• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How far can safety camera vans see

Sorry but I havent read the entire diatribe on this thread as that I have read hasnt exactly been helpful or positive.:p

I hope to be both: if you saw them at one mile I would think that you are more awake than they are and that they are probably targetting a nearer victim. 1 mile is a long way for a person behind the camera to be concentrating on, so I would think ( & hope ) you are more than likely to be OK:bannana:

Its just another " terror tactic " to give you sleepless nights from the 1984 administration! (cf Orwell):mad:

Getting back to the OP the maximum distance they can get you at and prosecute in court is 1 Km or approx 0.6 of a mile hope you were outside of this. I know from experience the Scottish boys in blue are very keen after an experience on the M74 as posted earlier, good luck

I was caught over 900 metres away.

Dave!

...and in the very far distance >1mile I saw a safety camera van parked up in the bridge (on the pavement).
If it really was that far away then it's unlikely that they would have been able to form a prior opinion of excess speed and even less likely that they would have been able to successfully target a vehicle. Unfortunately, you now have 14 days to find out whether that was, indeed, the case.

*** - Let me first say i hope you dont recieve any nasty letters from the camera people. Whilst i disagree with some of what you say I don't wish ill on other members of the forum.

but i must take issue with a couple of your points

1) there is the principle of the matter, why should I be watched and my movements stored like some child molestor out of prison
)

a child molester out of prison would be on the sex offenders register and as such would be expected to a) register to the police within 3 days of release from prison b) tell the police of any change of name, address or foriegn trip c) have to reregister every year d) are photographed and the photo distributed nationally and internationally e) barred from any activities involving children or even tagged electronically f) information can be shared with other agencies and wil show to any employer using a CRB g) local people (headmasters, youth workers, doctors etc told the offenders whereabouts on a confidential basis.

on any level the surveillance and control over a sex offender is vastly different to the average private motorist and i for one would like to see you stop drawing the parallel. I just dont think there is a place for it on the forum, I dont want to come here and have to think about sex offences against children. Rant over.

Can you name any other activity thats regulated and watched as much as driving?

yes, many professional roles are licensed and monitored in a much more personal way than private driving. Flying (commercial and private), teaching and many many arms of the armed forces and medical profession are regulated, watched & monitored way more than driving.

i always feel hard done by when i drive past police or cameras but remind myself how would the average driver behave if they werent there or indeed there wasnt a financial penalty. given the examples of driving i see on the roads from others (and *ahem* occasionally myself) i cannot see a strong argument for less control on the roads.

keeping my fingers crossed for you.

a child molester out of prison would be on the sex offenders register and as such would be expected to a) register to the police within 3 days of release from prison b) tell the police of any change of name, address or foriegn trip c) have to reregister every year d) are photographed and the photo distributed nationally and internationally e) barred from any activities involving children or even tagged electronically f) information can be shared with other agencies and wil show to any employer using a CRB g) local people (headmasters, youth workers, doctors etc told the offenders whereabouts on a confidential basis.

That is what it is supposed to be. but it is not like that really on the ground. how many offenders still work in school and molest people today?
if you do not pay your speed fine, you can be rest assured of several knocks on your door and be chased for life till you pay it.
if you do not register as a sex offender, or move house and do not tell anyone, how many times do they chase around looking for you, and how many slip the net to commit more heinous acts over and over? How many strip off their tags and laugh at the aauthorities?

I do not mind the roads being regulated with an iron fist, but so should every other aspect of crime, and if we are to prioritise due to shortage of men and equipment, then roads should take a back burner. either way, every type of crime should be treated equally with the same vigour. Those that bring in cash and those that do not.

Last edited:
If it really was that far away then it's unlikely that they would have been able to form a prior opinion of excess speed

Yes good point. They are only supposed to 'light up' vehicles that they consider are already breaking the limit (the laser reading is a confirmation). It's difficult enough to gauge speed when something is coming straight towards you close up, never mind a mile away.

Can anyone name a legal activity which kills around 3000 people and seriously injures many many more each year? Even our armed forces with their guns, missiles and bombs have not done that since WW2.

Might just explain why driving is so heavily regulated.

Can anyone name a legal activity which kills around 3000 people and seriously injures many many more each year? Even our armed forces with their guns, missiles and bombs have not done that since WW2.

Might just explain why driving is so heavily regulated.

MRSA and C_diff:D and the 3000 was the same before regulation so the regulation has not done much to reduce it.

N.B the regulation is nothing to do with life saving anyway as most fines have nothing to do with speed or death causing situations

Last edited:
and what does taking money achieve apart from making people believe that it is all about cash? certainly does not stop people speeding as that is still going on.

Its a penalty, so its a punishment and it begins to pay for the process.

Not likeing the process or the idea of being caught is, I believe, the idea...:o

Its a penalty, so its a punishment and it begins to pay for the process.

Not likeing the process or the idea of being caught is, I believe, the idea...:o

It more than pays for the process. So how about applying that to anything that costs money to enforce?
The idea is to make money for whoever gets it which at present is debatable

Last edited:
That is what it is supposed to be. but it is not like that really on the ground. how many offenders still work in school and molest people today?

I don't know and I'm sure the others are interested, so please tell us.

Everything is monitored and regulated these days, nearly every move we make is logged in some way. Mobile phones record our movements, CCTV watches over us, credit and store loyalty cards plot our spending habits. Our internet activity leaves a trail which can easily be picked up on and oh yes, once or twice in every thousand miles we drive past an ANPR van or roadside camera :)

As for the not getting enough warnings etc. How many warnings does the average motorist need? You drive past all those little signs at the side of the road that tell you the speed limit - don't they count? :)

Back to the OP. At that distance (and considering what you said about the bridges) they may not have caught you because they won't have had a chance to form an opinion that you were travelling too fast, aim the camera and get a reading. Of course, if they just had the camera pointed at a certain spot and hoped to catch everyone passing then you may be unlucky but surely that isn't legal is it?

ANPR is about taking CRIMINALS off the roads (and does it very well too)

How come all the ones on the telly just seem to be poor people with no insurance or tax?

Won't the criminals be bright enough to use a car with tax mot and insruance so as to avoid the government cameras?

It more than pays for the process.

Thats good then, it can begin to pay towards the consequences. :D

You seem to think its all about money. Maybe your African experience leads you with that conclusion?

I know child abusers, burglars and drug dealers who don't like the enforcement methods used against them either. Thats the thing about getting caught doing something thats against the law - you say the law isn't right, the enforcement method isn't fair or that "they" should be out catching murderers... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom