Did we made wrong choice..?? BMW 5 series or Audi A6 better than W213..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All round the S6 is probably a better car. By better I mean easier and more comfortable to live with on a daily basis and yet still very fast, not better as per Nurburgring lap times.

LJK Setright had a theory that the second-highest car in any range was often the best overall car.

The best compromise between outright speed and accessible power, handling more suited to day to day, etc

LJK Setright had a theory that the second-highest car in any range was often the best overall car.

The best compromise between outright speed and accessible power, handling more suited to day to day, etc

That's pretty much where I seem to end up for similar reasons although I'd never been consciously aiming for the second highest.

Comparisons between the new C43 and C63 are also starting to prove this theory if we can manage to not suggest the lower model is "better" than the higher model in the range. Just probably a more suitable all rounder for daily use.

It will be interesting to see real world between the E43 and E63 as unlike the C class they are both 4matic.

The difference between the S6 and RS6 is even more blurred as they even have the same engine (in a different state of tune with smaller turbos in the case of the S6 and a different gearbox) but there's nearly £40K in price difference. That's a big chunk of change for about 25% more performance.

I was always drawn to E500's (and laterly E400's) and it's not unlikely I'd be in one of those if they were available to the UK.

The E43 Estate was the obvious route for us to go with the same engine as our SL. The limited colour and interior choice and the external looks put me off.

There were one or two options that Audi offer that were very appealing that MB don't offer at all.

For £1300 I extended the full factory warranty to 5 years (90k mile limit), this is only available when ordering from new, it can't be added later.

For £2500 I can paint the car any colour at all (as long as it's not a three coat process). For a similar amount I can have the interior trimmed any colour I like.

By the end of the month I'll be finding out if the grass is actually greener on the Audi side. Or Orange in my case.

Just ordered a new E class and I looked at the A6 and 5 series as alternatives.

The A6 is an oldish design now and the interior (and we all have our opinions here!) in my view was blown away but the E class widescreen cockpit interior. Also the A6 was a little small for boot space compare to the e class. Although I agree that the S6 has a great engine.

The 5 series wasn't available for me to view in estate form and all we could look at was the old version.

It will be interesting to see how reliable the new e class given a few of the threads here (although I suspect that their might be a quieter silent majority of happy owners). My current and previous e classes have both been extremely reliable.

I am facing the same sort of dilemma, I am going for a more powerful car as my next one, looking at a 2015/6 model and as hard as i have tried i just don't like the back end of the E63, everything else says go for it but this will stop me. Presently looking at M5's or may stretch to a M6, although there is about a £10k premium to go for the M6 over the M5, Not sure why but Audi's don't do it for me.

By the end of the month I'll be finding out if the grass is actually greener on the Audi side. Or Orange in my case.[/QUOTE]

Ohh! That sounds a nice car:D Double the power I have in mine and without those vulgar RS6 wheel arches. ...and in orange:eek:
I just love subtle;):thumb:

"or may stretch to a M6" As per last week's Autocar magazine

Apparently M6 are the highest % discounted new cars for sale in the UK. Don't overpay for one!

I suspect that their might be a quieter silent majority of happy owners). My current and previous e classes have both been extremely reliable.

I barely posted anything about my 211 for three years as there was nothing much to say except to report back on yet another effortless jaunt to the South of France and back.

By the end of the month I'll be finding out if the grass is actually greener on the Audi side. Or Orange in my case.

Ohh! That sounds a nice car:D Double the power I have in mine and without those vulgar RS6 wheel arches. ...and in orange:eek:
I just love subtle;):thumb:[/QUOTE]

There's orange, then there's orange. It's the one on the right out of these two.

These faux garden centre milk churns got painted about 5 times each until I found something I liked!

jugs_zpsryfux3nc.jpg

Yes, that's a rather subtle 'Burnt Orange'
At least you've not been 'tango'ed ;)
I must have had dozen A6 Avants in the last 18 years in every colour except that! Ordering one every 4 months at one point (Company cars run to 8k miles) I would just get a light coloured one in the summer, so it didn't get too hot, and grey one in winter so it didn't show the dirt!
Yours should be something very special and quite unique:thumb:

Thinking of going for a bit of a different colour next maybe sakhir orange.

To the OP....probably just a bit of buyers remorse. I still get twinges of it from time to time after 5 months of ownership, or when I see an XE on the road, or a Tesla :)

The trouble with BMW's is the drivers, especially the Chauffeurs

BMW drivers seem to insist on driving their small engined cars beyond their abilities.

And even the Chauffeurs are bad, as I'm sure you'll remember from this:

https://youtu.be/b5eoNyWUz8I

BMW-Films.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom