E63 Purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you're looking to finance the car send me an email at [email protected]. Always happy to do a deal for a fellow forum member.

Car2 - Prestige Car Finance (@car2_car_finance) • Instagram photos and videos
Hi Gavin! Thanks I really appreciate that.
I’m just going to view it this Saturday and get a valuation on my car for part exchange and gets some figures so I know where I stand in all of it. But I’ll shoot an email anyway so I can compare and obviously take it all in!

My running costs are pretty similar to AlexM's too. Just totted it up and I've driven just over 56k miles in a Biturbo E63 since April 2014 and every one of those miles has been enjoyable.

I run mine on Momentum 99 pretty much exclusively, partly because I have to detour off my usual route to get V-Power, and partly because I object to Shell's premium pricing (ludicrous, admittedly, in the whole scheme of E63 ownership). Even when I've run successive tanks of V-Power my bum-dyno has detected no difference in performance to running Momentum, and mpg is no different either. So I save around £8 a fill and amass ClubCard points at a pleasing rate that gives me a couple of free Eurotunnel crossings a year :)

For tyres, I've run Pirelli P-Zeros, Conti 5P's and Goodyear Asymmetric 3's and of the three I reckon the Goodyear's give the best overall performance, with the Conti's a close second and, if you take cold & wet weather conditions into account, the Pirelli's are a distant third.

The M157 engine does use a bit of oil, but as others have said it gives you a warning in the instrument cluster if it needs topping up. Be aware that the warning will often only appear during sustained motorway-speed runs, so it's worth checking the dipstick every 3-4k miles too.

An MB ServiceCare Plan (£46 / mth currently for an E63) makes sense unless you are going to use a trusted indie, especially if you can time it so you get B-A-B services, and at least one of them includes a set of plugs and/or a transmission oil change.

In terms of total cost of ownership, the biggest single element is depreciation which is eye-watering in the first couple of years and then slows to just "very painful" level. The difference between dealer forecourt and trade-in prices is pretty large, even on a three or four year old car (typically £6-7k), so unless you want to be royally reamed don't even think about getting out of one in less than two years. Bearing in mind the high depreciation and the fixed service intervals, the cost per mile of ownership (if that concerns you) can be quite astronomic if you only do a small annual mileage. I solve that problem by driving around 13k miles a year in mine :)
I’m going to source petrol stations near me that do 98-99 Ron. Tyres I’m going to leave on for a bit then when I can I’ll change them to all round better performance ect. With the plan I’ll be covered for any parts ect for servicing and mot ect, Oran just the breaks tyres ect that obviously I have to pay for which is with most ads anyway. I’m not bothered about deprication as it’s my dream car so I want to keep it for a while, even after like 5 years he mileage on it will still be less than 50k miles if that.

I've run successive tanks of V-Power my bum-dyno has detected no difference in performance to running Momentum, and mpg is no different either

You don't use premium fuels to increase power. It's more that the car demands a diet of 98 or above given it has a turbocharged engine that runs high compression ratios. The higher RON rating helps to prevent / reduce preignition and knocking. Premium fuels aren't something that is occasionally used for when you want extra power/MPG. It's something compulsory in an AMG as stated in the manual.

Even on v-power's website, they state that performance is not gained but potentially restored.
Shell V-Power Unleaded
The premium fuels contain additives that clean your intake valves/injectors etc and remove performance robbing deposits. If you've been running premium fuel for a while chances are your fuel system components are clean anyway. Hence why no noticeable increase in MPG or power so feel free to use whatever you want as long as the RON rating is correct. (In this case 98+)

Yeah mines about about 10 miles away for v power but there are closer Tesco’s and bp ect so will glance around.
I’ll look into pads too, I’m looking to get remap and ipe downpipes from MSL :)
Never actually heard anyone getting IPE downpipes for the E63. Didn't even know they exist. Is there any particular reason you want IPE?

Yeah I didn’t either but they said I can have a map dyno and cks down pipes or ipe downpipes, ipe sounds so much more raw and aggressive from the videos I heard.

You don't use premium fuels to increase power. It's more that the car demands a diet of 98 or above given it has a turbocharged engine that runs high compression ratios.
I think we're talking on crossed purposes: I fully understand about the anti-knock properties of 98- vs .95-octane fuel and am well aware that the E63 (and my wife's SLK55) both mandate 98 RON fuel as a minimum octane rating.

My comment regarding performance on V-Power was simply because some people claim to notice better performance when running it, but I don't. My use of the word "premium" was a reference to the price premium that Shell charge, not about a premium product or grade.

Yeah I didn’t either but they said I can have a map dyno and cks down pipes or ipe downpipes, ipe sounds so much more raw and aggressive from the videos I heard.
Are you sure you're looking at downpipes for the 5.5 biturbo? I can understand if it's the old 6.2 but a lot of youtube videos of IPE (the catback) on E63 are of the 6.2.

Mind sharing one of these videos?

some people claim to notice better performance when running it
I was just clarifying that better performance only comes from the cleaning additives in that it restores performance rather than the fuel itself magically increasing BHP or MPG. For this reason, 'some people' should have no reason to expect better performance provided they use premium fuels from time to time i.e, fuels with additives.

Are you sure you're looking at downpipes for the 5.5 biturbo? I can understand if it's the old 6.2 but a lot of youtube videos of IPE (the catback) on E63 are of the 6.2.

Mind sharing one of these videos?
Actually looking back at it, it does say 6.2l hmmm don’t suppose anyone has any videos??

Just sent an email back to see if they’ve got any videos of the ipe downpipes on an w212 e63. Id like mine to sound similar to the bloke who’s got that red and black vinyl wrapped cl63. That things sounds as raw and aggressive as it gets!

Just sent an email back to see if they’ve got any videos of the ipe downpipes on an w212 e63. Id like mine to sound similar to the bloke who’s got that red and black vinyl wrapped cl63. That things sounds as raw and aggressive as it gets!
You mean Amo's cl63?

His is a 6.2L N/A. You won't get the same sound with the E63 BiTurbo. Personally I find it a tad loud, though. Mine's with sport cats and already it's too loud.
Mine with RADO DP + Capristo Catback

Ah makes sense bo
You mean Amo's cl63?

His is a 6.2L N/A. You won't get the same sound with the E63 BiTurbo. Personally I find it a tad loud, though. Mine's with sport cats and already it's too loud.
Mine with RADO DP + Capristo Catback
Yeah that’s him! I didn’t was say his name Incase I wasn’t allowed. I follow him on insta, I’ve seen your profile a few times too! Ah makes sense now! Yeah it’s loud but I like the raw sound to it. Nice car mate that sounds amazing!!!! :) I’ll see what they come back with, with the vids but I’ll let you know.

Reactions: Kei
used shell 100 when I could get it in europe , did seem to get at least 30 miles more per tank

Don't buy the car if you are susceptible to interior rattles as they are terrible for plastic on plastic movement, in both summer and winter.

The dash is the worse area.

I'm putting up with it, just, however I wouldn't buy another.

used shell 100 when I could get it in europe , did seem to get at least 30 miles more per tank
In my experience the better fuel economy is due to being able to maintain a constant speed for longer periods when driving in Continental Europe as opposed to the regular accelerate, short cruise, coast down, brake, accelerate again that driving in the UK entails.

It's more that the car demands a diet of 98 or above given it has a turbocharged engine that runs high compression ratios.
That's alright if you live somewhere that actually has 98 RON or more.
The best we get in Northern Ireland is 97.

I picked up my 2014 E63 (facelift) 5.5BiT back in November last year from MB Gatwick, went main dealer route as it gave me a 2 year warranty included, so was worth the slight uplift in price over a private seller.

Running costs wise from what I have spent so far -

£550 Road Tax
£600 Insurance (I probably could have got it for around £500 but my insurer (Aviva) will allow me to go to an AMG Performance Centre for any repairs at no extra cost)
£36/month ServiceCare for 3 years...

Fuel wise, I average 250ish miles on £80 of Shell V-Power... Around town is a killer 16-18mpg, motorway, if i am using cruise control and not dropping 2 gears and red-lining for every overtake I can easily achieve 29mpg...

I do approximately 500 miles a month, its not a daily for me as I commute to London or work from home a lot so its not a massive fuel bill for me, and to be honest doesnt feel like I spent any more than I did with my last car being an E350 cab...

Like you, I have always wanted an E63 (Estate) but settled for a Saloon as that was the compromise with the wife. It's an amazingly capable car and the noise and feel are both amazing! I would find it very hard to replace this car with something else when the time comes.

In my experience the better fuel economy is due to being able to maintain a constant speed for longer periods when driving in Continental Europe as opposed to the regular accelerate, short cruise, coast down, brake, accelerate again that driving in the UK entails.
Wasn't that as a lot of the driving were passes like the stelvio grimsel gotthard and others driven fairly briskly. I meant compared to days doing these passes when I had only 95 or 97 ron in the car due to availability

Don't buy the car if you are susceptible to interior rattles as they are terrible for plastic on plastic movement, in both summer and winter.

The dash is the worse area.

I'm putting up with it, just, however I wouldn't buy another.
Don’t worry ive got a 2013 eclass facelift pretty much exactly the same set up, does have annoying rattles here and there but I usually blare our some radio to compensate Hahahaha!!

detected no difference in performance to running Momentum,

They are both 99RON only difference being Momentum has a slightly higher ethanol content :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom