CLK W209 Strange Roof Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bdman

Car
Mercedes CL 63 AMG W216
Hi guys - wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this issue.

After a long drive, or if the car has been sat in the sun and has got really hot, the roof will not open. The windows come partially down and the front section of the roof slightly detaches but the back is completely stationary. A whirring is coming from the back.

Was advised by the previous owner to use the manual opening procedure as it gets jammed every now and then. This procedure involves wrapping nylon cables around the back of the roof hinges and pulling them as someone else holds down the open roof button.

This has worked fine so far and living in the UK ive not had any really roasting weather.

A few weeks ago the above happened and so I pulled the nylon cables and the roof opened but the right hand hinge had popped clean out. I spent 30 mins wedging it back in and closed the roof.

It happened again yesterday and the same thing has happened again. I had to wedge it back in and now I dont want to open the roof again.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it? Im certain its related to increased temperature in the boot because it only happens on seriously hot days.

Thanks guys.

K

Clean all of the moving parts thoroughly including locating spigots, the inside of the chrome ovals, and the 'ears' on the hood bow.
Then grease them with white lithium grease (spray can is best)
Try that first.

Check the pipe work for leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom