CLS window regulator snapped cable repair DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello, I need some help with blue plastic protections, can you give me some ideas ? I bought the kit, but they are not included.
Thanks_20181120_231328.JPG

Can you not get them off the exisiting regulator and use them?

The problem is that they are broken, cannot be reused.They look like an "U" or "S" something .

Have you asked the MB dealer if they can be supplied?

Of course they cannot be suplied, they need to sell the whole ansambly. But I dont want to pay gor such a small thing. I want to try to have them 3D printed.

After two failed attempts at re-cabling I just went for a complete regulator change.

Thanks for all the tips on here.

Window regulator repair

What a good write up, many thanks to the thread starter. I have spent the last couple of days doing this so have a bit of experience to call upon, here are my thoughts. Firstly there is no need to use tywraps to compress the two parts of the white tensioner. If you squeeze them together before putting the cable through there is a hole 3/4 of the way down where you can insert a small nail (I used a pop rivet) to hold the two parts compressed. Secondly the shorter cable is closer to 1 metre in length and goes around the centre wheel 1.25 turns. Thirdly when assembling the cables do not put them completely around the pulleys as you will never be able t get the tension right. There is like a cam shaped grove on each face for the cable to go in, once everything is assembled and fed around the pulleys pull the pin out of the compressed white bit. Then by sliding the runners up/down the sliders they can be fitted entirely around the pulley wheels. When tensioned they are like guitar strings. In answer to Charlieboy2608, the bottom cable goes on the front. I have bought 3metres of 1.5mm cable (£1.75/m = £5.25) and spent another couple of hours making crimps to go on the ends, yet on eBay you can buy a complete regulator repair kit including new springs/tensioner sand centre wheel for only £7.99 with free p&p, hardly worth the effort of making them yourself. Finally here is a YouTube video on how to remove the regulator, out and in in 27 minutes.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks P11EGG for the youtube link. This is a really excellent step by step video. I bought a £12 cable replacement kit and have to say tensioning the assembly was very difficult. I tried doing this many times and it's difficult with one person. Mine ended up under so much tension that both spring tensioners were almost completely compressed even after releasing. Next time I will know what to do - but I recommend others if they are working alone and have never done this before to just buy an aftermarket regulator complete since I spent about 3 hours trying to get the cables to work. If you are making up your own cables I'd suggest cutting the longer one at least 5mm longer than the original mercedes one - otherwise fitting will be very hard !

I also followed your tip to assemble with the cables off the pulleys and then to tension by using the sliders to pull the cable onto the pulleys using the pulley cams. This worked well - thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom