• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Gentlemen (and ladies), please place your bets....

This one has the speed pack so is limited to 174mph...I wonder if it'll sail through that too? I'm told Jag limiters aren't as 'abrupt' as those in German cars so you can drive through to a certain degree. :D
I bumped into the limiter at 174 mph in an XKR if I remember right :cool:

Interesting that you both quote the same figure. The car I was in was a 4.2 in factory trim, not modded in any way. So the limiter, as advertised, should have kicked in at 155mph. I think we broke the beams at 168.something mph and it had not intervened at that stage.

So on that percentage leeway Andrew, you're good for close to the double-ton! :cool:

Twas a wee joke that went over your head.

Your house and cars are lovely - you are living most people's dreams !

Keep it going !!!

Fair enough....apologies for taking it the wrong way (I did slightly wonder hence my original comment of 'unless I've taken it out of context').

I must have been sensitive a couple of days ago :rolleyes:

Interesting that you both quote the same figure. The car I was in was a 4.2 in factory trim, not modded in any way. So the limiter, as advertised, should have kicked in at 155mph. I think we broke the beams at 168.something mph and it had not intervened at that stage.

So on that percentage leeway Andrew, you're good for close to the double-ton! :cool:

An indicated 174 is likely high 160's (exactly as you said)....but a coincidence nonetheless. A 'limited' 174mph would surely see mid-high 180's on the clock

I am told that Jag limiters are more like elastic bands...the engine will pull softly past it - indeed, the 40hp-more XKR-S is limited to 186mph which would be mid 190's on the clock...if it's limited to that, it's got to be close to a 200mph machine?

By the way, I bought a supercharger pulley for my XFR which mechanically increases the boost and gives another 40-50hp. I never got round to fitting it on the XFR so it'll be slotted onto the end of the supercharger in the XKR once it's run in :D Not that the car needs more power...it's so much lighter than the XFR that had I not already bought the pulley I'd never even think of making it quicker but, as I've got it already it'd be rude not fit it!

I didn't know much about superchargers and apparently you can't just up the boost on them like a turbo through the ECU remap. A remap does little more on it's own than a N/A car so to get some real power increase, the supercharger needs to be over-driven though fitment of smaller pulleys. Happy to be corrected on this as I'm no expert!

^ has to be tested :)

I'm sure I will but will have to wait for one of my European jaunts for that one ;)

Totally correct comment on SC's Andrew... I fitted a smaller pulley and re-chip on my G60 Golf many moons ago.... took it from 160bhp to 200bhp with the cone trumpet filter.....
You've gotta do it...:devil:

I never was a fan of Jags, but I seem to be warming to them a lot....

That certainly looks a very compelling motor car and although its expensive, a comparative bargain as well given how good you say it is.

What you really need to do, is take it on roads its built to go on. Come up here, have a blast, I'll write you a route to go on, or better still, join in on my next driving thread of Scotland, which I will be arranging in the new year.

Nice car PB, is this the same power plant in the car Chris Harris chased John Neilsen with at the Nordschliefe ?

What you really need to do, is take it on roads its built to go on. Come up here, have a blast, I'll write you a route to go on, or better still, join in on my next driving thread of Scotland, which I will be arranging in the new year.

Do you know what Steve? You're right and yes, I will be interested in such a trip so keep me in the loop! :thumb:

Nice car PB, is this the same power plant in the car Chris Harris chased John Neilsen with at the Nordschliefe ?

It's exactly the same chassis (and quite different to a normal XKR without Dynamic pack) and engine wise it's similar, the notable difference being mine is 40hp down against that car (an XKR-S) due to engine mapping (so easily rectified ;))

Which one of these Jags uses the 722.6 autobox?

Hi

Have you driven more than one of the new Jaguar XKR's, as it seams such a marked improvement over the 2011 model without publicised changes, could it be an exception?

The other reason I say this, is because the 911 is normally of legendary build and reliability, but yours was very much an exception to that rule?

Really looking forward to seeing pictures of your new car?

Tan

I wouldn't say an exception. I have a work colleague who always wanted a 911, finally bought one a year old, he sold it less than a year later as it was the most unreliable car he'd ever owned and the dealers couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.:eek:

Hi Andy I missed the Xfr acquisition thread but need to ask - have you just been on the jag test day they rolled out in October ? I drove the Xkr. Xkrs and Xj sport and was driven in all three as well.

The xkrs was special but they are made to order and no deals they said , not sure I believe that

I predict a xkrs by July ;-)

XKRs in French blue for sale on Jag used car finder - looks like the demo one.

Hi Andy I missed the Xfr acquisition thread but need to ask - have you just been on the jag test day they rolled out in October ? I drove the Xkr. Xkrs and Xj sport and was driven in all three as well.

The xkrs was special but they are made to order and no deals they said , not sure I believe that

I predict a xkrs by July ;-)

No...I missed out on that but have been assured I;m invited to the next Jaguar track day event this year :D

My recent introduction to Jag has been interesting...you may remember I tried an XFR a couple of years ago and was very impressed with it back then but then I know you weren't impressed with it when you had one. I sort of share your view on a couple of points but maybe to so extreme, in particular...

Gearbox - I do see what you mean about it always wanting to change down when you use a little throttle but to be honest, I don't find it a problem in normal mode. In sport mode it is quite bad to start with as it really holds onto the gears for too long. However, the 'box is clearly dynamic and I felt (should I say 'feel'...the XKR seems the same in characteristics!) it adapted after a few minutes of driving. It is a PITA for the first few miles of journey whilst it learns though

Build - I also see what you mean about the interior having a lack of a feeling of 'robustness'. I will use this word as I reckon the actual materials used were up to scratch and there was actually nothing fundamentally wrong with the way it was built (indeed, for lack of rattles and creaks, it was one of the best cars Ive had) but there was always this slight, but unfound, feeling of a lack of substance. It's odd...I have nothing to back it up other than the apparent good build quality :wall bash: By the way, this feeling is not replicated in the XKR which is feels properly solid and beautifully crafted out of very nice materials.

Anyway, I did rate the XFR much highly than you did but after 'winning' and XKR for the weekend after attending an event at my local Jag dealer, I found that car in another league to anything I've had and....well.....the XFR just didn't cut it after that! My 5-6 week ownership spell of the XFR was little to do with the XFR and more to do with how impressive the XKR was!

Anyway, with regards XKR-S deals (damn you....you had to go one better ;)) you will definitely get a deal on one. When I was negotiating on my XKR, I momentarily looked at the XKR-S that they had in the showroom and I'm confident I'd have got a similar deal on that as I did on mine. In the end, even with the ridiculously expensive Dynamic pack and sports exhaust options as fitted to mine (which effectively means it has the the XKR-S chassis and exhaust) my car was still £10k less than an XKR-S and was well outside my budget already (didn't stop me buying it though!)....the extra £10k for the S was just so far out of my reach BUT....as I said above, I'm confident I'd have got the same deal on that if I could have afforded it.

I have PM'd you with the specific deal that I got as you should use that as a base case - let me know if you want a contact there as they are extremely good to deal with...the best I have experienced in ay of my car purchases to date (if not exactly local for you...but then does that matter for the initial purchase?)

Andrew, what is a Jag driver doing on an MB forum? ;)

Have you sold it yet??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom