Heater matrix advice needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horatio

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK, 190E
I have a coolant leak from the vent in front of the back seat, so I know my matrix needs changing. I can do the job but not until June because it will take me a few days to carefully take the dash apart etc

Should I bypass the matrix or just keep an eye on it? Is the matrix likely to grenade now its on the way out?

thanks

I would consider using a sealant such as K-seal, it has very good reviews and it would save an awful lot of work in stripping the dash.

K-Seal Car Leak Repair: Coolant, Head Gasket & Radiator Sealant

I like this bit......

After K-Seal has made a repair it is not necessary to leave it in the system because the repair is permanent. You can either choose to replace the contents of the cooling system or leave the original K-Seal mixture in the system.

Last edited:
Hi thanks, that is an option.

I splashed out on a new head gasket, water pump and rad (all genuine!) a few years ago so I don't really want to clog the system up. The car is in really good condition and is a long termer rather than a shed if you see what I mean.

Other option is to park it up and buy another car to use for a bit.

Hi thanks, that is an option.

I splashed out on a new head gasket, water pump and rad (all genuine!) a few years ago so I don't really want to clog the system up. The car is in really good condition and is a long termer rather than a shed if you see what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean and i wouldnt have even considered using one of these sealants from years ago due to the fear of clogging things up, but i do believe that they've come a long way since then, and in a case such as yours where it is a major job to access the matrix i, personally, would consider the K seal route, especially where they state that the product can be drained after its done its job, unlike the earlier products that had to be left in the system.

(ps...i'm not a K seal agent!!)

Last edited:
I've used Novastop it has stopped major leaks and i think it said leave it in to prevent future leaks

Well I've ordered a new Nissens matrix and I think I'll have a pop at doing it over the weekend. It doesn't look that hard, just laborious. Famous last words... :D

I had to change one in a 2004 peugeot boxer it took about 2 hours to remove all the stupid dash and the blower box etc. And the one in the 98 boxer van took an hour and a half

Here's the removal of the dash in Charles Morgan's 320CDI to gain access to the evaporator. :eek:
The heater matrix was repaired at the same time. LINK.

Yikes!! The 190 should be a breeze in comparison with a W210 though!

I reckon the problem goes back to when it was run with (virtually) neat water years back. I will use de-ionised water and genuine coolant this time!

I remember that Job.

The 190 should be a doddle......

The new matrix has plastic spirally off-cuts in a few of the tubes - could have caused me no end of grief if I didn't notice! Sent it back and getting a genuine one instead

Last edited:
^^ They were normal so didn't have to in the end :eek:

Got the matrix done though. To be honest it wasn't that bad a job, just a bit fiddly. I could have save some time if I had marked out all the connections better, what is obvious when you're taking something apart isn't a few hours later. Chuffed its done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom