First drive of a V10 M5......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterg1965

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Audi Q7, 2018 Mini Cooper S, 2016 Porsche 718 Boxster S
....... and I am smitten :D

Now the CLK55 has gone I would really like an E60 M5, eight cylinders was simply not enough :D . I have a friend in the local BMW dealership who knows I am on the look out. I came back from holiday on Wednesday and I got a call on Thursday!

It was absolutely immense. A 30 minute test drive doesn't even begin to scratch the surface though - 60 odd combinations of SMG gearbox settings/DSC modes/M settings - most of which I would never use (probably).

The point of the car to me is that it is an 'affordable' supercar in a saloon body that sounds absolutely sublime and looks understated but aggressive and purposeful. The Sequential Manual Gearbox clearly takes a bit of getting used to, it was jerky but much better when just slightly lifting off the throttle under the absolutely awesome acceleration. My salesman friend was sitting in the back (my son was in the front) and talking me through it but decided that he should belt in as I passed 250 bananas an hour - I thought i was doing a lot less - honest! The head up display is a great toy, when selecting M dynamic mode, which gives you all of the 507 bhp the head up display changes and a rev counter appears around the speed, in non M mode you have to put up with a mere 400 horses. :p

The car had just been taken in part that morning - previous owner had chopped to a BMW 330d! I got the call as he knew I was 'casually' looking for an M5. It was in Interlagos Blue with black leather, not my first choice of colour - I much prefer Silverstone II (very light blue). Condition was excellent and history impeccable (demo with Bateman BMW and one of their local customers - a mature gentleman!). Spec was good but did not include M functional active seats - it had; rear/front heated seats, LOGIC 7, privacy, electric blind, rear entertainment (a BMW dealer fit), Bluetooth - 33,000 miles and a December 2005 55 plate. Mine for 'just' £31995, which is probably about right compared to other AUC cars. These cars have actually appreciated in value since late 2008.

Will I buy it? not this one, timing is bad so I will wait and bide my time as I suspect I may have to wait until the GL goes back at the end of the contract in the new year. I would really want a Silverstone II car and one with M seats. However, appetite has been well and truly whetted! There are plenty of thrashed examples out there so I suspect an AUC car is the way to go.

:bannana:

Peter - what is an AUC car?
Have a go in the new Jag XFR -- It had better write ups than the M5...and is an awesome car to drive....I loved it.:D

AUC = Approved Used Car.

Will look at the XFR, but I had read a contrary article which suggested the M5 was the better all round car. In any case, I will not be buying a brand new M5/XFR so that probably discounts it. If I were to go down the brand new route I am quite taken by the new A5 Sportback 3.2 TFSI Quattro.

AUC = Approved Used Car.

Will look at the XFR, but I had read a contrary article which suggested the M5 was the better all round car. In any case, I will not be buying a brand new M5/XFR so that probably discounts it. If I were to go down the brand new route I am quite taken by the new A5 Sportback 3.2 TFSI Quattro.

Hi, forget the A5 sport back. There is a honey in that range in the form of the S4 avant with DSG gearbox with the fancy rear diff. It get rave reviews, is a proper estate and much more powerful than the normal A5 3.2TFSi. A few used ones will be knocking about too ;)

I'd have the M5 also, but also try an E63, C63, S6 or an RS6 too. All are nice big fast cars.

The XFR was praised for being a more rounded car, but the M5 is a force to be reckoned with and at the money they are going for very tempting. AUC is the way to go, its a complex engine and a dealer back up a must IMHO.

Interlagos is a great colour for them, a client of mine moved from the V8 to the V10 and is appalled at the running costs but if you're used to an AMG car it's not going to be much worse, apart from fuel - the V10 is a thirsty beast.

Good choice though.

Yep, single digits to low teens from the V10 M5. Maybe high teens or 20 on a gentle run. Probably no worse than a bentley arnage which is a delightful car.

Maybe thats why BMW have moved onto these souless downsized turbo'd engines, but being daft they put them in M car SUV's. Shame.

The E60 (along with the E90 M3- which in saloon form you should consider too) might become one of the last great M cars before silly hysterical theories of carbon this and global that killed them off.

Cheers Steve.

I reckon the E/C 63 will be will out of my price range, if they weren't I would be seriously tempted by a C63 estate. As for the Audis the RS6 is also a V10 (I think) and is not highly regarded and I will take a look at the S4 avant when I go and peek at the A5 Sportback. Is the S4 Avant you are talking about the 4.2 Q or the 3.0 Turbo?

Yep, single digits to low teens from the V10 M5. Maybe high teens or 20 on a gentle run. Probably no worse than a bentley arnage which is a delightful car.

Maybe thats why BMW have moved onto these souless downsized turbo'd engines, but being daft they put them in M car SUV's. Shame.

The E60 (along with the E90 M3- which in saloon form you should consider too) might become one of the last great M cars before silly hysterical theories of carbon this and global that killed them off.

The one I drove the other day had the trip computer registering 20.4 mpg, which is ok (even good for an M5!) and I know to expect alot less if pressing on. To be honest though, I like to think I am not a lunatic driver and despite the temptation would not be blasting everywhere and acceleratibg as hard as possible (all the time). As a lot of my driving would be motorway I would hopefully expect to stay around the 20mpg mark. If I take the plunge though I would want to take it on a track at least once just to experience the power properly!

I am also an E90 M3 fan, I drove a M3 convertible DCT a few weeks back, absolutely awesome. They are maintaining quite strong residuals though.... and I just feel that an M5 is a once in a lifetime opportunity, even if it is only for a year or so.

Peter - I had an M5 on order but cancelled it after driving a blown AMG (E class) which is a superior real world car in every way, you have to drive a 5.5 K before you buy the beemer its not as PS3 but it is a lot of aural / sensory pleasure. I was in a 530i sport 5 years or so ago with the multi seats and couldnt get comfy in them as my mind was always thinking "would i be comfier if I adjusted the ..."

Please try a 5.5k in an E or a CLS befor you commit - they will also be cheaper than £32k for 05 / 33k, my 06 25k is now worth approx £30k against another Merc so less against an Audi or BM

Cheers Steve.

I reckon the E/C 63 will be will out of my price range, if they weren't I would be seriously tempted by a C63 estate. As for the Audis the RS6 is also a V10 (I think) and is not highly regarded and I will take a look at the S4 avant when I go and peek at the A5 Sportback. Is the S4 Avant you are talking about the 4.2 Q or the 3.0 Turbo?

Nah, the newer 3litre T engine, which confusingly is supercharged but badged T. They always did say the Germans had a strange sense of humour.

It gets a great review in all the motoring mags, Evo, Top Gear and Car magazine IIRC have tested it and claimed it to be great. Some have them in their long term fleet.

The RS and S6 aren't as highly regarded but have characterful 10 clyinder engines and are a nicely packaged car, worth looking to make sure as you may like it...

The older S4 was a 4.2 V8 and was regarded as not as great, your money may get you into the 4.2quattro RS4 which was a legendary car and also something you should consider....

Yes indeed. A conti would probably be cheaper to run than an M5 overall. The Arnage is a different league though.

I read recently that the M5 will become a V8 turbo next time round. But then I've read rumours that the future of AMG lies in the same way.

I'm a fan of turbo engines though - always feels special having something that is waiting to kick you in the back shortly after dumping the pedal to the floor.

Yes indeed. A conti would probably be cheaper to run than an M5 overall. The Arnage is a different league though.

I read recently that the M5 will become a V8 turbo next time round. But then I've read rumours that the future of AMG lies in the same way.

I'm a fan of turbo engines though - always feels special having something that is waiting to kick you in the back shortly after dumping the pedal to the floor.

The Arnage is the last of the hand built bentleys. A client of my old work had one and it was truly special and marvellous.

The M5 will be a 4.4 turbo next time and AMG is following in a similar vein. An AMG was always more of a sledge hammer but a M car was a revy responsive thing. Worse so now as the new M cars aer just remapped varients with a few fancy air intakes on a normal BMW turbo'd 8. Alpina are doing the same and 2 great BMW tuners are diluting their heritage and the product being sold on to customers.

Turbos are great for diesels but a petrol car to me should be n/a or supercharged and a car for chasing redlines. I had a BMW with its legendary I6 and the linear instantanous reponse was very special. Turbo'd cars do not have this.

Or a supercharger Tim :thumb: permanent kick with a nice whine to boot

Alpina are doing the same and 2 great BMW tuners are diluting their heritage and the product being sold on to customers.

Alpina are clever. They make cars that if people looked closely at them are a better everyday proposition than anything that comes out of M.

The D3 is sublime. 50mpg but rides far better on 19" wheels than a 320d Msport on 18s. And the throttle response and styling is perfect.

We need to see another AMG diesel...

Peter - I had an M5 on order but cancelled it after driving a blown AMG (E class) which is a superior real world car in every way, you have to drive a 5.5 K before you buy the beemer its not as PS3 but it is a lot of aural / sensory pleasure. I was in a 530i sport 5 years or so ago with the multi seats and couldnt get comfy in them as my mind was always thinking "would i be comfier if I adjusted the ..."

Please try a 5.5k in an E or a CLS befor you commit - they will also be cheaper than £32k for 05 / 33k, my 06 25k is now worth approx £30k against another Merc so less against an Audi or BM

Will do. I feel I have plenty of time, absolutely no rush for me to buy so I will try out the CLS, less keen on the E Class though.

Nah, the newer 3litre T engine, which confusingly is supercharged but badged T. They always did say the Germans had a strange sense of humour.

It gets a great review in all the motoring mags, Evo, Top Gear and Car magazine IIRC have tested it and claimed it to be great. Some have them in their long term fleet.

The RS and S6 aren't as highly regarded but have characterful 10 clyinder engines and are a nicely packaged car, worth looking to make sure as you may like it...

The older S4 was a 4.2 V8 and was regarded as not as great, your money may get you into the 4.2quattro RS4 which was a legendary car and also something you should consider....

Have just looked at a couple of RS4 Avant on the Audi site, one here..

Audi S4 4.2 quattro Avant

That is some car for the money!

Likewise the 5.2L V10 RS6 looks like good value

Audi S6 5.2 V10 quattro

I have also heard that the next generation of M Cars may well move away form NA engines to blown ones. Not convinced that the diehard petrolheads will welcome that move though.

Personally I wouldn't want anything with an Audi badge on it & for that I blame the Ford Mondeo. In the past, Mondeo mans aspirational carriage of choice was undoubtedly the 3 Series BMW. Fast forward by a decade or so & we find that transtion almost complete with Mondeo man now comfortably ensconced in his 3 Series. As such, this gave the traditional 3 Series owner (who lets face it, none of us actually liked) with a quandry - what to buy next to maintain that perceived "exclusivity" on his driveway. The answer....Audi.

The prosecution rests. :D

I've driven a 55K engine, and i've been in my MD's E60 M5 on the way to goodwood (he's a mega-petrolhead), and i couldn't help but notice the absence of torque, yes sure it felt very fast (and very jerky between gear changes), but you really had to rev it hard to get the feeling your being hurled into the horizon.

With the E55K i drove you planted your foot down and you were sucked so hard into your seat that you didnt want to take your foot off... but you soon realise your already over the 70mph speed limit!

The M5 seems very complicated too, many electronic gizmos (more than the mercs i think), all of which can go wrong and give you a headache... lots of useless settings... (i liked the head up display though, that was beautiful), yes it sounds great but to me the M5 is like a big expensive upgrade of the Honda Type-R... not my type of car:D.

I like a car that doesn't sound like its trying very hard, unless of course its a 2 seater proper sports car, not a saloon/sports hybrid with a huge engine.

Nice write up tho, i was a passenger so maybe your experience was more fruitful.

P.S. I'm starting to sound like i'm addicted to forced induction engines now... Its true, any big engined N/A car i sit in, i wait in anticipation for a forced-induction 'kick' and it never comes.... turbo-lag is a blessing only IMHO ofc :cool:

Last edited:
The M5 is an astoishing car! It brings some motorsport tecnnology to the road.
I have a good mate who used to drive very fast for a living (and you can now listen to him on the TV on Sunday afternoons!) who has had two.
In the last year he has swapped his for an oilburning X5.
I nearly bought a CLS55 late last year which had been traded for an ML320.
The owner of the M5 you drove has just traded it for a wood burner.:confused:
Why is this?
The reason my mate gave was that whilst great fun for a little while it's just too extreme for a daily driver.
The firm ride and the search for fuel stations every hour or became less fun as time went on.
But don't let me spoil your fun!:thumb:

Last edited:
I will be honest, I have always liked BMWs, having owned three (E60 530i, E91 320d Touring and an E92 335d M sport Coupe). I also like MBs but I will say that I feel just a little 'scarred' by the rust issue on the CLK55. I know MB have largely overcome the problem but nevertheless......

If money were no object it would be a tough call for me between an M3 DCT and a C63 - but money is an issue. The 55K in the CLS and the (now) old style E are tempting and I will try them, but my instincts say M5 - its just an itch that needs scratching! Having said that a purchase is a few months away ....

Performance figures between the M5 and CLS55K are not that far apart (apart from the Torque, presumably attributable to the SC):

CLS - 4.5s 0-60, 476bhp, 700nm 516 ft Lb, 155mph llimited

M5 - 4.5s 0-60, 507 bhp, 520nm 384 ft Lb, 155mph limited

Last edited:
How about an RS6?

They are one of the most wonderful sounder super saloons i have ever heard and have only had positive feedback about them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom