Driving Holidays Abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Richard

We're looking at doing something similar this year. Did you pre-book your hotel/b&b or just find somewhere nice and stay there?

Cheers

Andrew

The only hotels we pre-booked were for the first night or two. We did a mixture of camping and staying in hotels. (I enjoy camping as long as the weather is nice)

To be honest if you can pre-book it does make life a lot easier, as it saves you time having to search for a place to stay when you arrive somewhere. We got stuck a couple of times, (arrived in Turin on the same night as a Celtic match so all the hotels were full) but overall it was fine. As we were moving from place to place, staying from anything from 1 to 4 nights in each place it was harder to plan, especially as how long we stayed was dependant on how much we liked a place when we got there.

Originally posted by Brian WH
All booked- Two days at a Hotel south of Reims
Seven days at a Hotel near Chamonix - French Alps
Two days at a Hotel near Laon

Brian.

You said middle of June, we will be just outside Annecey from 19/06 till 03/07, not a million miles from Chamonix.

Tell me, have you been to Chamonix before, and if so, are you brave enough to go on the cable car to the Aguille du midi?? we will be going up it again this year, can't wait, looks like we'll be taking the same route as well. :bannana:

I think if it was just the two of us (me & g/f), we'd quite happily chance it, but we'll probably take 9 y/o Mike and possibly my 14 y/o girl (if she hasn't emigrated to Oz by then), so probably have to pre-book.

Cheers

Andrew

We went to France in the CLK at Easter - TMC works in France and it saved us from a major traffic jam....

Andrew,

Are you coming to France? If so when and where? The when is very important. Right now you wouldn't have a problem finding accomodation. Further into the season it is wise to have found your hotel by 4pm. Avoid August completely if you can, most of France takes a holiday then, the crowds and prices are best avoided.
For autoroute journeys you can prebook with Formula 1 or Campagnile.

Bob

Thanks Bob. We haven't planned a route yet (not sure if we're doing it yet!), but would like to end up in Italy. August will be avoided as I've just found out my daughter is emigrating to Oz in August :( , so probably late July. Never took my car abroad, so this would be a new experience.

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by Dave Elcome
Brian.

You said middle of June, we will be just outside Annecey from 19/06 till 03/07, not a million miles from Chamonix.

Tell me, have you been to Chamonix before, and if so, are you brave enough to go on the cable car to the Aguille du midi?? we will be going up it again this year, can't wait, looks like we'll be taking the same route as well. :bannana:

Yes we are there from 21st til 28th staying at Chinon near Sallanches in the hills. About 40 miles from Annecey. We have not been there before and would welcome any advise on where to visit mate.

No I am not into cable cars, but we will go and see the brave people on it, its supposed to be very steep and scarey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom