Disappointed with my car. Respect to the 335d!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to work on VW's Beetles :( years ago and ran a 1776cc hand built engine
that would run all day at 13 sec on the strip, and even the wife drove it to Tesco's
shopping lol

You guys are SERIOUSLY underestimating the power of the 125cc engine in the Vespa.

No we're not. My wife had a 125cc vespa whilst we were courting. I know precisely how slow they are...

So I have a F30 335d currently, this is an xDrive as they don't do a rear wheel drive model anymore.

0-60mph is claimed at 4.8 seconds so not far off a 6.2 C63 (4.6 with launch control). The difference is with 4 wheel drive there's no skill required, you can fully plant the accelerator from nothing and it'll just shoot off the line. I doubt in a C63 you'd get a start often that's going to beat the 4 wheel drive 335d to 60.

So now the 335d is ahead and already at 60. How far above the speed limit and for how long would you need to go to gain and overtake? Could be 100+ mph before you've caught and taken him. So on public roads the better traction and more torque that's available much sooner can easily win out.

I'm changing my 335d for a C63S however. That engine with a turbo does have more torque than the 335d and you can feel it. So I'll still need a really good start or launch control to beat a 335d to 60mph but once I'm off the line I'll feel more pinned back to my seat and that for me is more of what I'm after. That and the engine note and to own a V8 before the environmentalists outlaw them.

I've not driven the original C63 however the people that have driven both claim the new C63 is a lot quicker. It's not hugely up on bhp, it'll be because the turbos are giving it more torque and earlier on. I imagine the supercharger transforms the old C63 but without it on public roads it's not as quick as you'd suspect. Probably why some here say a Golf R could give it a run for its money with 4 wheel drive and low end torque from being turbo charged.

Hi,
Other scenario is 335d badges on something petrol and more potent?
Would be the sort of sneaky thing that I would do!
Cheers
Steve

The only petrol 3 series that is more potent is an M3 and that would have quad exhausts to give the game away even if it was rebadged. The 335d is faster than the 335i. It's got more bhp and more torque in the diesel.

Last edited:
You people are SERIOUSLY misunderstanding the BMW 3.0 Twin Turbo Diesel engines.

Nah, just struggling to understand how a car that's 200bhp down and the same weight is leaving cars for dust. Something is amiss. You can bang on about torque all you like. The c63 has 480lbs/ft stock, must be 530-530 remapped?

I could believe kept up with...........just about if it was heavily modded.

Since when was a 335d 4 wheel drive? Plus that wouldn't help on a rolling start anyways.

Either the 335d was seriously modified, ya Merc is broken, or you forgot to put ya foot right down to the floor. Ive noticed mine has a very long pedal travel, maybe you were only 50% throttle lol.:rock:

Talking about BMW Diesel engines, I here that the 50d (only available in x5 or x6 in UK) is also a 3.0 litre engine with triple turbos!!!

How fast would that be?

I had a 335d new back in 2007. I had it remapped by Evolve to 365bhp and 570lb/ft, it did 13.2-13.3 sec 1/4 miles at Santa Pod and 167mph at VMax. It featured in BMW Car Mag in a shootout with standard and tuned 335d & 335i's. It was on a par with an E90/92 M3 (414bhp) from s standing start to 160mph. On the move it would always have the edge but would never pull a big gap. At Santa Pod the M3's were doing similar 1/4's if launched well, the M5's (500bhp) were doing 12.5-12.7 sec 1/4's. On the move an M5 would struggle to drop the 335d.

I would expect a remapped C63 to be quicker than the 335d, not by that much but enough to be able to reel it in.

Jules.

Last year I had a 640D for a few days I believe 308hp and allot of TQ, it was a good car, handled really well for its size it went well too but at the time I thought my C350 coupe with 306hp was quicker in a straight line, just didn't feel that quick to me.

Last year I had a 640D for a few days I believe 308hp and allot of TQ, it was a good car, handled really well for its size it went well too but at the time I thought my C350 coupe with 306hp was quicker in a straight line, just didn't feel that quick to me.

That chick has nice arms

Grovsie31;2140880 Since when was a 335d 4 wheel drive? Plus that wouldn't help on a rolling start anyways.[/QUOTE said:
BMW were losing sales in winter time due to RWD and poor traction - so introduced X drive (4wd) versions of the 3 series. End result - 335d is now a 4 wheel drive car!
0-60 claimed as 4.8 seconds - not too shabby for a diesel!

Is this some sort of joke?

Not sure how a 500+ bhp V8 AMG could be out accelerated by a diesel albeit a twin turbo one... Even if it was a modded / remapped 335d still confusing.

Bit of a mystery really!

If this was me, on a serious note. I'd sell my C63 immediately. I know deisel cars are fast nowadays but a mapped C63 should be seeing it off, esp at 3 figure speeds...

Is this some sort of joke?

Not sure how a 500+ bhp V8 AMG could be out accelerated by a diesel albeit a twin turbo one... Even if it was a modded / remapped 335d still confusing.

Bit of a mystery really!

If this was me, on a serious note. I'd sell my C63 immediately. I know deisel cars are fast nowadays but a mapped C63 should be seeing it off, esp at 3 figure speeds...

I'm sure the new C63's will have no problem on a rolling start as I've driven one and it felt night and day quicker than my 335d.

I don't know about the old one though but it does have less torque and the torque isn't all available until quite high in the rev band. On a very long run, a race track, etc the old C63 is going to be quicker but on public roads where you'd have to be license losing speeds I can see how it might not be quicker.

Looking at torque / HP graph the old C63 needs to be around 5,000rpm before it makes as much HP as the 335d is making much lower in the rev range. So you'd need to shift late and keep above say 6k rpm to pull on him as at 5k you'd be merely keeping up. As he's got more hp lower down even without 4 wheel drive he should take the lead from a standing start.

Low down torque and 4 wheel drive is what will get you in front on a short blast on public roads. I've actually had a go against an old C63 but I don't think he was planning on it (My current car is debadged) so I got the jump on him. I got a bit of a lead and he was unable to catch me before I needed to slow for a roundabout.

I know most people I've met who are anti turbos complain about turbo lag and the like but it is pretty much all but gone these days. If you want to be faster on a public road you need the early shove a turbo gives you vs a NA engine. That or a supercharger ;)

Last edited:
Talking about BMW Diesel engines, I here that the 50d (only available in x5 or x6 in UK) is also a 3.0 litre engine with triple turbos!!!

How fast would that be?

That engine is also available in the 550d for LHD markets only, but supposedly the lump won't fit into the 3 series, which is a shame.

S

BMW were losing sales in winter time due to RWD and poor traction - so introduced X drive (4wd) versions of the 3 series. End result - 335d is now a 4 wheel drive car!
0-60 claimed as 4.8 seconds - not too shabby for a diesel!

True, but still slower than an E55K, which has torque in bucketloads from idle...

Pah! I spit upon your farty diesels, and your farty normally-aspirated and turbocharged cars...

Rataxes, the problem we all have is you never know how much ACTUAL power the other car has...

Remaps and other forms of tuning are so common now that you're very likely to come up against a car with serioulsy more power than expected.

All you can do is make sure your car is performing as it should. Do a few timed runs, compare with the Autocar figures, take away a second or two to allow for whatever tuning you have and you'll be in a position to know if there's something wrong.

Then it's tiime to get down to the tuner and kick some ar*es!

I'm going out in my w124s multivalve diesel in a minute have some traffic light grand prix action with some amg's lol,all joking a side my mate has got a Nissan 370z and he got blown away by a mercedes 350 cdi e class saloon from two sets of traffic lights .put the first one down to not expecting a race and merc getting the jump second time just got blown away very funny

wouldn't surprise me ..... I have an alpina b3 biturbo which is a modified 335i and the end result is ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=740gShZJF1M

0 - 60 in 4.2 seconds
30 odd mpg

but again its a bmw the build quality is not as good in the cabin compared to the c63 and the exhaust note not quite the same... if I could i would go back to the c63

I have had a 535d in the past and it was remapped to 330ish bhp the thing was a monster and was easily able to keep up with a e46 M3 to around 120 ish...

I also had a E60 M5 which would eat anything from a rolling start but from stop was useless. No stopping the clutch slipping at low speeds...

The E55k is awsome lower end, where you want the power to be around town and ****ing around with your mates. The M5 needed to be around the redline to see it shine which was impossible around busy roads....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom