Getting a bit bored of the CLK...(are you bored with your car?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The BMW 760 - would be quite awesome. Also a car never should be, but always is, a bit of a burden. I imagine if something went on a BMW 7 series it would cost a lot more than the W124.

Certainly is. Not a lot can come close to one IMO.... ok, they may not look pretty, but thats not what its about. The cost to fix doesnt bother me really; i had my 735 for 3 odd years and only a couple of problems, only real difference between that and the 760 is the engine. I must stop talking about it now, otherwise one will suddenly appear on my driveway :devil:

this is the one - no radar cruise, vent & massage seats, rear fridge or heated steering wheel though. Its got everything else available for the 7 though.

2003 BMW 7 SERIES 760Li 4dr Auto Saloon

Last edited:
Certainly is. Not a lot can come close to one IMO.... ok, they may not look pretty, but thats not what its about. The cost to fix doesnt bother me really; i had my 735 for 3 odd years and only a couple of problems, only real difference between that and the 760 is the engine. I must stop talking about it now, otherwise one will suddenly appear on my driveway :devil:

this is the one - no radar cruse, vent & massage seats, rear fridge or heated steering wheel though. Its got everything else available for the 7 though.

2003 BMW 7 SERIES 760Li 4dr Auto Saloon

I apologise so much in advance for saying this, BUT THAT CAR IS AWESOME!! Looks gorgeous and has pretty much everything I can think of.

You are currently showing zen like restraint should you be in a position to buy.

You are currently showing zen like restraint should you be in a position to buy.

Indeed. :ban: Its not got the radar cruise and the seats are not cooled or massaged like my last one. Nor is the steering wheel heated. Apart from that its 100% what i want, and at a great price.

i was bored with my current car the day after i bought it but ho hum needs bust and all that... in an idedal world it would be accompanied by something from those rear engine boys in stuttgart to balance things out.

I got to admit, i'm a bit bored of my W124 estate now.

I'm really tempted to get back into some sort of luxury barge, LTD's S500L has had me thinking along similar lines, along with a E66 760Li which i've been eying up recently. ~2004 cars - so much car for so little money at the moment.

A big factor is that i've had to do quite a few maintenance jobs on the W124 and although it hasnt cost a lot, i'm missing the fact that when i had the BMW and other newer cars I never had to do any work on them. If i got something newer i could limit that maintenance to the R107 only and do it when i please, not be forced into it.

the big problem to my plan is i just cant bring myself to start spending money on fuel again as i've got so used to not buying any running the E300D.

What about a 211 E500. £13.5k will buy you a decent one of those.

heard a few horror tales of V12 7's. What about a 745i or a 220 as you say. VWs Phaeton, jag XJ, or Audi A8 might be a nice way for you to travel too

the thing is i know me for a fact will spend alot of money on the car to ensure its cosmetically and mechanically perfect, then we go and sell it and buy another and start the spending all over again!

i spent a load of money on the C36 over the years that i owned it and it was flawless! Ive now got the E55 and im going through the whole process all over again!

rossyl £1K on top isnt gonna get you much, consider the £1k for maintenance in the first year! in which case stick to the clk.

rossyl £1K on top isnt gonna get you much, consider the £1k for maintenance in the first year! in which case stick to the clk.

I agree with you, my ain is to spend about £6-7k as well as have the cash for maintenance.

The £1k idea was born out of, what could i do by the end of this weekend if I were to utilise a little credit! haha.

What about a 211 E500. £13.5k will buy you a decent one of those.

heard a few horror tales of V12 7's. What about a 745i or a 220 as you say. VWs Phaeton, jag XJ, or Audi A8 might be a nice way for you to travel too

211 cant match the E65 7 unfortunatly, nice as they are. If I were going for a 211 i'd get an estate.

The 745 would be the same as the 735 i had just a tad faster - the 760 has more than just a bigger engine - it has stitched leather on the dash, markings in the wood trim, swede headlining, and it would have to be LWB. After seeing LTD's W220 i'd also consider one of those, but i'm not interested in anything VAG has to offer and i'm not really a Jag guy.

Really considering this now....

Last edited:
211 cant match the E65 7 unfortunatly, nice as they are. If I were going for a 211 i'd get an estate.

The 745 would be the same as the 735 i had just a tad faster - the 760 has more than just a bigger engine - it has stitched leather on the dash, markings in the wood trim, swede headlining, and it would have to be LWB. After seeing LTD's W220 i'd also consider one of those, but i'm not interested in anything VAG has to offer and i'm not really a Jag guy.

Really considering this now....

Probably with your family an estate is the more practical option. An E500 is withing probable reach. A v6 Cdi is the sensible mans upgrade to your car.

The 220 is nicer to drive than the E65 (IMHO comparing to a 730d so maybe not a fair comparison to a S500L) and has a lighter cabin and feels "smaller" and easier to drive. The 7 has so nice touches completely absent on the 220 however (doors that open and hold in any position) being one. The V12 7 is a tempting proposition, looked at one on eBay and it did get me "agitated" and ready to change. Then there was the time I went round to my cousins, had a beer or ten, then hit piston heads and found a Phaeton W12. I have hankered after one for so long. Once they reach banger prices and/or I get a much better job I'd have one a s a second car, and probably never sell it.

Car wise I am happy enough with mine. I could sell it and buy a V6Cdi of mine tomorrow if I wanted, and boy I am tempted but I feel I like the car I have enough not to, and have the money in the bank itself. I believe in "Monday and Friday cars" and the one I have is a "Wednesday" one, not a moments trouble. Not one glitch really in 40ks worth of driving in 2 years.

The next time I may not be so lucky.

Ideally I'd have a new 212 or 204 with a V6 derv, I do find the power lacking in mine but all else is good so I am contented and think about the value of mine, and really what little brand new car it would buy (a fiesta maybe) and then chuckle. I have it so good :D:D:D:D

Only had my E350 a couple of months, but still well impressed and far from bored.

Only regret is that I didn't go for the remaining few options I didn't get just to go fully loaded.

Next time I will probably get the lot - even the ones I am not that bothered about.

(doors that open and hold in any position) being one. The V12 7 is a tempting proposition

I forgot about that - its those little things that make a car for me. Thinking back this was a great feature, especially when getting the kids in and out of the car - doors stayed static even in strong winds, whereas "normal doors" would swing open so you'd have to hold them etc. Each door had a piston type thing on it.

I get bored very quickly with my cars and usually don't keep them more than a year or two. Strangely, I'm not bored with the Saab yet, but time will tell on that, although I've had it almost 2 years... Not bored with the S211 yet either, but I think it's coming...

I'm really itching for a toy though - something classic and POWERFUL!! I'm still edging towards something like a Corvette, but we'll see.
The lure of the CLS is still very strong too! :D Decisions, decisions! :D

Talking of 7 series, I had an '06 730d for a while and really enjoyed it. The ride was superb and the feel good factor very high! But, it was very costly to run, hence it made way for the S211.

I had an "Ooh I really fancy a change moment this week" but I really don't know what I'd replace my car with at the moment.

It offers such good value performance and practicality, it would need me to REALLY REALLY want to change in order to bridge the gap to something worthy of replacing, and I'm not at that point right now.

I'm really itching for a toy though - something classic and POWERFUL!! I'm still edging towards something like a Corvette, but we'll see.
The lure of the CLS is still very strong too! :D Decisions, decisions! :D

Hmmmm... You really need THIS!!

Yes, I do!!! But not at that price! :D

I'm actually going to look at a 'Vette tomorrow... :eek:

I really don't want to be held responsible...:devil:

i've actually found a nicer one, but its a little more expensive. Also found a very nice S600L. i'm just not convinced i'm ready to start paying for fuel again - and its going from one extreeme (running on WVO costing nothing!) to having to fill a V12 up. :rolleyes:

but i've got that itch now, and i feel it wont go away :devil: Why did you have to start this thread, eh!?

i've already put feelers out on the sale of the E300D over the past few months. But i could always ditch the SL instead :eek:

Maybe i should just clean the W124 and i'll fall in love with it again - its been dirty for months now and i reckon this also causes you to fall out of love with a car. At the moment its running best it ever has as i replaced the main in/out rubber fuel lines last weekend with new 10mm ones and now, i get 0 air bubbles :D

Last edited:
Yes, I do!!! But not at that price! :D

I'm actually going to look at a 'Vette tomorrow... :eek:

A friend of mine has one. A fabulous car. He even claims it's practical and drove it from the Midlands to Aberdeen the other week. Rather him than me, the rear wheels make a heck of a noise from inside.

Last edited:
i've already put feelers out on the sale of the E300D over the past few months. But i could always ditch the SL instead :eek:

Maybe i should just clean the W124 and i'll fall in love with it again - its been dirty for months now and i reckon this also causes you to fall out of love with a car. At the moment its running best it ever has as i replaced the main in/out rubber fuel lines last weekend with new 10mm ones and now, i get 0 air bubbles :D

I wouldn't sell the W124 - it is an absolute classic and a beautiful car. If you were sell it and keep the E300 and get a 7 series you'd have two large family style cars and nothing to "play" with. Dropping the roof in a W124 on a sunny day is something I'd love to do!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom