• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

CLS 350 CGI 2008 Check Engine + reduced power

honzamo

Car
CLS 350CGI 2008
Hello, about two months ago I bought CLS 350 CGI 215kW with 144 000km. Car seemed to be in perfect condition which was confirmed by check and diagnostic by authorised mercedes service.

Now all of the sudden I got the Check engine light and car lost nearly all of its power. No other message on the display, the gearbox shifts correctly. Engine sounds normal.

When buying the car I was aware of the ballance shaft issue of the M272 engines but my car has engine number 272985 30 996859 and from what I found on the internetet the affected engines were up to 2729..30 468993.

Do you have any idea before I find somebody with the diagnostic?

Thanks

It's all guesswork until you get the codes read on STAR as you are not describing any secondary issues

Where are you (km implies you're not mainland UK)?

Hello, thanks for a reply. I am from Czech Republic but there arent many Mercedes forums :-(

The only secondary issue is the loss of power. The check engine light came on when I was waiting for the green light. Restarting the car didnt help.

Engine runs smooth, sounds normal, revs normal, only doesnt have the power...

I will find somebody with the STAR... Hopefully it wont be something expensive.

So fortunately nothing bad. In the morning the check engine light was still on but withour power loss. In the afternoon it started without check engine light. STAR showed only saved problem with EGR not opened and closed properly.

First place would look is swirl motor-see if there are any signs of oil leaks there-under turbo
If that goes bad loss power, engine check light
Had that on S class and it was throwing all sorts of codes egr,turbo,pressure sensors etc

So it's not an M272 then? - That doesn't have an EGR because both cam shafts adjust (according to Mercedes), and I don't think it ever came with a turbo (or did it?).

There is some crank case emissions gubbins on the rocker covers on the M272.

The engine is M272 (272985 30 996859), VIN: WDD2193571A145499.

Definetly without any turbo or kompressor :-)

I saw something with exhaust gas recirculation valve on STAR diagnostic.

From what I found in online parts, there is an EGR valve on 350 CGI M272.985:
http://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/spa...+valve&maker_id=74&model_id=5118&car_id=31065

There are many types of M272 engines and maybe the older ones didnt have EGR. My is the newer one with direct injection and I would be surprised if they could make it without EGR...

Last edited:
That must be the difference between a (2006) "350" and a (2008) "350 CGI" then. - I did honestly find promotional material from MB stating the engine didn't need EGR because of the variable cam shafts.

I'd give them a spray with some throttle body cleaner and reinstall them; I know some people say oven cleaner, but putting sodium hydroxide near aluminium doesn't seem like a smart move to me (since aluminium is amphoteric).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom