clk w208 differential leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbvector

Car
1997 clk 320 sport
Hi,

Noticed the rear differential of my 1997 clk 320 sport leaking.. its leaking at end cover.. seems to be fresh oil coming down from upper half middle area of end cover. Been looking at epc and was wondering..

1. where do you fill it up with oil ?
2. How do you check oil level in diff ?
3. What oil goes in it ?
4. Can I reseal outside of end cover gasket ? The upper part of diff seems like it would be impossible to get to for resealing end cover without removing entire diff ?

Thanks for any help!

You will need to drop the diff down to re seal. The job takes about 4hrs. You can top it up via the filling plug that's about half way up the diff. It's like a 12mm Allen key plug the bottem one is the drain plug. You just fill it via the top up plug (remove the plug) until it starts to pour out of the top up hole.

Cool thanks. Think I will at least fill it to make sure it isnt too low until I get it sealed.

When you say leaking, is it leaving oil on the driveway? How bad is it? If its not dripping or not excessive I would leave it. Its quite normal to see MB diffs seeping.

I dont think its dripping .. just a dampness on cover .. im afraid though the diff might be low on oil so ill need to check it to be safe i think.

Dampness if perfectly ok. To check the level, undo the filler plug, this will on the top/side of the diff. Put your finger in there and see if the fluid in near the top, up to the filler hole.

If low, just fill it right up to the filler hole and it will be fine. Or while you are at it, undo the drain plug and refill it with fresh oil. A simple task.

Make sure to undo the filler plug first if you decide to drain it. Sometimes the filler plug can be seized and you will be stuck if you end up draining the diff with no way of filling it up.

Hi,

Any idea what sort/type of rear diff oil i need for a 1997 clk 320 sport ? Thanks.

on the same thought process, the size of the allen key to remove both the filler and drain plug is something I wanted to know. Anyone know the size?

I presume is is the same on most cars given someone on the W211 thought that it was a torx socket. That would be for taking the diff apart I would have thought?

My rear diff is a 14mm for both drain and fill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom