• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

DAB retrofit ntg 4.5 comand online DIY-DONE IT

I think the answer is "we know where it's supposed to go as this is what we do for a living", which IMHO is the right answer.

Well maybe somebody can answer to the point please. I probably will be baned from here by asking 'too much'.
Flippin heck its only freakin radio! And its super secret he he
Nevermind....

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your retrofit but just out of curiosity why you've spent 150£ on DAB? I truly don't get it as it's still a radio not a tv.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your retrofit but just out of curiosity why you've spent 150£ on DAB? I truly don't get it as it's still a radio not a tv.

Good point.:D not sure about this. Some pay over 1k£ for this. :crazy: Lets call it a exercise or little project. Its good fun to explore unknown. :rock:

Thanks for Your time reading my posts. Could I ask where in MOST ring this Dab tuner suposed to be in 'proper' install? As my knoledge limited here. :( Cheers

All part of our service when we do an installation. :cool:

Chaps, just a word of warning when attempting this retrofit..

I sourced all the parts on eBay, including a DAB antenna amplifier to replace my factory FM antenna amplifier.

I bought a DAB Tuner module that came from a 2014 W207 that looked fine in the photos.
When it arrived, it looked OK also.

I lifted the lid on the module to discover that the circuit board was covered in corrosion and fine powder - it looked like it might have been sitting in water for a time or had been subject to a lot of condensation.

I took a photo of the circuit board and asked the seller to take the item back as a return.
He responded that by lifting the lid, I had 'altered the condition of the item' and refused the return. I opened a dispute and eBay found in his favour.

So I ended up buying a £135 paperweight.

(I did try powering it up on the bench with a 12V power supply after making up a wiring loom and confirming with the Mercedes wiring diagrams - it didn't work.. just got hot and emitted a bad smell. No real surprise there).

I've given up on the OEM DAB route and am going for a Dension USB DAB device instead.

Hi. Yes there are risks involved its world of DIY. Sorry to hear.
Btw, My install still works strong loads of radio stations MB sound quality, realy good. Also retrofited reversing camera with sony sensor for low light. Works fine also. I AM DIY man.

The Dension USB DAB device was OK, but took 30 seconds to tune each station.

So I waited for an MB DAB module to come up on eBay from a reputable seller.
I now have it installed and active, it's throwing errors that it's on the wrong address in the MOST ring, but I shall worry about what to do about that later. I also get errors that my speakers are disconnected, but that's due to my fitting an Audison Prima Amp.

I just need to tidy up the install and put the DAB unit under the carpet in the passenger footwell.

The Dension USB DAB device was OK, but took 30 seconds to tune each station.

So I waited for an MB DAB module to come up on eBay from a reputable seller.
I now have it installed and active, it's throwing errors that it's on the wrong address in the MOST ring, but I shall worry about what to do about that later. I also get errors that my speakers are disconnected, but that's due to my fitting an Audison Prima Amp.

I just need to tidy up the install and put the DAB unit under the carpet in the passenger footwell.

Well done. Great job :bannana:
Yes there will be MOST error. I personaly do not worry about it. Probably 'stealer' can program it in for mega money :eek: but it works fine for me with this error.
Nice to hear there are some more DIY ers :thumb: what is total cost for radio install?

Well done. Great job :bannana:
Yes there will be MOST error. I personaly do not worry about it. Probably 'stealer' can program it in for mega money :eek: but it works fine for me with this error.
Nice to hear there are some more DIY ers :thumb: what is total cost for radio install?

The MOST error will only go away when the MOST ring has the devices on it in the correct order. Just clearing the error with Xentry wont make it go away. Its a physical issue.

Dension DAB can be configured to switch stations quicker than 30seconds.

Ok. Thanks for info. And I gues its not aloud to post here where DAB tuner should be located phisically ? Can we have some clue than please
At what number in MOST ring it should be ? Are U say no programming needed if connected in correct place in ring?
If so just need to look at MOST drawings and try to reconect in different places and see what happens. Originally afaik it should be somhere in back of car. So need to try find where MOST connector there and insert . Am I anywhere near ? :)

Last edited:

How many units and what are they are in your setup in engineering menu in MOST?

Ok. Thanks for info. And I gues its not aloud to post here where DAB tuner should be located phisically ? Can we have some clue than please
At what number in MOST ring it should be ? Are U say no programming needed if connected in correct place in ring?
If so just need to look at MOST drawings and try to reconect in different places and see what happens. Originally afaik it should be somhere in back of car. So need to try find where MOST connector there and insert . Am I anywhere near ? :)

On a W204 yes its in the boot at the back behind the rear seats. But that doesnt guarantee you get it right for the ring order.

The fibre can run all over the car and the MOST master is expecting to see the devices in a certain order on the ring. It matters little about the physical location of the device itself, its where it sits in relation to the device before and after it on the fibre ring. The devices will work out-of-order but there will be a permanent fault logged.

On a W204 yes its in the boot at the back behind the rear seats. But that doesnt guarantee you get it right for the ring order.

The fibre can run all over the car and the MOST master is expecting to see the devices in a certain order on the ring. It matters little about the physical location of the device itself, its where it sits in relation to the device before and after it on the fibre ring. The devices will work out-of-order but there will be a permanent fault logged.
Sure, I understand its matters where in optical ring its connected and not where phisically its located its can be done by extension cable if physical location is not close to connecting point. So could u give us a clue in what order or number in MOST DAB must be connected to be with no error in engineering menu? Thanks for teaching :)

Sure, I understand its matters where in optical ring its connected and not where phisically its located its can be done by extension cable if physical location is not close to connecting point. So could u give us a clue in what order or number in MOST DAB must be connected to be with no error in engineering menu? Thanks for teaching :)

I cant because it depends on what other devices are on the ring. Varies from car to car. Xentry will tell you what it expects them to be when the car is connected up.

I cant because it depends on what other devices are on the ring. Varies from car to car. Xentry will tell you what it expects them to be when the car is connected up.

I my case I have bluetooth voice cotrol and Iphone unit and now DAB. With this info could u tell for my case ? Thanks

My MOST Shows 000: HU, 001: DAB, 002:UCI and everything else empty.

I suspect it's supposed to be 000:HU, 001:UCI, 003: DAB or at least with the DAB module further down the line.

I bought a Mercedes servicing plan with the car and was considering having the maps updated in September when it is due the next service, I'll see if can get the Mercedes Techs to code the DAB module into the correct MOST location during the process.

I worked with Dension support and tried nearly all the published config files to get the stations to switch faster, but I gave up in the end.. Also I wanted the factory menu instead of navigating via the USB interface.

I suspect it's supposed to be 000:HU, 001:UCI, 003: DAB or at least with the DAB module further down the line.
It makes sense. Did u tried to connect befor and after ipod unit and before and after main unit to see how it will be shown in engeneering menu? Its just need to try swap round and see what hapens. Need more googling to do. Now we have a tiny bit more info. Might will have a play again soon.

I bought a Mercedes servicing plan with the car and was considering having the maps updated in September when it is due the next service, I'll see if can get the Mercedes Techs to code the DAB module into the correct MOST location during the process.

I worked with Dension support and tried nearly all the published config files to get the stations to switch faster, but I gave up in the end.. Also I wanted the factory menu instead of navigating via the USB interface.

You cant just 'code' the DAB module into the correct place. Its a physical ring order you need to get right. It really doesnt matter that much as the devices all work its just the error thats flagged up on the MOST ring thats all. That said I have once seen a car where the DAB didnt work properly until it was in the right place on the ring but generally it does work.

Personally, I think you have done an excellent job retrofitting your car. It's something I'd love to be able to do within that sort of budget on my 2012 W204. I only have the standard NTG 4.5 Audio 20 (without the CD changer) so it does not have the Fiber optic connection. I had looked at the "USB" solutions but nothing jumps out at the moment in terms of giving the factory fit feel. Dont really want a separate controller on the dash. Had thought of the Denison but really put off by the delay in tuning.

Anyway - I tip my hat to your efforts. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom