Coach accident - possible drink driving charge!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
? I have noticed several with the operators name in small print somewhere on the coach. .

I think they are their own coaches. Don't all coaches and busses have to display the operators name and garage on them anyway.

Not 100% sure, but don't National Express Coaches contract out their work but with their livery on the coach? I have noticed several with the operators name in small print somewhere on the coach. Been a long while since I was anywhere near one to be completely sure now though.
I hate to disagree with Dieselman as he is someone I hold in the highest regard, but the National bus (DD) or double decker was I believe one of the Trathens fleet that is based at Plymouth! They used to be decked out in their own livery but for a number of years I believe they have been marked up as National?

Sorry about that and with any luck I'm mistaken?

Regards
John

right .i also hate to disagree with dieselman but on this occasion i think john is right

No problem with accepting better information. Thanks John.

I'll have a look next time I see one, the info is usually just behind the passenger boarding door on the left side or under the drivers window.

they still contract some work out with national express in small letters in the drivers window.

yes they contract out to local companies all the time.. infact a few months back i tried it out from coventry to london, the scariest journey ive ever taken down the M1, the driver drove like a mad man, like he was trying to meet some target or something... i complained to NE the next day as the whole journey made me feel on edge and very nervous...
they replied saying they would look at their relationship with that company... ive never used them since... id rather give a bit extra to richard branson..

Pretty sure N E coaches are electronically limited to 100 kph / 62 mph. Your actual speed would probably have been less than 60 if that's what the speedo showed?

Not so sure about that, they often pass me on the M4 out of London when I'm driving at 70mph and they go past fairly swiftly! :crazy:

yeh mine was NOT limited.. the guy drove like a maniac, he used his horn more often than a bombay taxi driver...

my experience with them has always been great.
much better than richards virgin.
too many stops but other than that alright.
Then i have never been in one of the contracted ones so can not comment on that.

yeh mine was NOT limited.. the guy drove like a maniac, he used his horn more often than a bombay taxi driver...

At least you know it worked...

lol.... to be honest, it could have been just one driver in one company, but it was enough to put me off...

I'll have a look next time I see one, the info is usually just behind the passenger boarding door on the left side or under the drivers window.
Here's an interesting link: The relevant piece is under the title Accidents:

On January 32007, a National Express coach crashed near Heathrow Airport. A double-decker 77 seat vehicle overturned killing two passengers, and leaving several passengers with amputated limbs in the accident itself as well as several passengers that had to have their limbs amputated later in hospital. The 67 passengers and the two drivers were all taken to hospital with injuries. The coach was operated by subcontractor Trathens, an arm of Park’s of Hamilton. Early indications show the late running coach failed to negotiate a slip road between the M4 and M25. [1]. It is regarded as the worst crash in National Express' history. The coach driver, Philip Rooney, 47, of Carluke, Lanarkshire, Scotland, was arrested and later released on police bail on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. Several of the passengers said the bus appeared to be going at 80mph when the accident occurred. However, by law, the vehicle was equipped with a device that restricts the bus' speed to 62mph[2]. All 12 of National Express' double deckers, which all belong to Trathens, were withdrawn for safety checks after the accident. They are now back in service from the 21st May 2007.

It should also be noted that the top speed should be restricted to 62mph?

Sorry about that
Regards
John

I regularly see these coaches doing 90mph in the offside lane.

I suspect the drivers know a way of bypassing the limiter. I wonder if they are 'encouraged' to do so in order to meet their tight deadlines?

Here's an interesting link: The relevant piece is under the title Accidents:

On January 32007, a National Express coach crashed near Heathrow Airport. A double-decker 77 seat vehicle overturned killing two passengers, and leaving several passengers with amputated limbs in the accident itself as well as several passengers that had to have their limbs amputated later in hospital. The 67 passengers and the two drivers were all taken to hospital with injuries. The coach was operated by subcontractor Trathens, an arm of Park’s of Hamilton. Early indications show the late running coach failed to negotiate a slip road between the M4 and M25. [1]. It is regarded as the worst crash in National Express' history. The coach driver, Philip Rooney, 47, of Carluke, Lanarkshire, Scotland, was arrested and later released on police bail on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. Several of the passengers said the bus appeared to be going at 80mph when the accident occurred. However, by law, the vehicle was equipped with a device that restricts the bus' speed to 62mph[2]. All 12 of National Express' double deckers, which all belong to Trathens, were withdrawn for safety checks after the accident. They are now back in service from the 21st May 2007.

It should also be noted that the top speed should be restricted to 62mph?

Sorry about that
Regards
John

Ah---- subcontractors, arms of ' etc etc ------ already the plot thickens? :rolleyes:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=26342007

Last edited:
I hate to disagree with Dieselman as he is someone I hold in the highest regard, but the National bus (DD) or double decker was I believe one of the Trathens fleet that is based at Plymouth! They used to be decked out in their own livery but for a number of years I believe they have been marked up as National?

Sorry about that and with any luck I'm mistaken?

Regards
John

While waiting for the boat to England last year from Denmark there were 2 coaches from Torquay,with a Torquay phone number, talking to the driver of one through the fence he showed me the owners name under the door step, it was the owners name who lived in Lyme Regis and ran the outfit as a side line.

I regularly see these coaches doing 90mph in the offside lane.

I suspect the drivers know a way of bypassing the limiter. I wonder if they are 'encouraged' to do so in order to meet their tight deadlines?

Are you sure either your speedometer doesn't need calibrating or you're not living in a time warp.
I can't recall the last time I saw a coach in the outside lane of a motorway, or doing high speed.

Can we all keep a watch for the speeds these coaches are doing and see whether our suspicions are right or not?

Can we all keep a watch for the speeds these coaches are doing and see whether our suspicions are right or not?

I should meet a few this coming saturday when I go out on the M4, will report back :).

Maybe if anyone travels on one they could take a Sat-nav with them..

I've verified my Sharan speedo with GPS, I do loads of motorway driving, and have never seen any coach doing the kind of speeds mentioned here.

I've verified my Sharan speedo with GPS, I do loads of motorway driving, and have never seen any coach doing the kind of speeds mentioned here.

As an aside has anyone noticed you don't see lorries with tyres that have shed the tread or worse burst anymore.
Apparently this issue stopped when 56mph limiters came into force. The tyres were only rated to 60mph but the lorries were doing 70+mph so overheating the tyres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom