• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

E350 or E250

MLC1

Car
C220
Hi any help appreciated. I am thinking of buying a Second Hand Diesel E Class 2010-2013 approx, and am wondering whether to opt for a E250 or E350. My motivations for buying is for a long commute to work and safety. I am aware there will be differences in insurance, fuel economy and considering cost of repair etc. However I am really interested to know what people would opt for if they had to choose between the two? TIA

The 250 wins on fuel economy by a fair margin. The 350 wins on refinement and performance.

Proportionally there are more high-spec (i.e. with lots of optional toys) 350's than 250's, but there are probably less 350's available than 250's.

Back in the day, I chose a 350 in preference to a 250, but both are very good and only you can decide what trade-offs you're prepared to make.

I am very interested to know the difference in safety performance of an E350 compared with E250. I imagine they perform similarly but for some reason am edging towards the E350 from that perspective.

I am very interested to know the difference in safety performance of an E350 compared with E250. I imagine they perform similarly but for some reason am edging towards the E350 from that perspective.
What does 'safety performance' mean?

They are exactly the same car with different engines.

I thought it was self explanatory.
Euro NCAP test cars all the time rating their 'safety performance'.
When you say 'They are they are exactly the same car with different engines' that's not strictly true is it? It is my understanding that there are significant differences in an E class and a C Class are there not?

The E350 will likely be better specced as standard, and potentially some of the standard features on the E350 might be active safety features, I.e. driver aids such as Distronic, lane keep assist, blind spot assist, etc.

But in any event, such features may have been specified as optional extras on some E250 cars as well, and so in short you should make a list of the active safety features that are relevant to you, and then check each particular vehicle, whether E350 or E250, to see if it has these.

I've never driven the 250. I have owned my 350 (updated 265hp engine) for 10 years, driven around 90k to date, averaging circa 47mpg. The bulk of my miles have been motorway (65mph) and A road (55-60mph when possible) cruising on my commute.

The OM642 engine is an absolute peach.

I thought it was self explanatory.
Euro NCAP test cars all the time rating their 'safety performance'.
When you say 'They are they are exactly the same car with different engines' that's not strictly true is it? It is my understanding that there are significant differences in an E class and a C Class are there not?

You mentioned two E-Class cars... Did you mean to ask about the difference in safety between an E-Class and a C-Class?

Sorry, I'm being a bit slow here.

The E250 and E350 are exactly the same car except for engine size. To be very specific, there might be different equipment and options extras on different cars, so to compare exactly like for like, I am referring to an E250 and an E350 with the same equipment (although I suspect there is little if not zero difference in NCAP safety rating because e.g. one car has an optional extra or different alloy wheel type etc).

I didn't understand the question was about the difference between a C and E class. Apologies for that.

If it helps, back in this era the Legendary Chris Harris ran the E250 estate as his family hack.

But then he did have a few other motors back in 2015, many of which he still owns to this day

994 Range Rover Vogue SE. 3.9 V8 'soft dash' 160,000 miles.
1990 Peugeot 205 XS. 95,000 miles. Completely standard.
1988 Citroen AX GT. 68,000miles, Completely standard.
1997 Mercedes E320 Sportline Cabriolet. 90,000 miles. Standard car.
1957 Land Rover Series One 107-inch Pick-up. MOT failure.
2003 VW Passat TDi 100 estate. Slow.
A BMW 325 rally car.
2011 Porsche GT3 RS 4.0
1986 BMW E28 M5
. 120,000 miles.

Screenshot 2024-10-19 at 12.34.49.png

I have the E250 and it’s a great balance of performance and economy, one thing that put me off with the early 350 is if the oil cooler seals go, it’s a big job to change and a known fault on early models. The 250 is very reliable motor , only fault I have heard is the cam chain tensioner can get sloppy, I do frequent oil changes and turn off stop/start to help with this.

Are they exactly the same apart from engines? My C350 (petrol) has larger discs than the C250.

OP, does MPG/£ drive the decision? If so, the 250.

If you want a little extra grunt and like “torque” then the 350.

I cover approx 200miles in 3.5 hours regularly and for me the 250 is great but 350 better all around (excl £/mile)…. ask me how I know - own and drive both. (FYI, the prefacelifted E250 is better at getting lane 3/4 hogs to remember “keep left” if you commute at pace).

We're in danger of going down a rabbit hole here.

Clearly there are detail differences twixt an E250 and an E350 in the same bodyshell (please let's not muddy the waters with comparing saloon, estate, coupe and cabriolet) mostly, but not exclusively, in terms of the engine and its installation. Do those differences affect the NCAP safety performance? No.

The answer to the OP's question as to if there's any difference between the safety performance of an E250 and an E350 is therefore "no". End of story.

The other “safety performance” feature to look out for is the airbag recall, make sure the one you buy has had the passenger airbag replaced or get it done soonest.
Mercedes can then update the ECU and unlock a tin of worms.

OP, does MPG/£ drive the decision? If so, the 250.

If you want a little extra grunt and like “torque” then the 350.

I cover approx 200miles in 3.5 hours regularly and for me the 250 is great but 350 better all around (excl £/mile)…. ask me how I know - own and drive both. (FYI, the prefacelifted E250 is better at getting lane 3/4 hogs to remember “keep left” if you commute at pace).
Thanks, no MPG/£ doesn't drive the decision entirely. Fuel efficiency and economy is important but I am interested in safety, longevity/mileage, cost of maintenance/repair etc. My work commute will average 180 motorway miles daily, 3-4 days/wk, so I will need a work horse but a comfortable one!!Lol I have seen a lovely E350 and very tempted

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom