C63 switchable exhaust alternative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLS22

Car
W205 C63
Hi

I’m looking to get into a used C63 S and having real difficulty find the right spec I want with the switchable exhaust (because I’m essentially a child and I like loud things....).

Is there any workaround in a car without the switchable exhaust that enables you to open up all of the flaps in the system all of the time (like having the switchable system). I read somewhere that if you have it in Sport+ Mode this does this but does it also mean the rest of the settings are also set up max? Or is there an alternative way (without buying an aftermarket exhuast)?

Have asked dealers and there about as much use as a chocolate teapot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy a valve off the shelf and just get a decent exhaust place to splice it in. The trouble is I'd guess the actual exhausts are different.

Cut the centre resonators out and also the back boxes to make the system straight through from cat back.
Saves a fortune and trust me it sounds schmazing. No drone, quite when poodling, but give it the beans and peeps dive for cover[emoji592][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

MSL Performance

You can buy aftermarket systems that do this, you tee them off the vaccuum pipe at the front of the engine and of course you need power, some even show up on your stereo display telling you what mode they are in

If its anything like my M4 I have valves at the back that open. On each backbox there is a switch which controls these, once the valves are open, unplug the switches and they remain open! Job done! Not sure if it is this easy on a C63... Doesn't the S model come with the switchable exhaust from factory? I thought it was the non-S that was an option?

What is it you actually want?

On my C63 I have a button to turn the sports exhaust on and off. Before starting the car I double clicked on the start button to turn on the electrics and turn the exhaust on before I start the ignition essentially meaning the car is never on without the sports exhaust.

The only time I don't have the exhaust on is maybe early on a morning if I leave the apartment before the neighbours are awake.

Dan

Danny - you have a switchable exhaust, it’s an option on both standards and S versions (not standard on S unfortunately).

I’m buying used and having trouble finding the spec S I want with a factory fitted switchable exhaust hence I was looking to see if there was any other way you could get round the problem (opening the valves remotely in the system). I’m not sure there is...

JLS22. I wouldnt ordinarily say that the switchable exhaust is entirely geared to making it louder - IMO. Certainly when its switched off it is far quieter than the non switchable can be and its not dramatically louder than the standard when on but it has a certain deeper/boom/resonance about it during mid range that I cannot remember the non switchable having.

I'd actually summarise it gives more opportunity for it to be quieter than louder...even with in on and starting up I remember the non-switchable having more of a bark to it on that initial start up. I'd also offer that in dynamic select comfort it gives the opportunity to be louder in that mode where as in a non-switchable I think to get the most noise out of the exhaust you want to be in sport or sport+

Theres a lot of misunderstanding around the MB exhaust options. Apparently there is an option of a 3 stage performance exhaust also. There is very little information on the various MB sites and se ems to be little conclusion on the forums.

I have been fortunate to experience both but not side by side and now have a car with the switchable.

The switchable now no longer seems to be an option at all if you build one on the MB site and I read somewhere that this was due to EU leg.

If you wait one will come up but then you might have to compromise on something else.

96 - Thanks for that, really helpful (although now confused as to the many permutations with switchable and modes!!)

I’m going to go with a switchable I think as I like the options of not unnecessarily p*ssing the neighbours off at 6am in the morning!

The nice thing about the switchable is that it becomes configurable in your dynamic select modes along with Drive, Engine, Suspension and traction which you dont get with the non-switchable.

I have to admit it has been somewhat attractive to be able to tone it down a little.

In dynamic select modes it seems to have 2 options of Comfort and Sport+. I havent been around all the settings properly. The point being that would confirm it is a 2 stage however a quick google gives me this :

upload_2018-9-26_11-44-29.png

Which might add some validity to there being a 3 stage .....good luck even trying to find that out from Mb or on a used car...unless this configuration is simply how it is on the S (with switchable).

Confusing. However if you watch Guidos youtube of the C63s review he mentions the 3 stage. see from 4.30s

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

lol I probably havent helped as you will now be looking for a car with the 3 stage option :)

It’s hard enough finding one with the right colour, night pack, prem pack and switchable exhaust!!

Do IPE not do a exhaust for the W205 yet?.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom