Good or Bad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesDriver

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF Sportbrake 25t X260; Mini Cooper R50
Presumably we all like to think of ourselves we are good drivers, but how do we really know if we really are???:confused:
Or we are just as bad as many of those we see and nod.
What makes a driver a good one?
Is it no points on a licence?
NCD for past years?
Nürburgring driving experience without crash?
Millions of miles?

How can we improve and be even better ones?

Your thoughts?

Many people think they are good drivers because they can update their Facebook status while going round a roundabout and not spill their coffee ...

I guess an important quality of a good driver is the ability to assess the situation ahead.

The ability foresee and predict the actions of other road users helps to ensure that dangerous situations are avoided.

Passing the advanced driving test is a good start.
Everything covered in these tests, which I managed to see, I had experienced in reality and got myself out of trouble.
I would be more interested in getting experience in police or defense/VIP chauffeur type of driving courses and type of the driving I have never experienced.
But again, would it mean I am a good driver?

I recently had an IAM one hour aged person driving assessment - just to see what bad habits I had picked up over the last 60 years. The assessor was an ex police royal protection squad driver, a nice bloke as it happens. I drove a mixture of roads for an hour,the way that I would normally drive and at the end while parking outside my house I inadvertantly put one wheel up on the pavement while making the manoeuvre. "GOT YOU he said, I hate giving excellents all the way through!"
Well worth doing, and a bit of reassurance for my other half.

I consider myself a good driver as I constantly police myself.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to;

* Lane discipline, move left unless you're overtaking something.
* Lane discipline, you're not in a McLaren F1, your car should be in the middle, not you.
* Lane discipline, when the overhead gantry says the lane is closed, I'm already out of it, rather than hurtling at the reason it's closed at 70+mph.
* Indicating every time. I can honestly say I've never changed lane on a motorway or dual carriageway without indicating several flashes before making my move.
* Indicating, before brakes every time for turning corners.
* Indicating, hazard lights mean you're unavoidably a hazard, it doesn't mean you can park anywhere.
* Stopping behind the car in front being able to see tyres and tarmac, not read the driver in front's text message.
* I can drive on the motorway 2 chevrons apart, even when there are no chevrons painted on the road.
* I go on the brakes, not the accelerator when a light goes from green to amber.
* Seating position: I sit high, so the line-of-sight cone to the floor around the car's perimeter has a smaller radius. Those who sit with their eyes barely over their steering wheel can't see the ground for about 15m all around their car.

I'm always looking to learn and improve. I haven't been on IAT or any other advanced driving courses, but am interested in doing so.

* Lane discipline, you're not in a McLaren F1, your car should be in the middle, not you.
* Lane discipline, when the overhead gantry says the lane is closed, I'm already out of it, rather than hurtling at the reason it's closed at 70+mph.
* Indicating every time. I can honestly say I've never changed lane on a motorway or dual carriageway without indicating several flashes before making my move.
* Indicating, hazard lights mean you're unavoidably a hazard, it doesn't mean you can park anywhere.
* Stopping behind the car in front being able to see tyres and tarmac, not read the driver in front's text message.
* I can drive on the motorway 2 chevrons apart, even when there are no chevrons painted on the road.
* I go on the brakes, not the accelerator when a light goes from green to amber.
* Seating position: I sit high, so the line-of-sight cone to the floor around the car's perimeter has a smaller radius. Those who sit with their eyes barely over their steering wheel can't see the ground for about 15m all around their car.

I'm always looking to learn and improve. I haven't been on IAT or any other advanced driving courses, but am interested in doing so.
Everything you wrote I do the same except seating. I am quite tall hence always sit high :dk:

I avoid motorways when possible, it seems today that just because you indicate that you are going to change lanes means you pull out behind the overtaking car, just a few feet after it has passed! If you leave the proper gap behind the car in front, 9 times out of 10 some t***t will fill it, leaving you to drop back again! Lane discipline has all but dissappeard in this country, I will ALWAYS take the nearest A road, unless there's no alternative!

Last edited:
On the road I do my best to treat others how I'd like to be treated and also assume that everyone behind the wheel is on a suicide mission and at any moment will do something crazy.

To me; that you consider the possibility that you might not be as good as you hope you are, makes you a much better driver than people who believe they are excellent drivers.

My mother-in-law is a former army driving instructor; she says that I'm a good driver. I don't think my driving is anything special, but I think I'm safer than some people I know.

I rode a motorcycle for five years before I started to drive, riding a bike is SO MUCH more dangerous than driving a car! You become paranoid about what's going on around you, you notice everything! That doesn't stop once you start driving, I still make sure that I make eye contact with drivers pulling out of side roads, junctions. I cover the brakes approaching lights, zebra crossings and T junctions, pay careful attention to pedestrians lurking by the curb! Most of this honed by being a London based motorcycle courier for six years! Everybody who takes the driving test should be given a pillion ride on the back of a motorcycle courier for one day, it might also help stop the "Sorry mate, I didn't see you!" motorcycle accidents.

I look further than the end of my bonnet, so things happening a hundred yards up are not a surprise to me.

I don't tailgate and I don't race as I'm happy with the size of my ****.

Everything you wrote I do the same except seating. I am quite tall hence always sit high :dk:
I'm only 5'4", so being able to sit high would be a real treat for me! I have the seat at its highest position and also move it fairly close to the steering wheel to improve my field of view.

I seem to recall that the "waistline" of the Austin Montego company car I had in the dim and distant past was very low so I had a very good view of the road. Land Rovers (I've had three) are also good for visibility.

Do the police driver training - I used to organise this when I ran Audi Ecosse back in the 90's. It was held at Knockhill and "policed" (pardon the pun..) by Ex Tulliallan Instructors.. the training was awesome, he would drive first and show you how, then there was the classroom training and assessment, then out on the road and video.. its frighteningly good and can't say enough about it.. if you get the chance DO IT! It will change the way you drive for ever...

Agree with most of the above - apart from this indicating for lane changes .

Signals should only be given after observation and proper consideration .

As regards lane changes on multi lane roads , only two circumstances are possible :

After observation it is possible to change lane safely without inconveniencing or interfering with any other road user , therefore no signal required or appropriate .

After observation it is NOT possible to change lanes without inconveniencing or interfering with any other road user - therefore the manoeuvre should not be attempted and you must remain where you are until the circumstances change .

A little flashing light does not change an unsafe manoeuvre into a safe one ; nor does it give any authority or protection .

i-CONICA * I go on the brakes, not the accelerator when a light goes from green to amber.

You're not one of those that slam the brakes on 5 yards from the lights when it would've been perfectly safe to have gone through, are you?.
The accidents I've nearly had over the years thanks to people panicking at the sight of a changing light.

I recently had an IAM one hour aged person driving assessment - just to see what bad habits I had picked up over the last 60 years. The assessor was an ex police royal protection squad driver, a nice bloke as it happens. I drove a mixture of roads for an hour,the way that I would normally drive and at the end while parking outside my house I inadvertantly put one wheel up on the pavement while making the manoeuvre. "GOT YOU he said, I hate giving excellents all the way through!"
Well worth doing, and a bit of reassurance for my other half.

A few months ago I did the same assessment for the very same reason. The only difference was that I didn't drive onto the pavement. It's certainly reassuring when you get a complete stranger, especially one with a special interest in safe driving, tells you that he's very impressed with your driving. Not an excuse to be complacent but good to know I'm getting it roughly right. It reminds me of when I was at school and got 99% in a technical drawing exam; I asked my teacher where I'd lost the 1% and he replied: "Nobody's perfect, there's always room for improvement."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom