• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How far can safety camera vans see

lol.... think you mean no...

Do weekend count or is it 14 working days?

It better be 14 days, not 14 working days or I have to sweat a bit longer. I've got a big run down to the Gaydon GTG so will have to be on best behaviour for that too.

I've had a beer or two, typos happen ;)

Right my question is how close can you be:D .

Driving towards Leak this morning was stuck behind a van doing 50. Being impatient and a BMW driver I passed him, keeping within 60 MPH limit. Was a bit disturbed to find out that the tranny parked up on the other side of the road was a speed camera van. Thought glad I did not go over 60, then saw the reminder sign saying 50 limit:(

I completely missed the sign warning of entry to the limit so no defence other than stupidity. However I do wonder - if the camera was aiming at traffic coming from the other direction at some distance, I may have popped up and back before he got me. Time will tell. I know they normally get oncoming traffic, can they get traffic in the other direction as well?

If it is of any help , I fell foul of one of those vans on the same road ( between Stirling and Cumbernauld ) some years ago . In my case , I came over a hill crest to see a van on an overhead bridge straight in front of me , the distance was certainly much less than a mile . At the time these vans were still 'new technology' and I did not immediately recognise it for what it was ; when I got close enough to read the writing on the side and see the camera pointing out of the open window , I slowed down . Unfortunately , for me , I got a ticket for doing 82 mph .

At the time , I received the enquiry form asking who was driving etc. Being a disorganised sort of person , I managed to misplace the form , but I knew it originated from Central Police HQ in Stirling so I phoned them up and asked to speak to someone in the relevant department ; knowing that I was going to be in Stirling a couple of days later , I asked if I could call by and complete the paperwork ; I was told this would be fine . I duly turned up and was greeted at the door by a young lady who asked if I was there to view a video . On explaining why I was there , I was taken upstairs to an office where they had numerous computers and vcr's playing back traffic recordings on several monitors : I could see the operators shuttling the tapes back and forth and that recordings would show cars typically two or three hundred yards away with number plates clearly visible , time and speed readings also being shown on screen . There were recordings running from a number of different locations , but all were showing vehicles at a similar range . The recordings were clear enough , incidentally , that drivers could be recognised .

I also know from my own experience as a professional photographer and cameraman that , even when using very good tripods costing many thousands of pounds , it is very difficult to keep a camera steady enough to use the amount of magnification that would be neccessary to pick up a vehicle a mile away ( and even more difficult to read a number plate at that distance ) . At these distances even the vibration present in a bridge , or buffeting of the camera by wind would be significant - this would be with the tripod out of the vehicle and standing on the bridge - a tripod mounted in a vehicle subject to suspension movement and possibly with engine vibration if the operator was trying to keep warm would be even worse . It is unlikely that readings will be taken at more than a few hundred metres therefore .

I got the fixed penalty and the three points , now thankfully removed from my licence .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom