Driving Licence codes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baxlin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skoda Octavia and JZR 3 wheeler
I've today received my invitation to renew my Driving Licence as I approach age 70, but (possibly due to advanced age) I'm a bit confused as to whether I need categories C1 - medium size vehicle, and D1 - minibus.

I need to be able to drive a Transit type LWB occasionally, and DVLA quote "a MAM weight of 3500-7500kg". Anyone know what this is in respect of Transit type vans?

Also, the same weight limits seem to apply to minibuses, I thought they were defined by number of seats.

Anyone provide clarification, please, as to get C1 and D1, the application is "Application for a lorry or bus Licence", plus a medical examination report from a doctor. A bit OTT in my case, hence my question.......

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

I would have thought you're OK driving a LWB Transit on a "C", and it's essentially (rigid) small lorries that require a "C1".

I thought the catch with minibuses was whether it was for "hire or reward"; you need a different licence if you're going to be paid?

I find mine confusing too, but there is a section on "Direct.gov" that tells you what categories you need (and which ones you've already got).

You can go online and renew using the letter they sent you re.needing to renew as you are 70. Everything automatic , should just renew with existing classes unless you have commercial licence. Application is then lodged on line.Then all you need to do is send your old licence to DVLA with correct accompanying form , got mine back within 7 days

You can go online and renew using the letter they sent you re.needing to renew as you are 70. Everything automatic , should just renew with existing classes unless you have commercial licence. Application is then lodged on line.Then all you need to do is send your old licence to DVLA with correct accompanying form , got mine back within 7 days

I agree, but the letter says if you want classes C1 or D1 it can't be done online. I don't want to drive commercially, but I can't find categorical info. I suppose it hinges on what is a Transit LWB's MAM weight.

AFAIK they never made a Transit (van) with a GVW greater than 3500 Kg, so you'll be fine with just a category B.

If you're driving a Transit minibus with up to 8 passenger seats (9 people including the driver) again you're fine with a category B. If you need to go above this you'll need a D1, which enables you to drive a vehicle with up to 16 passenger seats that's less than 8m in length.

HTH!

Cheers,

Gaz

Looks like I'm OK then, I just want to be able to drive a support van for half a dozen middle aged cyclists over three or four days in the summer.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

Malcolm

Because you passed your test before 1/197 you have Acquired Rights, more commonly called Grandfather Rights and as such are ENTITLED to have various categories on your licence including, for example, a minibus up to 16 passenger seats (D1) with trailer (D1 + E).

These are not things to be surrendered lightly so I would follow the advice from Smart320.

A good place to see the categories etc
Driving Licence Information

Because you passed your test before 1/197 you have Acquired Rights, more commonly called Grandfather Rights and as such are ENTITLED to have various categories on your licence including, for example, a minibus up to 16 passenger seats (D1) with trailer (D1 + E).

These are not things to be surrendered lightly so I would follow the advice from Smart320.

A good place to see the categories etc
Driving Licence Information

I agree about not wanting to lose the categories, but the letter clearly says if renewing online, C1 and D1 cannot be included, they have to be applied for by post, supported by form D2, and a medical exam form signed by a doctor or optician.

I also have motor cycle categories (test passed, not grandfathered) which I will fight tooth and nail to keep because of the grey area about 3wheeler driving: when a pal's post-70 Licence was issued, these had been removed, and as he still rides, it was a bit of a problem.......

I'm going to try and phone DVLA tomorrow, it's a freephone number, and as I'm retired I have all day!

Last edited:
Make sure you keep the licence that you have, or at least a photocopy for proof of category entitlement DVLA do make mistakes.
Your Motorcycle cat A should NOT show code 79 or tri alongside it if you have a full M/C licence.
Personally I would keep the original licence saying you have misplaced it, if you have any issues afterwards you can find it again... ;)

Looking at my wife's licence I see she has full Class C which means she can drive a rigid HGV without limit :thumb:. She thinks her Freelander is big enough.

Learnt to drive at school on a Russian truck as an alternative to knitting lessons.

Make sure you keep the licence that you have, or at least a photocopy for proof of category entitlement DVLA do make mistakes.
Your Motorcycle cat A should NOT show code 79 or tri alongside it if you have a full M/C licence.
Personally I would keep the original licence saying you have misplaced it, if you have any issues afterwards you can find it again... ;)

Yes, I took a photocopy of the reverse of my licence, and printed off a code statement dated the day I submitted my online app.

I agree, but the letter says if you want classes C1 or D1 it can't be done online. I don't want to drive commercially, but I can't find categorical info. I suppose it hinges on what is a Transit LWB's MAM weight.

We have a number of LWB Mercedes Sprinters , Vauxhall Movanos and the like at work , which are similar to LWB transits .

From memory , I think they are rated around the 3000 Kg mark . Certainly nowhere near 7.5T , which is the sort of small tail lift trucks you can hire from Ryder if moving house and drive on an ordinary licence .

I agree with the others about keeping copy of current licence showing entitlements , as there are lots of stories of DVLA removing them then shrugging it off if applicant has no proof .

Actually , thinking about it , look on the website of Ryder or other van hire companies - they will surely detail which licence category their hire vehicles fall into !

We have a number of LWB Mercedes Sprinters , Vauxhall Movanos and the like at work , which are similar to LWB transits .

From memory , I think they are rated around the 3000 Kg mark . Certainly nowhere near 7.5T , which is the sort of small tail lift trucks you can hire from Ryder if moving house and drive on an ordinary licence .

I agree with the others about keeping copy of current licence showing entitlements , as there are lots of stories of DVLA removing them then shrugging it off if applicant has no proof .
Thanks, Derek, but under the current regs the standard licence cut off is 3500 kg all-up weight (i.e. Inc driver, passengers, fuel, load etc) not 7.5T.

I think the 'current regs' you refer to are aimed at younger drivers than you or I ( or at least those who passed their tests later ) .

My licence , as I would imagine does yours , currently includes categories C1 , C1+E , D1 and D1+E .

In various employments , including local authorities , private companies and the Fire Service , I have driven large vans , including ones with modifications ( on board generators and other equipment ) which take them over 3500Kg , school minibuses up to 16 seats with and without trailers , and Ford Cargo tail lift trucks with MAM of 7.5T - all of this on my 'ordinary' driving licence without any additional tests taken after passing DOT driving test at age 17 in 1975 , and all with the full knowledge of employers transport departments and/or hirers having seen my licence , so I'm sure perfectly in order .

I know it is different for newer drivers , but this should not affect you or I , and you ought not to lose categories , even if it does mean applying by post and getting medical certificate , rather than online renewal .

I think we are both saying the same thing, Derek, as at today, I can drive up to 7.5 t, and 16 seats, but at age 70, in a couple of months' time, the grandfathering of C1 and D1 stops. My query was whether I needed the hassle of medical exam etc to keep these groups, and thanks to the help given by you and others on this thread, and talking to DVLA, I'm confident that I don't, and have applied online.

Malcolm

I wish you good luck with this , and with my 60th looming some months away , I'll be interested to hear how you get on .

I'd think once I retire , my van and minibus driving days will be behind me , but I'll still want to tow my small goods trailer , maybe the odd car trailer , and perhaps a caravan again .

I'd think once I retire , my van and minibus driving days will be behind me , but I'll still want to tow my small goods trailer , maybe the odd car trailer , and perhaps a caravan again .

I'm assured by DVLA that nothing apart from C1 and D1 will change, I asked about towing, and the reply was it's OK, provided the existing licence allows towing, and that the all up weight of the whole rig, i.e. car and trailer together, doesn't exceed 3500kg.

HTH

Malcolm

Impressed!

Submitted online on 7th March in the evening, received new licence in the post at 8.15 this morning, 11th. C1 and D1 removed, obviously, but everything else intact.

Not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom