Delivery Charge on New C Class W204 - Please explain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
I am just having an interesting debate with my local dealership. I am trying to buy a new C Class.

The new C Class price list brochure states in the small print on page 5.

"Recommended on-the-road price: these prices reflect the Road Fund Licence applicable to the standard model plus £645.00 additional costs necessary to put your car on the road. Included are a standard UK delivery charge (£515.00 incl. VAT), new vehicle registration fee (£55.00), number plates (£25.00 incl. VAT) and fuel (£50.00 incl. VAT). VAT is calculated at the standard rate of 20%”

My dealer wants to charge:
£675 plus VAT = £810 plus the Registration fee of £55 = £865. Instead of the £645 which the price list states, this is an additional £220.

I have queried this and received this explanation.

"Good afternoon Mr XXXXX
Please see attached quote for your C Class, I have factored in everything that we have discussed. The delivery charge will remain at £675.00 which will give you a full tank of fuel and a set of mats, it also covers all on the road costs.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed? <<...>> "

According to my calculation

The tank capacity on the C class is 59 litres so the total cost of fuel at diesel of £140.9 is £83.13 including VAT (if the tank was completely empty on delivery). Therefore an additional £33.13 over what they state in the brochure of £50 of fuel.

Matts are on the Inchcape site at £73.02 including VAT. ( Ribbed Floor Mat Set Black Automatic - C Class 2007-On (204) SALON Accessories Protection and C - Mercedes-Benz Parts, Inchcape )

So the total additional cost is £33.13 + £73.13 = £106.06.

So we are paying an additional = £113.94

Can anywone tell me what this is for? Can dealerships charge what ever they like for delivery or should they stick to the prices quoted in the MB UK brochure?

I have managed to negotiate them right down on price (a 10% discount) but the sales chap keeps telling me one thing then a few weeks later I find something else. If he just said I want to charge you an extra £113.94 so we make some money that would be fine, but I don't understand where this comes from as I suspect this is just paid directly to MB.

So far I have been told that because they gave me a discount they will only put in £25 of fuel, they now say it is full tank. They told me there was no problems with the Audio 20 delivery, now I am having to put comand in. They also told me an additional person on personal collection was £40 they now tell me it is £350 so this niggle is just yet an other issue.

Of course I payed my £1000 deposit before they told me all these problems. I guess the good news is I can get this back as they can not supply the original vehicle.

The service team at the dealership are excellent but sales are driving me mad :doh:

If the £100 something is bothering you that much, wait until you see how much they charge you for your oil on a service. :eek:

If the £100 something is bothering you that much, wait until you see how much they charge you for your oil on a service. :eek:

You are right Sweetpea it is not a big deal but I just want to know what is going on. I just feel mis informed about yet an other issue. This may be the stick that breaks the Camels back (or the C Class suspension!)

Does the salesman's total include the roadfund licence?

I've bought plenty of new cars and I know they itemise everything out in a weird way on the invoice, including messing with the p/x value, but I've always just negotiated based on the total cost. As long as that stays as agreed, then all's fine.

(I was a bit miffed to only get 10L of fuel in a new VW from Inchcape a couple of mths ago. But they cheerfully let me take the tax out of the other car which I've never bothered with before, so go £50 back from that).

Does the salesman's total include the roadfund licence?

I've bought plenty of new cars and I know they itemise everything out in a weird way on the invoice, including messing with the p/x value, but I've always just negotiated based on the total cost. As long as that stays as agreed, then all's fine.

(I was a bit miffed to only get 10L of fuel in a new VW from Inchcape a couple of mths ago. But they cheerfully let me take the tax out of the other car which I've never bothered with before, so go £50 back from that).

The tax is Zero for the first year then £95 year two (125 g/km) I have specified 16 inch 205/55 wheels to acheive this. Also I dont have a part exchange so I will just be paying cash effectively.

You are right Sweetpea it is not a big deal but I just want to know what is going on. I just feel mis informed about yet an other issue. This may be the stick that breaks the Camels back (or the C Class suspension!)

To be fair to you, the one time I looked at buying brand new ( a Toyota Hilux) they tried charging ME delivery from S. Africa for £500.
I said it should be included in the price because even if I wanted to collect it myself they wouldn't let me.
From that day forward, until the day comes when I'm wealthy enough to not give a damn, I vowed to never buy new again.
I do feel for you though; how hard is it to agree a price and stick to it??:dk:

Get a fully detailed invoice stating all costs and charges and satisfy yourself that everything is in order before you 'seal the deal'.

Have the dealer justify / alter anything that you are unsure of.

Sweatpea - This is the first MB I have bought new my previous 3 have been nearly new.

The joke is that the nearly new (ex demo's) with 4000 miles on the clock are discounted less than the discount I am getting so I decided to go new as effectively I am getting a better deal.

I wish I had gone with Carfile,net they were excellent and quoted an all inclusive price including delivery to my house or pick up from there east midlands dealership. I only went to my local dealership (and was paying a bit more) as I wanted to be loyal and at that time I had a good relationship with them.

Carfile just quotes a price puts you in touch with the dealer and it is all sorted.

Get a fully detailed invoice stating all costs and charges and satisfy yourself that everything is in order before you 'seal the deal'.

Have the dealer justify / alter anything that you are unsure of.

Thats just what I am upto. The original car I paid the deposite on had this fee but it was only a few hundred more than other quotes. Now as I am having to specify Comand etc I am going over things in great deal. :wallbash:

Hello

If delivery should be a set price then thats bad..

I would have opted for factory collection, much better and at least 'worth' the money.

doesn't the MB price list have an on the road price which would include everything?

Last edited:
Just pay up(its a drop in the ocean), you've got a great deal so far. Enjoy your new car and have a long and peaceful life. Don't fret about it too much or waste any more of you time - just look forward to it.

If you want to get them back, take it to another dealer for servicing. Sure they'd appreciate your new business.

Just pay up

I disagree.

If the dealership is trying to pull a fast one then they deserve to be found out.

Would you be happy giving my £200 for nothing ? Didn't think so.

I disagree.

If the dealership is trying to pull a fast one then they deserve to be found out.

Erm.... Yes?? :devil: :D

I disagree.

Doubt they're trying to pull a fast one. Its an MB dealer not cheap double glazing. Yes, they're trying to make the most they can, but then they have given a 10% discount. Call it a cake-and-eat-it situation. I'd be happy with the deal I got.

Doubt they're trying to pull a fast one. Its an MB dealer not cheap double glazing. Yes, they're trying to make the most they can, but then they have given a 10% discount. Call it a cake-and-eat-it situation. I'd be happy with the deal I got.

If they are falsifying any figures stated by MB on official documentation then that is akin to fraud.

The OP needs clarity in the documents before committing. It's a legal document.

Phone MB customer service and I am sure they will confirm that the dealer cannot charge you more than the delivery charge in the price list.

Had the same thing happen with MB London. I walked away.

They called 20 mins later and went with the 'brochure' price.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom