Carrying documents whilst driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought the police dont issue producers anymore..

I always carry my license in my wallet.. everyone knows who there insurance company is.. Tax is in the window and MOT is on a VOSA database.. Police PNC check you before they stop you, they know whether or not your telling lies..

If you havent done anything wrong, and you give your valid details its not a problem is it?

... maybe, I'll just time my vehicle license for MOT tests every 18 months instead of 12 - should save some money this way.

I wouldn't recommend it... apparently if you make an insurance claim and the car is written off, you will be paid out much less if you have no MOT.

Carrying documents whilst driving.

Wouldn't they get in the way of steering, gearchanges and eating pasties?

I always carry my license in my wallet.. everyone knows who there insurance company is.. Tax is in the window and MOT is on a VOSA database.. Police PNC check you before they stop you, they know whether or not your telling lies..

If you havent done anything wrong, and you give your valid details its not a problem is it?

That's what I thought, when I got stopped yesterday I asked did they not have all the details about me, insurance, van, mot, tax etc already, but they said that does not happen.

They were following me for about 5 miles, I assumed they were waiting for me do do something wrong, and that they'd have been able to access all the details beforehand.

Yup I put all the docs. in the Vito for our recent trip to Germany (including the required emissions category disc on the windscreen!). But in the UK I just carry my driving licence.

Bill can you tell me more abou the emissions category disc for Germany, does this apply to all vehicles or just selected commercial ones?

That's what I thought, when I got stopped yesterday I asked did they not have all the details about me, insurance, van, mot, tax etc already, but they said that does not happen.

They were following me for about 5 miles, I assumed they were waiting for me do do something wrong, and that they'd have been able to access all the details beforehand.

I've been stopped a few times, young driver in high powered/sports cars.. I never carry documents, I know I'm being followed though, I think they must be stupid if they dont think I know its the Police, even unmarked cars are obvious.. check for the extra aerials on the roof!

Anyhow.. when I've been sat in the back of there car they are on the radio checking my details against the Police National Computer.

I seem to get picked on for stupid things like brake light bulb!

Last edited:

We do still issue them but not very often. Everything is now on computer but they do sometimes go down or are taken offline for other reasons.
I was told a week or so back that I could not issue a HO/RT1 and he had it in writing!! Probably from a bloke on t'internet. :crazy:

We do still issue them but not very often. Everything is now on computer but they do sometimes go down or are taken offline for other reasons.
I was told a week or so back that I could not issue a HO/RT1 and he had it in writing!! Probably from a bloke on t'internet. :crazy:

I was watching Road Wars on Sky Three. :D The Traffic Cop said, 'We dont issue producers anymore'

:rock:

Remember it the end of the month, they want to add you to their list of quota as easy picking or they will lose their job.

By the way they were trying to fool you to see how you responded. They don't issue MOT cert anymore but a note. :D

I always thought the police are meant to protect the public not abuse it.

Last edited:
I was watching Road Wars on Sky Three. :D The Traffic Cop said, 'We dont issue producers anymore'

:rock:

And that's always right isn't it. :crazy:

I'm totally sick of watching supposedly experienced traffic officers telling people they are under arrest for providing a positive breath test. :crazy: :eek: :rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend it... apparently if you make an insurance claim and the car is written off, you will be paid out much less if you have no MOT.

This is true only if it can be proved that the lack of MOT contributed towards the accident. (i.e. the car was dangerous) This you run the risk of in any insurance claim.

And that's always right isn't it. :crazy:

I'm totally sick of watching supposedly experienced traffic officers telling people they are under arrest for providing a positive breath test. :crazy: :eek: :rolleyes:

From my point of view.. If a Police man tells me something he has to be right, and I think its wrong, when I argue the point I seem to get in trouble!

For example, this happened to me.. I purposely drove over the middle of a mini-roundabout when marked Police panda car was behind me, I knew he was there I was trying to prove a point to my ol'man.. in my driving test my instructor said, it's not an offence to drive over a mini-roundabout.. just the flat ones that are painted on the road..

500 yards up the road, I got pulled over.. argued with the police man who wanted to give me a ticket, I just happened to my DSA book in the glove box, popped it out and showed him.. told not to be cheeky.. and then warned and told to get on my way!! :confused: :confused:

It is an offence to fail to produce your driving licence, insurance or MOT cert to a Police Officer on demand.

However if you produce them within seven days you will not be prosecuted.

By extension of the law, it can only be reasonable to assume if you don't wish to flout the law you must carry your documents to be able to produce your insurance cert, licence (paper + ID) and MOT in the event a roadside stop.

Well, I carry all relevant documents with me in the car at all times.

A word of warning to those driving abroad: in many countries on the continent, it is mandatory to have your documents with you at all times. This is most important should you get caught up in an accident. It could cause a lot of grief if you aren't able to produce the relevant documents in that case.

I've heard this about driving abroad, but at least their rules are clearer, have your documents on you although I don't like it personally.

Over here, correct me if I am wrong, its not mandatory but failing to produce them is an offence, although there is a 7 day "cooling off" period in which you can "produce" them at a police station-avoiding prosecution of that offence. Therefore to be completely compliant with the law, its essentially mandatory you carry your documents about, but aren't we advised against this due to vehicle thefts etc. Common sense and the law seem to conflict but never mind.

TBH there are some advantages of the old system, its a bit "1940's WW2 Germany" to have to carry your "documents" around so they can be scrutinised by the police on demand.

Sp!ke said:
This is true only if it can be proved that the lack of MOT contributed towards the accident. (i.e. the car was dangerous) This you run the risk of in any insurance claim.

Surely if you have no MOT, the insurer will (correctly) say your car wasn't legally roadworthy, and your insurance will be invalidated anyway.

TBH there are some advantages of the old system, its a bit "1940's WW2 Germany" to have to carry your "documents" around so they can be scrutinised by the police on demand.

"Papiere Bitte"

A word of warning to those driving abroad: in many countries on the continent, it is mandatory to have your documents with you at all times. This is most important should you get caught up in an accident. It could cause a lot of grief if you aren't able to produce the relevant documents in that case.

QFT.

I was pulled in (not speeding) heading out of Salzburg to Munich by the police who were parked. I had to explain in my best German that my insurance disc was an ownership document because i can't insure the car without being the registered owner.

They looked at the insurance disc, tax disc and NCT (MOT) disc and laughed, took my passport and drivign license, and VIN interestingly, and spent the next 25mins probably checking me out with Frontex. Apprently there is a significant stolen car car trade across the eastern Schengen borders, but who knows who would steal an Irish regged RHD 8 year old CLK to sell to some drug dealer in Hungary!

I was a bit terrified they would be sticky and stop me driving, but no fine or ticket was issued, "Kein Problem, Bye" was the end, and 5km up the road they had pulled in a Hungarian regged 911.

Moral of the story: bring driving license, insurance certificate and ownership certificate next time.

"Wo ist das Fahrzeugbrief?" the answer is not on your windscreen!

Last edited:
QFT.

I was pulled in (not speeding) heading out of Salzburg to Munich by the police who were parked. I had to explain in my best German that my insurance disc was an ownership document because i can't insure the car without being the registered owner.

They looked at the insurance disc, tax disc and NCT (MOT) disc and laughed, took my passport and drivign license, and VIN interestingly, and spent the next 25mins probably checking me out with Frontex. Apprently there is a significant stolen car car trade across the eastern Schengen borders, but who knows who would steal an Irish regged RHD 8 year old CLK to sell to some drug dealer in Hungary!

I was a bit terrified they would be sticky and stop me driving, but no fine or ticket was issued, "Kein Problem, Bye" was the end, and 5km up the road they had pulled in a Hungarian regged 911.

Moral of the story: bring driving license, insurance certificate and ownership certificate next time.

"Wo ist das Fahrzeugbrief?" the answer is not on your windscreen!

It would be stupid if you don't while abroad similar to your passport.

It would be stupid if you keep it in the car all the time while you are in UK and also carry your passport all the time. :D

Surely if you have no MOT, the insurer will (correctly) say your car wasn't legally roadworthy, and your insurance will be invalidated anyway.

My Brother made the mistake of not MOT'ing one of his vans (apparently it was a genuine mistake it's not something I would expect of him but....)
The van was written off in an own fault accident by one of his employees, this was when the MOT "mistake" was discovered. The insurance company paid out a reasonable amount without query despite asking for the current MOT certificate. Was he just lucky? I don't really know but that's what happened.

As regard driving on the continent you should also have your V5 with you!!

I got pulled in USA and didnt have my drivers license on me...You would have thought I was public enemy no1. Asked me for my social security number - told him I had no idea (its apparently the same as your driving license number). Asked if I had any other identification on me so I showed him my passport (UK) and credit cards (UK) - all of a sudden he was a different man...nice friendly asked me if I was enjoying my holiday - I said I was living here now and he politely told me I was therefore committing an offense not carrying my drivers license on me so make sure I did next time.

Never forgot it again.................:D

I got pulled in USA and didnt have my drivers license on me...You would have thought I was public enemy no1...

I was enemy number 1 at Denver airport having just arrived and was waiting in line with all the other aliens when I started fussing the small dog that was sniffing my hand luggage. Oh my word, side-arms were nearly drawn, I was in trouble for interfering with an employee apparently - the authorities were still kinda jumpy I guess, it was early Jan 2002. Anyway, nothing found I hasten to add. Then I discovered the immigration guys who checked my passport and entry docs had zero humour also...

Woops, OT again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom