Familiar E55 W211 Moved to New Home Further North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here are the bearing types I'm going to use to rebuild the pulleys.

FAG 6303-2RSR-C3
20191009_174812.jpg

FAG 6203-C-2HRS-C3
20191009_175120.jpg

The bearings should last longer since they have the seals fitted rather than just the metal ones on the originals.

Anyone got the Torque settings to hand for followiing?

1. Double Idler Pulley, bolt to engine.
2. Tensioner bolts to engine.

looks like new (better than!)

Been looking this morning at getting the tensioner pulley back together and back on.

On looking at the setup the standard pulley is as such.
The large washer locates on the outside of the centre bearing holder on the pulley with the 10mm collar of the bolt going through the washer centre hole which is just over 10mm.
20191015_113209.jpg

When changing to the ASP pulley set it looks like the standard setup is this.
Use the same bolt with the 10mm lug going into the 17mm centre of the bearing with a larger 24mm washer added.
20191015_113248.jpg
Does not seem like an ideal solution to me.

I'm going to go with this, the ASP pulley and add Mercedes bolt A0009902906.
The bolt has a collar just less then 17mm so locates nicely into the centre of the new bearing.
Head size is 24mm so same as the washer above, the bolt is about 7mm longer and sticks out the back of the idler 5mm but that should not be a problem.
20191015_113320.jpg

Pulled the fog light out, can't see any cracks or anything so have dried it and will fit it back in morning.

Bummer, just noticed the front left fog is half full of water and car hasn't turned a wheel for a while.
Wonder where that is getting in!

Note to self, must fit pulleys and go for drive......

Pity..I have an drivers side fog light thats going up for sale with a couple of other bits shortly.
Shame they aren't able to be swapped.

Went to refit the pulleys today but it is a little tight between the pulleys and the fan housing to get a torque wrench in.

Pulled the fan housing out to get a bit more clearance which took a little longer than expected (pain to get the fan out).
Good idea as it gives me better access to get in clean around this area, the slam panel and the fan itself.

Will check that fog light out too while I have the front undertray off.

Today I thought I'd double check the pulley for the supercharger clutch, just a little bit of noise from it.

You guessed it, I took it off, actually quite dirty when bearing removed and noise louder.

20191025_184936.jpg

Got the pulley all cleaned up ready to install a new bearing.

20191025_185218.jpg

Noticed the alternator pulley is fixed (doesn't free wheel in opposite direction) , assume these are not the clutch overrun type and this is correct?

I also need to add something onto the car to get the Ctek charger into the boot and be able to close the boot.

Got the new bearing fitted into the pulley tonight.
The wife thought I was cooking with the oven!

Might not get it back on tomorrow as have to go fight to get some locking wheel bolts off a Citroen.
Tyre fitter has air gunned the bolt with the lock key and stripped the bolt, makes me mad as the key comes in a little bag with a "no airgun" picture.

20191025_225103.jpg

Put the idler, tensioner and supercharger pulley back on today along with new belts.

Removed that fog light and can't see where the water is getting in other than the bulb fitting, water was leaking out there so I'll get a new o ring for the seal.

Refitted that fog light today, looked like it was not sealing correctly.

Put the other bits back together for the pulley and went for a run, noticeably quieter with just the sound of the supercharger so that is good news.

Bad news is got these errors:

20191117_143657.jpg

20191117_143712.jpg

Might be steering angle sensor, will put Star on it.

Off to the pub for now, easier just getting drunk, I'm good at that. :)

Checked with Star today.

4D41 Check component N49 (Steering angle sensor).

Steering angle sensor now out, I've just come to the conclusion that I like taking things to bits. :)

Probably not going to like the cost of a new sensor!
I wonder if it can come to bits for cleaning, might be worth a try.

20191118_165109.jpg

Fitted back in today, tested on Star while stationery, no errors where before I got an error after turning the wheel lock to lock.

Went for a short drive, no errors, both (ESP & Active Light) have now gone.

Could be a result, I wonder how many of these get changed when they just need stripped and cleaned?

All of them i reckon Pat, Throw away society, old school mechanics are a dying breed most are just fitters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom