E63S brake caliper paint recommendation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rataxes

Car
E63s
I recently bought a two year old E63S. I didn't notice when I bought it that a significant area of the red paint on one of the brake calipers has flaked off (see attached pic).

I've taken the car to my local dealer (not the one I bought the car from) and they've told me Mercedes don't supply caliper paint and their paint shop can't mix me a paint.

They did say Mercedes had agreed, subject to sending it for inspection, that they would replace the caliper under warranty but I would have to pay for it first at a cost of £1036.20 fitted! If after inspection Mercedes decide the paint flaking off is due to something other than defective manufacturing they won't pay and I will be left to foot the bill! I'm obviously not prepared to risk that.

So after all that, can anyone recommend a good quality red caliper paint I can perhaps apply myself? I've done an internet search and there are a few about but I want a good colour match and decent finish.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0041 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0041 (Small).JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 67
The tos5ers at Merc will tell you it's your wheel cleaner. If you want to go the whole way, get them powder coated.

I suspect that has happened when someone has lazily put a wheel on.

Had it a few times on my C63 with factory red calipers. Halfords red caliper paint is a perfect match. Go to somewhere like Hobbcraft and get a small art brush to apply it just to the chip, maybe a few coats to build it up to the level of the factory finish.

But for me on the C63, the colour match was perfect.

S

I recently bought a two year old E63S. I didn't notice when I bought it that a significant area of the red paint on one of the brake calipers has flaked off (see attached pic).

I've taken the car to my local dealer (not the one I bought the car from) and they've told me Mercedes don't supply caliper paint and their paint shop can't mix me a paint.

They did say Mercedes had agreed, subject to sending it for inspection, that they would replace the caliper under warranty but I would have to pay for it first at a cost of £1036.20 fitted! If after inspection Mercedes decide the paint flaking off is due to something other than defective manufacturing they won't pay and I will be left to foot the bill! I'm obviously not prepared to risk that.

So after all that, can anyone recommend a good quality red caliper paint I can perhaps apply myself? I've done an internet search and there are a few about but I want a good colour match and decent finish.

Thanks.

You might find that this is a simpler fix than you think - try sanding it back lightly and then masking off and spraying some clear lacquer over the calliper. A few years ago I had a similar issue with the Brembos on a Seat Leon and this was the recommended fix. Worked a treat and they started off far worse than your picture.

Oh right, didn't notice the peeling lacquer - I had that too from toasting the brakes on a track day. Bit of T-Cut, some polish and GTechniq C5 brought a glossy finish back so you could not really notice.

S

It looks your paint is ok it's the lacquer is peeling I guess it's started from one small chip
As said in previous post just sand it down with 1500 sandpaper and spray few coats of clear coat first coat take it easy just a bit dry making a ground to stick for the second and third coat with 10-15 min between the coats.
And hopefully that will sort it out

Thanks for the advice chaps. I'll give it a go this weekend.

Cheers.

One solution is to buy a pack of Folliac calliper paint, you get a tin of red paint plus the special clear coat paint, absolutely fantastic paint ! can't be beaten ! I did all my callipers 12 months ago and they look great !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom