or 3 electric miles left at the end of the journey. Especially so as I generally have a charger available at the ends of journeys (home and work). To get around this, I keep an eye on the electric range and switch to electric mode when my electric range remaining is about a mile less than the distance to destination. This way, I average 10-11 miles electric on my commute of 20 miles and 76mpg.

I agree that electric is far more efficient in stop start but I'm guessing using charge mode to get extra electric in the battery if you know you are going to hit traffic would still not be an efficient way of doing things. Also agree it's mad to leave any electric available beyond the approx 10% that is reserved at the end of your journey when you are going to be by a charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom