• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mercedes E350 Advice

What a difference looks much fresher, I am going to de badge mine and change the merc badge for a black one. Does anyone know if the silly chrome trim on the doors comes off I.e no rivets holding them on? I no mine has never had paint as I’ve had the paint depth gauge on it so no it won’t have any masking/clear coat build up behind them. I also want to get rid of the merc badge on the bonnet and put a grill on when I find one I like.

What a difference looks much fresher, I am going to de badge mine and change the merc badge for a black one. Does anyone know if the silly chrome trim on the doors comes off I.e no rivets holding them on? I no mine has never had paint as I’ve had the paint depth gauge on it so no it won’t have any masking/clear coat build up behind them. I also want to get rid of the merc badge on the bonnet and put a grill on when I find one I like.
I don't know the answer to that mate but i would be careful as if the paint has changed a shade in the weather it will be noticable on the door.

So i had my first big drive yesterday picking my little girl up, the whole reason i got the car to be honest as its 200 mile round trip. Half way in, engine management light came on, limp mode.

Got it back home and she is in at Mercedes for diagnostics Monday.

I do have a warranty so upto £1000 be covered by them hopefully. Not a great start though. Heavy sigh.

So i had my first big drive yesterday picking my little girl up, the whole reason i got the car to be honest as its 200 mile round trip. Half way in, engine management light came on, limp mode.

Got it back home and she is in at Mercedes for diagnostics Monday.

I do have a warranty so upto £1000 be covered by them hopefully. Not a great start though. Heavy sigh.
Sorry to hear that, Marty, hope it's something simple and an easy fix, good luck for Monday. 🤞🙂

Thanks i appreciate the support. I suppose some luck is having a warranty to soften the blow and get any issues out the way now. I actually hope its the MAF / EGR to get them replaced now maybe with a contribution.

Il update when i know more.

One thing that definitely is prevalent is a hesitation when accelerating before this. From standstill / very slow a 1-2 seconds delay before it jumps into life. I read it is a fairly common thing but unsure on a fix. Thats for another day though.

Flamin hell fire lads, Mercedes almost condemed it ha.

# Dangerous Issues #
Rear differential leaking - Fix immediately.
Hole in rear sub-frame - Fix immediately.
Anti Roll Bar - one gator perished the other leaking - Fix immediately.
Ball joint - split - Fix immediately.
Engine oil leak - Needs attention! - This could well be the dreaded one!!
Both Front Brake discs perished extremely badly, replace very soon!

I would be asking questions how it even passed its MOT without any of the above even registering as an advisory.

# Engine Management Issue #
Engine Management light on and in limp home mode - ECU Wiring harness issue. - Reset for now.

It is also chipped! I thought it was flamin wild!

In negotiation with the dealer over taking it back for refund. Too much on that list to even begin to resolve. They keep saying its a 13 year old car, i said, agreed but its also an £8k car with loads wrong with it.

Flamin hell fire lads, Mercedes almost condemed it ha.

# Dangerous Issues #
Rear differential leaking - Fix immediately.
Hole in rear sub-frame - Fix immediately.
Anti Roll Bar - one gator perished the other leaking - Fix immediately.
Ball joint - split - Fix immediately.
Engine oil leak - Needs attention! - This could well be the dreaded one!!
Both Front Brake discs perished extremely badly, replace very soon!

I would be asking questions how it even passed its MOT without any of the above even registering as an advisory.

# Engine Management Issue #
Engine Management light on and in limp home mode - ECU Wiring harness issue. - Reset for now.

It is also chipped! I thought it was flamin wild!

In negotiation with the dealer over taking it back for refund. Too much on that list to even begin to resolve. They keep saying its a 13 year old car, i said, agreed but its also an £8k car with loads wrong with it.
Jesus Wept! Marty. o_O:oops: Sorry to hear about all that! :(

My ultra reliable 2013 C220 CDi Coupe is available if you get your money back? Very clean and still has 6 months Mercedes warranty.....

Gutted mate I feel for you mate. At least you are in a position to get your money back as you could have bought it privately and been in a real crap situation.

In my experience there is zero pragmatism applied in a main dealer to allow for the fact that the car is a 13 yr old £8k car and not a 6 month old £50k car.
Obviously the hole in the subframe needs fixing (which should be replaced by MB FOC anyway) - for the rest I would be wanting to have a look myself and decide whether these faults really are as dangerous as they sound and how bad the leaks are. Not sure what a leaking antiroll bar is btw. The brake discs are normal maintenance really. I have had main dealer advisories on a car in the past about a power steering tank fluid leak and recommended fixing when the car had done 40k miles.....I looked at it and it was not a leak it was more like a slight misting ......over 250k miles later (yes really) it was slightly more misted but still going strong.
I'm not saying one way or the other because I have not seen the car, just that you ought to look yourself before the car is condemned - the dealer from whom you bought the car is going to have something to say if it is returned and it turns out to be not as bad as it sounds.

In my experience there is zero pragmatism applied in a main dealer to allow for the fact that the car is a 13 yr old £8k car and not a 6 month old £50k car.
Obviously the hole in the subframe needs fixing (which should be replaced by MB FOC anyway) - for the rest I would be wanting to have a look myself and decide whether these faults really are as dangerous as they sound and how bad the leaks are. Not sure what a leaking antiroll bar is btw. The brake discs are normal maintenance really. I have had main dealer advisories on a car in the past about a power steering tank fluid leak and recommended fixing when the car had done 40k miles.....I looked at it and it was not a leak it was more like a slight misting ......over 250k miles later (yes really) it was slightly more misted but still going strong.
I'm not saying one way or the other because I have not seen the car, just that you ought to look yourself before the car is condemned - the dealer from whom you bought the car is going to have something to say if it is returned and it turns out to be not as bad as it sounds.
Hey man, anti roll bar, i could have mixed up, I haven't actually seen the paperwork so was just trying to remember what they said.

I understand the 13 year old car bit but the engine oil leak is a real worry as is the rear differential leak. The sub frame corrosion is an absolute red flag for me. Think a ball joint is goosed too. How with the above are there no advisories on an MOT, even a car inspection showed nothing, this matters as it would have affected my decision to buy it. Has to be a dodgy.

The dealer i got it from is taking it back to review. Probably will lead to some difficult conversations id imagine but as im within 30 days i don't think he has a strong argument personally.

Within 30 days you can reject for any reason you see fit....I did it myself on a EOS I bought for my wife. Don't mess about with inspections....it had faults when collected, its less than 30 days old...REJECT IT! Quote Consumer Rights Act 2015

Hey man, anti roll bar, i could have mixed up, I haven't actually seen the paperwork so was just trying to remember what they said.

I understand the 13 year old car bit but the engine oil leak is a real worry as is the rear differential leak. The sub frame corrosion is an absolute red flag for me. Think a ball joint is goosed too. How with the above are there no advisories on an MOT, even a car inspection showed nothing, this matters as it would have affected my decision to buy it. Has to be a dodgy.

The dealer i got it from is taking it back to review. Probably will lead to some difficult conversations id imagine but as im within 30 days i don't think he has a strong argument personally.
I guess the easiest option for you is just to reject the car....but then you start again looking for another one.
Obviously the dealer is going to be keen for you to keep the car so it's difficult for you to believe what they have to say if it is different to the MB dealer inspection.
Are you in a position to do your own assessment of the MB commentary or do you know someone skilled and trustworthy to do it for you?
otherwise you run the risk of rejecting what might still be a good car - with some of the jobs "needed".
It will also put you in a better position to negotiate with the dealer.

If you bought the car from a trader (i.e. not in a private sale), then the warranty covers the seller, not you. This is because you don't need it - you have your statutory warranty. The seller however will be able to avoid paying the first £1,000 because the warranty provider will cover it.

Alternatively, you could insist that the seller pay for the repair, thus avoiding making a claim on the warranty, if this helps you in any way (e.g. if there's an excess on the policy).

PS - and if things go pear shaped (hopefully not) then remember that you have the right to reject the car up to 30 days from purchase.

Sorry somehow missed the second page of posts, didn't realise that the statutory warranty issue has already been covered.

Just to add that hopefully it will be a minor issue and get resolved quickly, but if it turns out to be an issue with the NOx sensors or the AdBlue system then the repair cost at the dealer will be well above the £1,000 limit anyway.

Hi, here are a few pictures of some of the things just for information really.

I appreciate the input gents, i have read them all.

Im trying to reject the car, i don't have the time or patience to start to get these issues resolved. Id rather look around for something else as i have no confidence in the garage resolving any of them.

The car on the surface looks clean but with the attached and the engine management light issue (shows on the report that no fault found on the STAR machine) then it is just too much to take on. A hole in the subframe would be enough to reject it on its own i feel.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0601.jpeg
    IMG_0601.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Yep...that should not have a valid mot with that hole. There is no "trying to reject it" about it.....it's your right. Phone them, tell them when you are coming to drop the car off and get your money back. End of....move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom