• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How far can safety camera vans see

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Okay I'll admit it. I got a little bit carried away on the M9 near dunblane and in the very far distance >1mile I saw a safety camera van parked up in the bridge (on the pavement). I assume that if I could see it, its radar (or whatever) would see me. I slowed down pretty quickly but would it track you round a corner, and for how long would it measure your speed. If it did catch me (from the point) I'd pass out of its view before I would pass into its view again (another bridge in the way).

Without incriminating myself in public it would be safe to say I'd be worthy of its attention before I slowed down and the punishment would be severe and be justly deserved (for what could be considered by the law to be dangerous).

The Holier than Thou brigade will say how what I did was bad etc and I deserve punishment etc. I just want to know if its likely that I'll receive it.

I.e. how far does it track your distance and therefore calculate your speed, or soon as you come into view has it nabbed you? If its the later I am in deep sh**

Hopefully you will have been lucky enough to be out of their range will keep the fingers crossed for you. I was going down to Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago and just spotted them at the last moment I was not going that fast just over 90mph.

Jim.

I think it depends what they are aiming it at? I would think you would be OK at that distance away.

But I am just a bloke on the internet!!!:)

It could be a van that just scans your number plate for insurance, MOT, TAX.

I thought i its the number plate / insurance / tax vans then they usually have a police car / motorbike nearby also.

Did you spot any other police near the van parked up?

You may have seen my post on Friday, was doing 45mph in 40 zone which equates to 42/3 on my GPS. Still in the wrong I know and I'm expecting a ticket.

This Morning, the post arrives and a letter from the DVLA !!! bl....dy hell thats quick I thought as I opened it.......

It was a reminder for a number plate I have on retention :)

OOh well 2 weeks more to wait.

ST naughty boy. I can see all your admirers queuing up to hit you on this one.
I am not sure but i think that distance is pretty far away to spot you.
I think the laser needs 0.3 seconds to catch you

I thought i its the number plate / insurance / tax vans then they usually have a police car / motorbike nearby also.

Did you spot any other police near the van parked up?

You may have seen my post on Friday, was doing 45mph in 40 zone which equates to 42/3 on my GPS. Still in the wrong I know and I'm expecting a ticket.

This Morning, the post arrives and a letter from the DVLA !!! bl....dy hell thats quick I thought as I opened it.......

It was a reminder for a number plate I have on retention :)

OOh well 2 weeks more to wait.
I'm sure you'll be ok, but then Andy_cyp's wife got caught at 41mph on a 40!!

ST naughty boy. I can see all your admirers queuing up to hit you on this one.
I am not sure but i think that distance is pretty far away to spot you.
I think the laser needs 0.3 seconds to catch you

I know. I was in two minds to post this up but I don't see why I shouldn't.

There are camera vans on that bridge a lot and I left my road angel at home (as my car was in for work today @ MB glasgow and I didn't want it nicked) so my usual alert wasn't there.

I could see no other police vehicles near by, but the van had the speed camera symbol on it and wording like "safety camera partnership making roads safer" guff on it . It had a flap open with a big camera pointing down the road. it was on the bridge I was coming off on, but its got a long range of sight.

If it can nab you in 0.3 secs and it got me where I think it did, then there is no hope. I'd be well above its tolerances even if there was 10% +20.

They do need the money, and I resent this sneaky way of doing it but to be fair I would be worthy of a police pull for what I did. I know it was stupid and I don't drive fast, but on this occasion I was going very fast.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll be ok, but then Andy_cyp's wife got caught at 41mph on a 40!!

Going ever so slightly off topic...

Of course there are times when 40 in a 40 limit isn't safe either, and if a ticket is a step down from being reported to court for a greater offence, then that's the nice thing about the cops having discretion....

If at 41 you would rather go to court and let the magistrate hear the case, that's always an option, but a ticket at 41mph might just indicate benevolance - something a camera can't do.

But then without knowing the full facts, who can say.

:o

Assuming you do get a ticket as I'm expecting

It there any point in asking for a calibration cerificate?

Or is this an urban myth?

Going ever so slightly off topic...

Of course there are times when 40 in a 40 limit isn't safe either, and if a ticket is a step down from being reported to court for a greater offence, then that's the nice thing about the cops having discretion....

If at 41 you would rather go to court and let the magistrate hear the case, that's always an option, but a ticket at 41mph might just indicate benevolance - something a camera can't do.

But then without knowing the full facts, who can say.

In my case if I cop had pulled me they couldn't have used discretion. It was a serious breach (although the conditions were favourable with good visibility and dry road with light traffic the speed was still very high)

Assuming you do get a ticket as I'm expecting

It there any point in asking for a calibration cerificate?

Or is this an urban myth?

You can accept the conditional offer (if you get one) or you can chose to test the evidence and go to court. If they caught you at more that 20mph over the limit, the chances are you are going to court anyway - so asking for the cert, the training record of the operator, the images recorded, the log sheet of the van being used, the previous convictions of the operator, a transcript of any radio traffic to or from the van, confirmation of whether the operator had their mobile phone turned on (and whether they made any calls), are all options.

Not an urban myth.

In my case if I cop had pulled me they couldn't have used discretion. It was a serious breach (although the conditions were favourable with good visibility and dry road with light traffic the speed was still very high)

They can always use discretion.

Why wouldn't 100mph on an empty motorway be safe assuming the driver and vehicle are upto the task?

You can accept the conditional offer (if you get one) or you can chose to test the evidence and go to court. If they caught you at more that 20mph over the limit, the chances are you are going to court anyway - so asking for the cert, the training record of the operator, the images recorded, the log sheet of the van being used, the previous convictions of the operator, a transcript of any radio traffic to or from the van, confirmation of whether the operator had their mobile phone turned on (and whether they made any calls), are all options.

Not an urban myth.

If you lose at court is it true you'd get a greater punishment (plus legal + court costs). TBH I'd probably take the punishment on the chin as whilst it was a momentary lapse in concentration (i.e. the camera van location) I was fully aware of the speed I was going at.

No real hard answer really, the chap operating it may have been the really sly type and already had it worked out that anyone who had just seen the van was already too late. Don't know exactly what distances are covered nowadays with modern lenses.
The most agonising part is waiting for letter, I don't envy you the waiting and not knowing.

Sincerely hope you don't get one though. Fingers crossed , Good Luck.

They can always use discretion.

Why wouldn't 100mph on an empty motorway be safe assuming the driver and vehicle are upto the task?

It was quiet, not empty and who measures if I am upto the task, I am not a police trained driver. I had control of the car but even the best driver in the world will take a whole heap longer to stop from 100mph and evasive action will be that bit harder.

The van has no discretion, it just see's £££ and if I am very lucky hopefully none of mine.

If you lose at court is it true you'd get a greater punishment (plus legal + court costs). TBH I'd probably take the punishment on the chin as whilst it was a momentary lapse in concentration (i.e. the camera van location) I was fully aware of the speed I was going at.

If you get a ticket/conditional offer then you are looking at 3 points plus the fixed fine - that tends to be the starting point at court, however...

I have travelled in excess of the posted speed limit, in a private car, under circumstances that I am absolutely confident would result in no fine or points if I were to go to court (I have to admit, I have never had to test that confidence...!)

The right answer to your question is - "Speak to a lawyer and explain all of the circumstances so that they can advise you competently, not some bloke on t'internet"

IThere are camera vans on that bridge a lot and I left my road angel at home (as my car was in for work today @ MB glasgow and I didn't want it nicked) so my usual alert wasn't there.

I'd be well above its tolerances even if there was 10% +20.

I don't drive fast,

Hmm..
You don't drive fast but you have a road angel and have maybe been caught at over 20 over the limit, maybe even 30 over. That doesn't add up to a minor slip over the limit..

No wonder you are so vehemently opposed to speed cameras and penalties.:rolleyes:

Of course if one doesn't stick their head above the parapet, no-one can shoot at it...;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom