• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Gentlemen (and ladies), please place your bets....

that's a much bigger rear spolier than standard

Well, having picked up my new motor and having had it a week, heres some pictures and early thoughts.....

P1030788.jpg

P1030787.jpg

P1030789.jpg

P1030817.jpg

P1030809.jpg

P1030818.jpg

P1030803.jpg

P1030813.jpg

P1030799.jpg

P1030800.jpg

Mid-corner bumps.....

Chassis

I thought I'd start on my 'first-impressions-after-one-week' by commenting on this cars most impressive dynamic feature.

You know the scenario....you're going round a bend fast, the car is under load and you hit a deeply sunken grid half way round. What's then always happened in my experience was dependent on the car.....the Porsche was largely the best with a steering column that would absorb the bump and give away just a slight movement in steering wheel angle. However, even in the Porsche, you'd feel a shudder, a vibration, some kind of movement through the column which would give you reason to very slightly grit your teeth.

Even the standard XKR that wowed me a few weeks ago had a little of that trait but was tight enough for it to still feel extremely robust in this situation - it was at the very least as good as the Porsche in that respect.

But, and you know where is going don't you....my Jaaaaaaag doesn't. The first time I went over such a grid in it (on a road I know very well so thought I knew what to expect), and found that the car didn't flinch, the steering wheel remained where I pointed it and the column was rock solid, I got so excited I nearly punched my other half sat next to me! I have never felt a structure so stiff and so capable of dealing with 'our' type of roads so well.

The reason for the difference between the two XKR's is that mine has the optional 'dynamic pack' .....an option that I've got to admit I was a bit nervous about. I wondered if it'd spoil the nature of the car like Clarkson said about the XKR-S (the 'dynamic pack' is the XKR-S chassis). Well, as I drove it away from the dealer for the first time, I did notice that it's extremely stiff....for a Jaaaaaaag. It's noticeably firmer than the normal XKR but, having say that, it's not even the teeniest little bit uncomfortable...indeed, the car still has a little bit of roll but you'd only notice this against a really hardcore sports car like a 911 or GT-R, both of which the Jag comfortably outrides despite the firmer set-up. It's still got a lovely rolling gait on the motorway where it settles down nicely and it's particularly impressive on those roads where the edges have started to fall away and disintegrate - it soaks them up and keeps tyre in contact with the surface really well - the car behaves like it has a properly developed and expensive suspension set-up (the level of damping and body control is right up there with the KW V3 coilovers I fitted to the AMG).

Not surprising really because the suspension is pretty 'trick'.....it has strengthened and forged suspension uprights, forged aluminium steering knuckles and it's even got Bilstein-branded dampers which is extremely unusual in a factory-spec car....

P1030783.jpg

P1030785.jpg

I'm in no doubt that all these features add up to that incredible 'mid-corner bump' experience but the quality of damping, body control and sheer solidity as it goes over any surface is outrageously good. It's hard to describe anymore but it's almost the opposite of brittle...for instance, my memory of driving a GT-R is of a brittle ride which made me cringe as it went over rough surfaces (probably more to do with hearing the interior fittings buzzing away!)...this has a feeling of robustness about it.

So, it's fair to say that dynamically this car is perfect for real roads and that it has impressed me so much after experiencing such cars like the M3 and 911 (and GT-R if a 1-hour drive counts?) is a great start. What of the rest of it?

Sound

I may as well move on to what is going to be a very controversial subject....sound! I will go on record now and say that this car is the best sounding car I've had :confused0068: Yep, thats even better than the AMG!

I know a lot of people would've loved the sound of the Maserati and yes, it did excite me at first. However, after a few weeks it reminded me of a Corsa with a big-bore....you couldn't hear any of the V8 as it was all just 'worst noise and I began to prefer it in normal 'quiet' mode to just hear the V8! No, the AMG with it's spitfire like warble and sounding like a very angry God was always my favourite.

My XKR, with it's optional sports exhaust (again, as fitted to the XKR-S....indeed, the thing is an XKR-S but with 40hp less, no carbon bodykit and £10K cheaper) is like a more raspy AMG. It's not as loud on start up but, when you're driving it sounds like God gargling (I think), it's pops on the overrun and it just begs you to rev harder (all this and I've not taken it over 5k rpm yet!). The pipes also look great - unlike the XFR, they're quite big and point slightly upwards so look rather like 4 cannons ready to fire!

See here....

P1030790.jpg

Here's a little sound clip too but regrettably the car won't allow you to rev beyond 3.5k rpm in neutral/park so you don't get the full 'gurgle' effect :D....

http://youtu.be/tKGqhu-MpEM

Performance

I don't have a lot different to say on this as it's very much the same as the one I test drove and commented on previously. Power is instant and builds nicely, it feels very fast (noticeably more so than the XFR) and is the only car other than the 911 Turbo, GT-R and to a degree, BMW M6 that gives you that proper relentless push-in-the-back feel when accelerating.

Indeed, anymore power and I'd probably be in trouble because after 2 days, I nearly ended up in a canal! :cry: Accelerating on a slightly damp surface with about half throttle and going through just 3.5k rpm, the backend nearly overtook the front and pointed me slightly towards the barrier of the canal bridge I was going over :eek: I wasn't going that quick (I'd only left a set of lights about 50m back) but given the car had only done 90 miles, it's possible the tyres weren't properly scrubbed in. Thank the Lord above for stability control which again, on this dynamic pack version is a lot looser and probably shows how much I can rely on it :rolleyes:

The gearbox is good if nothing majorly different to the best auto-boxes I've had before...it's the typical ZF 6-speeder so is about as smooth as you can get and again, the dynamic pack has a slightly different gearbox software so it's got a faster, more obvious gear-change quality. It's not DCT-quick but it's not that much slower that it bothers me and is infinitely preferably to any single-clutch paddle shift (although I would have a DCT 'box given the choice).

Looks

Not much to say here as you can make your own mind up from the pictures but, with the 'speed pack' fitted (which gives it the bodykit and rear diffuser) and the stance afforded by the slightly lowered suspension, it looks incredible.

I've never known a car that has such an aggressive wheel offset - they're 11" wide and they sit so well in the arches :D The suspension set up on this one also sits the car 10mm lower than normal so it just looks 'phat'! :lol: Look at these angles to see what I'm talking about...

P1030804.jpg

P1030815.jpg

Oh, the paintwork on this car is spot-on....unlike nearly all BMW's I've had, theres no orange peel whatsoever so no need for this one to be wet-sanded to give a smooth finish! I've just got to try and keep the light swirls that black cars seem to easily pick up even when being hand washed at bay!

Interior

Most of the interior is covered in either leather or alcantara (the headlining is particularly plush), the trim is aluminium and piano black and it's properly solid....when you push on the panels theres no give, no creaking and it's so tight on the move.

The detailing is lovely too....all the buttons on the dash have a nice soft rubber feel and even the seat adjusters look special with their chrome and piano black detailing.....

P1030794.jpg

The leather feels lovely, it's smells incredible and the black/red colour scheme is so me. I was actually prepared to break all rules on this car and get a black interior (it suits the car!) to the point that, when I got offered this colour, I wasn't so sure - which is very unusual for me. I'm glad I followed my tastes because it just looks so special when you open the door!

It's got a great driving position with the most adjustable seats I've ever experienced (well, along with my XFR which had the same)....for instance, very few cars allow the entire seat bases to move up, down, forward and back independently of the backrest. The seats are very low and it allows a great 'legs-straight-out, arms-bent' driving position. It's not so great in the back though....

P1030801.jpg

Finally, it's a great place to sit on the motorway - good job, as thats where it'll spend most of it's time (and one of the main reasons why, to-date, I have dismissed the GT-R which has a ride thats just too busy for my liking as a daily drive). The XKR is refined with very little wind noise and it has the joint-best factory-fit stereo I've heard (the other was the Bowers & Wilkins in the XFR)...if I was being really fussy, I'd say maybe the XFR had better acoustics (the XKR generates more road noise) which made it's stereo sound a bit bassier.

So, I'm pretty confident this car is good enough and has enough to keep me entertained for many months (years?? :lol:)....I can honestly say that I reckon it's the best thing I've driven and would even seriously question whether I currently hanker after cars that are out of my reach (such as the SLS AMG, which is my current favourite 'too-expensive-to-buy----but-could-do-one-day' car)....I can't say I do at the minute because I don't think I'd get much more pleasure out of something else.

I've certainly never had a car before where I don't dislike a single thing....not one thing!

I'm going to try and actually drive this car LESS than what I've done with previous cars. I can see me using our work pool car and our Mini a lot more so that way, the XKR continues to be an event when I drive it! I guess time will tell......

P1030846.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely car Palmball. Very special indeed.

On the topic of single-handedly supporting the premium sector of the retail motor industry, I was just wondering gentlemen, shall we open a book on how long before we are reading a similarly entertaining post on the next Palm-mobile?

Enjoy!

IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU HAVE JUST DISCOVERED THE BENEFITS OF ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED ADAPTIVE DAMPING. :thumb: Something you perhaps may want to look out for in your next car also- ps I'm a big fan of adaptive damping myself.

DYNAMIC PACK
The XKR Dynamic Pack takes the XKR experience to another level, further extending its dynamic capabilities. The Dynamic Pack includes all of the enhancements featured in the Speed Pack, and adds extensive revisions to the suspension, including a stiffer knuckle for improved steering precision, revised spring and damper settings, and the Adaptive Dynamics. Ride height is lowered by 10mm and the Dynamic Pack also features 20" Vulcan forged lightweight alloys in polished finish and distinctive Red painted brake calipers.
ADAPTIVE DYNAMICS

The XK’s Adaptive Dynamics analyse speed, steering and body movements 500 times a second and adjust the suspension with electronic dampers to achieve the ideal balance between comfort and precise handling.

Great review!

We should have a dedicated section for car reviews of this calibre so we can build up a review library... For all marques and models, new and old.

On the topic of single-handedly supporting the premium sector of the retail motor industry, I was just wondering gentlemen, shall we open a book on how long before we are reading a similarly entertaining post on the next Palm-mobile?

Enjoy!

That will be some time in the future....I have broken all rules on this car and bought brand new (in the last 4 years, only my white C63 was brand new but Merc practically give C63's away so the deals ease the pain considerably).

Even with the generous 20% discount, this car is going to spunk money so I will be forced into a good 18-24 month ownership period. It's a tough life, but someone has to do it ;) (indeed, even if I wanted to change cars, I probably couldn't)

You like it that much, eh? :devil:

:D

:D LOL!

IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU HAVE JUST DISCOVERED THE BENEFITS OF ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED ADAPTIVE DAMPING. :thumb: Something you perhaps may want to look out for in your next car also- ps I'm a big fan of adaptive damping myself.

Yes, I've had this before on a couple of cars and have to say I've always been impressed. Both the BMW M3 and M6 had EDC which is a passive adaptive dynamic (i.e. you have to select one of 3 settings yourself).

My 911 Turbo and this XKR has active adaptive damping which, as your extract says, adjusts all the time. I am told that even at 100mph, if the front wheels go over a bump, the cars' ECU can tell the rear dampers to adjust their stiffness before the rear wheels get to that bump. I thought that sounded pretty impressive?

Great review!

We should have a dedicated section for car reviews of this calibre so we can build up a review library... For all marques and models, new and old.

Maybe one day someone will pay me for them ;) The again, if my reviews went into print it'd cost the publisher too much in paper to print it all :o

I'm worried, very worried.

Palmball has had a fleet of cars that only the great and good could think about yet he only manages to get a semi (detached house ....)

I suppose a Zonda will happen in due course :)

I'll look forward to hearing you burble along the Cropston Road in my native Anstey en-route to your next photo-shoot a Bradgate!! She's a beauty, enjoy!

A mate of mine had a succession of these. Great cars!

I want you to find out if the 155mph speed limiter is still as chilled out as in the older cars. I have been in a bog standard XKR coupe which broke the timing marks, still accelerating, at just shy of 170mph, with the limiter still to announce its presence. And that was a 4.2!

Nice. Very, very, very nice!!

One of my favourite current cars.

I have been in a bog standard XKR coupe which broke the timing marks, still accelerating, at just shy of 170mph, with the limiter still to announce its presence. And that was a 4.2!

I bumped into the limiter at 174 mph in an XKR if I remember right :cool:

Palmball has had a fleet of cars that only the great and good could think about yet he only manages to get a semi (detached house ....)

The PM manages enough in a terrace......I wonder if his toilet is outside too? :)

I always wounder with jaguar are paying alot money for a pretty car (which xkr is prob one nices car on the road today ) but under the bonnet remains unchanged same engine( Peugeot) same chassis ect .were as the on thing u can't say about amg/mercedes is they don't keep up and spend a fortune on is the latest technolody ever thing is the best .like the new amg cls 63 comes with the new v8 5.5-litre biturbo engine and u know with amg/mercedes synonymous with tchnical innovation elegant style luxurious comfort .and most import in any performance car safety .

I love this dude... Peugeot = classic...

PS: Lovely car by the way, I'm jealous of this and your previous cars...

I like it, all of it, it looks like its moving even when parked. If you ever need a car sitter, when on a holiday for example, I would be willing, at no cost, to look after it for you.:)

I like it,

Only the wheels too American bling for my taste. I would 'put up' with it though.... If I had to.

:)

I like it, all of it, it looks like its moving even when parked. If you ever need a car sitter, when on a holiday for example, I would be willing, at no cost, to look after it for you.:)

Thanks woody, I'll keep that offer in mind ;)

A mate of mine had a succession of these. Great cars!

I want you to find out if the 155mph speed limiter is still as chilled out as in the older cars. I have been in a bog standard XKR coupe which broke the timing marks, still accelerating, at just shy of 170mph, with the limiter still to announce its presence. And that was a 4.2!

This one has the speed pack so is limited to 174mph...I wonder if it'll sail through that too? I'm told Jag limiters aren't as 'abrupt' as those in German cars so you can drive through to a certain degree. :D

I'll look forward to hearing you burble along the Cropston Road in my native Anstey en-route to your next photo-shoot a Bradgate!! She's a beauty, enjoy!

I've been through Anstey twice in the last couple of weeks already funnily enough! The roads out of there and up through Newtown Linford to Shepshed are great for this car! Thanks...I'll see you around :thumb:

What an odd and, unless Ive taken it out of context, frankly rude comment...I'm sorry my house isn't to your liking :confused:

I suppose I could whack another couple of hundred k's into a big detached house (that would largely be empty) and have a more average car. However, what we have suits me and my other half just fine, I work hard for the lifestyle I choose to live and am more than happy on how I decide to allocate my resources!

What an odd and, unless Ive taken it out of context, frankly rude comment...I'm sorry my house isn't to your liking :confused:

Twas a wee joke that went over your head.

Your house and cars are lovely - you are living most people's dreams !

Keep it going !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom