Food additives/intolerance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ Best advice I've heard in a long time :D

download_zpsv8f2oeey.jpg

Just back from nearly a fortnight away, and realised I'd left some milk in the fridge, which was perfectly usable! What do they put in it to give it such a long shelf life? Processed food I try to avoid like the plague, but so much of the meat chain is injected or fed with various hormones and God knows what else, we don't really have a clue what we're eating (even organic potatoes are "gassed").

Perfectly usable, for what ? :)
You ask what do they put in milk, I would answer a lot of stuff that is bad for you including antibiotics, and growth hormone.
Consider also that most people in the world simply can't stomach it and are lactose intolerant.
The advice of many would be to give it up. But just imagine the economic downside in the UK if we all followed that advice. If you think farmers are having an hard time now !!

In the US the Food and Drugs administration appears something of a toothless tiger when it comes to doing battle with the large food producers. I recall the FDA having to cancel an enforcement notice recently when the food producer concerned pointed out that forcing it to add harmful food content labels to its products was an infringement of free trade (not the exact words, but similar).

The FDA has also been shown to be subject to blatant political interference by big business and those with friends in the right places:

http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm

The FDA has also been shown to be subject to blatant political interference by big business and those with friends in the right places:

How Aspartame Became Legal - The Timeline

Wasn't aware of that, thank you.

Nice little bit of lobbying by Rumsfeld... don't these people have any scruples?

January 1981-- Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of Searle, states in a sales meeting that he is going to make a big push to get aspartame approved within the year. Rumsfeld says he will use his political pull in Washington, rather than scientific means, to make sure it gets approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
It rings true with me - I've suffered from food intolerance since day 1 - literally.

It's taken me around 5 years to work out everything that affects me (by the end of 2014). Basically it affected me as a nipper, I grew out of it in my teens but it slowly came back to haunt me over the last few years.

There is a difference between allergy and intolerance - the first involves the immune system, the second doesn't. These terms are often used interchangeably albeit incorrectly.

I don't think the NHS don't really believe food intolerance because there is isn't a scientific test they endorse to prove it. It doesn't fit neatly in their scientific world. It matters not though. If there is a suspicion of allergy - it should be pursued as it can be life-threatening.

My post here relates purely to intolerance.

I don't believe the cause is E numbers per se - or indeed the other things they put in food (although what side effects these have in themselves - who knows but I doubt there are none!). Whilst I agree that E102, E104 (and somewhat E110 and E124), which are artificial, can have an effect, a lot of the others are natural.

For me, eating certain things presents me with clinical symptoms:

1) Mood changes (food rage).
2) Missed heartbeats (I posted up on here a few years ago thinking it was my heart itself but it's actually caused by food - maybe related to digestion / bowels etc.).
3) Fuzzy headache.
4) Anxiety.
5) Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia).

The main cause is cow's milk - the higher the fat content, the worse it seems although whether that is because higher fat milk contains more milk protein, I am not sure. Soya also affects me quite badly. Stronger or higher fat cheeses can give me jip but I don't like them anyway. And chocolate (without milk) is OK but this still has a slight effect albeit more on mood. This is not the same as Lactose intolerance - this is an inability to digest the natural sugars found in milk.

You'd think just cutting out milk would help but it doesn't because so many things contain 'stealth' milk.

So by this, I mean cakes, biscuits - even certain flavour crisps.

I know if something contains 'Milk protein' / 'Whey powder', it will start to have an effect - and eating more of these things and milk itself.

I believe the only way to workout what is going on is by using an exclusion diet.

I've got my situation down to a point where I can still eat the things I like - I just have to watch the quantities.

I wish anyone pursuing this a lot of luck - you will get there...

The main cause is cow's milk - the higher the fat content, the worse it seems although whether that is because higher fat milk contains more milk protein, I am not sure. Soya also affects me quite badly. Stronger or higher fat cheeses can give me jip but I don't like them anyway. And chocolate (without milk) is OK but this still has a slight effect albeit more on mood. This is not the same as Lactose intolerance - this is an inability to digest the natural sugars found in milk.

You'd think just cutting out milk would help but it doesn't because so many things contain 'stealth' milk.

My diet is plant based and I can avoid milk,casein, lactose, whey etc very easily by simply reading the ingredients and allergens declared on packaging.

I would recommend that everyone read T Thomas Campbell's book "The China Study"
Written by the son of a dairy farmer who went on to become a hated member of the US FDA because of his opposition to milk and milk products. Read about the work done with Professor Richard Peto of Oxford
For those that are unwilling to buy a copy the good news is that it can be downloaded, all nearly 500 pages, free of charge :)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...UUFBs4vWLG2vZsslQ&sig2=Y4SMSE3ino8Xx75Lw6ToOg

I was amazed how long stuff lasts in the states. I guess partly down to having a huge refrigerator but mostly down to nasty additives and there obsession with irradiation treatment on foods. Stuff tastes different too.

My diet is plant based and I can avoid milk,casein, lactose, whey etc very easily by simply reading the ingredients and allergens declared on packaging.

Yes, I use Alpro Almond unsweetened milk and I actually like it more than milk now...

Labelling is certainly much better these days. It was hopeless in the late 70s and 80s but now every allergen is listed which helps with intolerance.

PS: Just to correct above:

I think the NHS don't really believe food intolerance because there is isn't a scientific test they endorse to prove it. It doesn't fit neatly in their scientific world. It matters not though. If there is a suspicion of allergy - it should be pursued as it can be life-threatening.

I think the NHS don't really believe food intolerance because there is isn't a scientific test they endorse to prove it. It doesn't fit neatly in their scientific world. It matters not though. If there is a suspicion of allergy - it should be pursued as it can be life-threatening.

You will find that we have moved on somewhat:

Lactose intolerance - Diagnosis - NHS Choices

Not really - that article has been up for years...

I mentioned this specific issue in post #25 and has nothing to do with what is being discussed on this thread.

I was simply making the point that the NHS accept the science of lactose intolerance, indeed they outline the tests available.

It rings true with me - I've suffered from food intolerance since day 1 - literally.

I don't believe the cause is E numbers per se - or indeed the other things they put in food (although what side effects these have in themselves - who knows but I doubt there are none!). Whilst I agree that E102, E104 (and somewhat E110 and E124), which are artificial, can have an effect, a lot of the others are natural.

For me, eating certain things presents me with clinical symptoms:

1) Mood changes (food rage).
2) Missed heartbeats (I posted up on here a few years ago thinking it was my heart itself but it's actually caused by food - maybe related to digestion / bowels etc.).
3) Fuzzy headache.
4) Anxiety.
5) Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)..

You have my sympathy, John, and I see a certain irony in your user name! I'm fortunately nothing like as bad as you detail, after years of trying to avoid certain things once the penny dropped.

It's not an imagined condition, and after a while, eating out with friends can be pain in the bars and restaurants when choosing the least damaging item on the menu! As for Marco Pierre White, with his haughty, cheffy attitude endorsing stock cubes, it makes me laugh. I actually had a chef come out of his kitchen once to personally answer the question as to whether he used MSG or not. "I am a proper chef", he sneered.

Perfectly usable, for what ? :)
You ask what do they put in milk, I would answer a lot of stuff that is bad for you including antibiotics, and growth hormone.
Consider also that most people in the world simply can't stomach it and are lactose intolerant.
The advice of many would be to give it up. But just imagine the economic downside in the UK if we all followed that advice. If you think farmers are having an hard time now !!

If they are happy to fill their produce with harmful, hidden ingredients, I'm quite happy to withdraw my support, frankly. It's the hidden ingredients that annoy me, such as prepared, raw vegetables (carrots, for example), which are then dipped in preservatives to keep them "fresh". How many people perhaps don't make a connection between eating a "healthy" lunchtime snack and any of the symptoms JohnEboy mentions above?

Given the Government approval for these additives and the Health Authorities' pedantic attitudes and denial towards foods that cause harm, it's quite scandalous when you look at levels of diabetes and some cancers that could have been caused by these ingredients over the years.

There is farm near me that sells GM produce, with a sign at the entrance saying "Chase your own vegetables, £1/kg!" :eek::D

I was simply making the point that the NHS accept the science of lactose intolerance, indeed they outline the tests available.

Indeed. And I was making the point that that is for a very specific issue that they can test for. However, not being able to digest the sugars contained within cow's milk, which results in symptoms at "the other end" is not the same thing as the more general intolerance effects certain foods can have - which the NHS can test for.

Private companies claim they can test for it, indeed I have taken part in one, but I am not personally convinced raised levels of IgG are a direct indicator of a particular food causing the issues which I personally am aware of. I believe the NHS agree with this.

The bottom line is - I think it's still quite early days in the science of intolerance but I'd be surprised if much resource was going in to it to assist given an exclusion diet can resolve anyway and the effect is much the same whether a test highlights something, or whether you eat it and are affected by it.

You have my sympathy, John, and I see a certain irony in your user name! I'm fortunately nothing like as bad as you detail, after years of trying to avoid certain things once the penny dropped.

It's not an imagined condition, and after a while, eating out with friends can be pain in the bars and restaurants when choosing the least damaging item on the menu! As for Marco Pierre White, with his haughty, cheffy attitude endorsing stock cubes, it makes me laugh. I actually had a chef come out of his kitchen once to personally answer the question as to whether he used MSG or not. "I am a proper chef", he sneered.

If they are happy to fill their produce with harmful, hidden ingredients, I'm quite happy to withdraw my support, frankly. It's the hidden ingredients that annoy me, such as prepared, raw vegetables (carrots, for example), which are then dipped in preservatives to keep them "fresh". How many people perhaps don't make a connection between eating a "healthy" lunchtime snack and any of the symptoms JohnEboy mentions above?

Given the Government approval for these additives and the Health Authorities' pedantic attitudes and denial towards foods that cause harm, it's quite scandalous when you look at levels of diabetes and some cancers that could have been caused by these ingredients over the years.

There is farm near me that sells GM produce, with a sign at the entrance saying "Chase your own vegetables, £1/kg!" :eek::D

Whilst you may not be at the same level - any intolerance is a PITA so I also sympathise with you and anyone who has the same issues!

Fortunately for me, I can still eat what I like but I just have to limit the intake. I don't miss any of the foods that cause the more potent symptoms (tachy cardia, missed heartbeats etc.) so the worst I get now is maybe a fussy head or feel a bit angry / grumpy sometimes. It's like your 'fuse' is shortened but only in situations which would normally annoy you - just that you are a bit more annoyed about it and a bit more quickly!

MSG can cause the above issues - I believe they call it "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" although it doesn't affect me personally.

"It's not an imagined condition" I get the impression the NHS believes it is though... but those who suffer or can suffer from it know it isn't. If you eat something on day 1, and then have clinical symptoms within days 1 to 4, then the food is affecting you. Simple really.

Having gone for a year without any dairy or soya back in 2012 - I had no issues whatsoever in that time.

It wouldn't surprise me to find a lot of kids with 'ADD' and 'ADHD' are simply intolerant to certain foods as I was (and I was hyperactive as a child what a surprise - but those terms had not been invented then).

Anyone affected should work out what affects them and then decide what levels, if any, they are happy with. If the food can be avoided - so much the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom