Getting a company car, what should I do with my AMG?

What do I do?

• Sell the AMG, keep the S class, splash out on a holiday

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Sell the AMG and the s class, replace with an ML420 CDI

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Keep the AMG as a toy

Votes: 29 65.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m2287

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG
I'm getting a boring company car, a seat Leon!

Do I keep my CL55 as a toy, I may use it once a week, it only costs £60 a month to tax and insure... I've had it for 6 years, done around 120k in it and it's pretty much worthless as it has 260k on the clock even though it's still in pretty decent Nick!

OR do I sell it along with my wife's LWB S class (which also costs £60 a month to tax and insure) and buy her an ML420 CDI which I could use on the odd occasion (first thing I would do to it is exhaust mods and a remap!). The ML only comes to mind due to practicality with having three young daughters! Tax and insurance would come to £80 a month on it.

I just don't know what to do :dk::dk:

Hmm, the obvious answer to your problem is an E class estate with a big motor, having sold the two existing Mercs.

Something like this assuming there's a budget of around £10K:-

Mercedes-Benz E Class 5.4 E55 AMG 5dr

Or maybe one of these if there's a bit more in the pot:-

Mercedes-Benz E Class 6.2 E63 AMG 7G-Tronic 5dr

What's not to like? It rolls everything you need into one tidy package. AMG motor, room for the kids and the dog and it doesn't get sat unused 6 days a week.

Last edited:
The 55 is a 7 seater, I didn't even realise they did them! Hummmm now you have got me thinking!

With that mileage the CL will be as you said pretty much worthless, I would definitely keep as a weekend summer toy on a classic insurance limited mileage policy:thumb:SORN for winter...

I'm getting a boring company car, a seat Leon!
Do I keep my CL55 as a toy, I may use it once a week, it only costs £60 a month to tax and insure... I've had it for 6 years, done around 120k in it and it's pretty much worthless as it has 260k on the clock even though it's still in pretty decent Nick!

OR do I sell it along with my wife's LWB S class (which also costs £60 a month to tax and insure) and buy her an ML420 CDI which I could use on the odd occasion (first thing I would do to it is exhaust mods and a remap!). The ML only comes to mind due to practicality with having three young daughters! Tax and insurance would come to £80 a month on it.

I just don't know what to do :dk::dk:

With that mileage the CL will be as you said pretty much worthless, I would definitely keep as a weekend summer toy on a classic insurance limited mileage policy:thumb:SORN for winter...

The only thing that worries me is that the CL needs to be driven regularly, without a fair amount of use they just seem to accumulate problems! Don't get me wrong, I can fix them but I don't want to spend my days off fixing it instead of driving it! The other issue is that it only has 4 seats so we can't all go out in it.

IMHO if the CL is no longer suitable (4 seats) for family needs, let it move onto pastures new. You'll make someone's day when they get it.
Similarly, if your wife drives enough to make a diesel make sense (short journey issues) and if you've not had a high seated 4x4 before, get one
Long time dead and all that....

Those 420's do, I am told, remap to ludicrous torque numbers, just don't buy one for mpg

I'd be happy with ML420. With a remap and some exhaust work it's a 400BHP/1000Nm car. Even with just a plug and play tuning box it's immense fun to drive around.

I'd go with the ML and a company car - less stuff (cars, tax, insurance, storage) to worry about. If you feel like getting a sports car year-two down the line, get a 55k or 63 as a toy.

With three young daughters the monthly running costs of your cars will soon pale to insignificance :D

Matt

With three young daughters the monthly running costs of your cars will soon pale to insignificance :D

Matt

I'm teaching them to hand their stuf down to each other, it's working pretty well so far! Also them having 7 uncles and an aunt helps at Xmas!

Your wife drives an S LWB - impressive - that's one big car.

We did use my car for our wedding so it does have some sentimental value...

The s class:

The ML:

I do think the ML looks great, it's definitely more practical with the boot space too!

Last edited:
Nice cars
But
The ML won't be a come down, would suit family needs well (3 daughters!) and despite them handing down stuff, every 60 quid will count on a monthly basis

Think, over a year, that's annual Merlin passes for the family (or the like) paid for as an example...

I've owned both a CL55 and an ML420 and the first thing you'll notice is the drop in the interior quality; it is very utilitarian. Brilliant engine though, out of all the different V8 diesels I've owned it was the most frugal and only really let down by the 2 second delay on the gearbox.

Make sure you get one with air suspension too, makes a massive difference to the ride compared to an ML on springs.

Your wife drives an S LWB - impressive - that's one big car.

Indeed it is, given that at 5m the CL is bigger than a W212 estate (with less space inside) and that the W220 lwb is 8 inches longer than a CL.

I'll buy your CL if you decide to sell. (Good price my friend)

I've owned both a CL55 and an ML420 and the first thing you'll notice is the drop in the interior quality; it is very utilitarian. Brilliant engine though, out of all the different V8 diesels I've owned it was the most frugal and only really let down by the 2 second delay on the gearbox.

Make sure you get one with air suspension too, makes a massive difference to the ride compared to an ML on springs.

As Lee says, get an airmatic. At least you'll have a break from working on the hydraulics ;)

As Lee says, get an airmatic. At least you'll have a break from working on the hydraulics ;)

Airmatic and the AMG bodykit are a must for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom