• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How far can safety camera vans see

one comment - I saw a program on telly about those vans and they can see you at up to a mile away apparently.

Good luck tho mate.

Can anyone name a legal activity which kills around 3000 people and seriously injures many many more each year? Even our armed forces with their guns, missiles and bombs have not done that since WW2.

Might just explain why driving is so heavily regulated.

ignorance?

Last time I looked into it, the (worldwide) death rate from HIV/AIDS was 100K souls per year. Although awareness is getting better, ignorance is sending far too many people to the grave.

Driving is a risk, and yes, I agree that it has to be regulated. Sorry if you thought I was having a pop at you over that, I wasn't. I strongly dislike the way road users are treated by those in control.

Personally, I'd like to see more Plod on the road and fewer cameras. 'Safety' cameras do not respond to safety issues - they react only to speed. So someone over the limit, high on drugs, driving on the wrong side of the road eating a McDonalds whilst taking a telephone call will evade the camera. As will someone driving a stolen car at speed. But that is a separate discussion..

Last time I looked into it, the (worldwide) death rate from HIV/AIDS was 100K souls per year. Although awareness is getting better, ignorance is sending far too many people to the grave.

Driving is a risk, and yes, I agree that it has to be regulated. Sorry if you thought I was having a pop at you over that, I wasn't. I strongly dislike the way road users are treated by those in control.

Personally, I'd like to see more Plod on the road and fewer cameras. 'Safety' cameras do not respond to safety issues - they react only to speed. So someone over the limit, high on drugs, driving on the wrong side of the road eating a McDonalds whilst taking a telephone call will evade the camera. As will someone driving a stolen car at speed. But that is a separate discussion..

Ok fair enough. What I should have said and meant to say was "legally licensed activity". I am not prepared to discuss the pros and cons of what you call 'safety' cameras (that comment should produce a large exhalation of breath from my readers - phew!).;)

PS

HIV/AIDS deaths worldwide are 20% of motoring deaths which run at 500,000 per year.

Last edited:

HIV / AIDS deaths run at about 2million a year not 100k.

Back to the original post.

Laser speed cameras are calibrated up to 1000m for the UK. I have personally been nabbed at 675m (its printed on the photo if you ask for it).

SPECS speed averaging (ANPR cameras) will capture cars travelling up to 169mph.

You are calling SPECS Cameras "ANPR" - they are two completely different things...:crazy:

Actually I'm not.

Do note fall into the trap of believeing that ANPR means anything about how it is used. It is only the technology which allows computer systems to recognised car number plates.

ANPR - Automatic Number Plate Recognition.

The SPECS system works by recording your number plate using ANPR as you pass each camera and then working out your average speed over the distance at which they are set apart.

This is done by processing each video frame taken and searching for a car number plate using ANPR.

Whenever a number plate is recognised the image is stored, along with details of time and place. These are retained as proof for later for use in a later prosecution.

If they place a van on a bridge over a motorway does the camera cover all 3 lanes or just one in particular.....and if one is in the middle lane (allegedly) doing something around the region of but not sure if it is exactly 80 ish and is overtaken by a BMW - would the camera pick up the BMW or both?:o

Naughty Naughty Steven :)

Are you going to bring a pushbike to the Scottish Meet from now on? :D

hehe, i jest - i am sure you will be fine from that distance. Fingers crossed. We all drive a bit enthusiastic at times and the people who dont agree to that are kidding themselves.

Dpbu0091.jpg

What barryh doesn't yet know is that he will be driving me to this event if I am banned :D

Actually I'm not.

Do note fall into the trap of believeing that ANPR means anything about how it is used. It is only the technology which allows computer systems to recognised car number plates.

ANPR - Automatic Number Plate Recognition.

The SPECS system works by recording your number plate using ANPR as you pass each camera and then working out your average speed over the distance at which they are set apart.

This is done by processing each video frame taken and searching for a car number plate using ANPR.

Whenever a number plate is recognised the image is stored, along with details of time and place. These are retained as proof for later for use in a later prosecution.

Actually, you are.

SPECS is not ANPR, regardless of how it works.

Promise.

:D

Are you both right?

ie SPECS works with ANPR technology, but ANPR for 'enforcement' is a different ball-game, with different cameras/uses/data-retention etc?

Its a bit like saying your Dyson is a Hoover.

:o

Actually, you are.

SPECS is not ANPR, regardless of how it works.

Promise.

:D

Look.

I've actually written the code for one make of bus lane violation, speed limit enforcement and vehicle access control systems. So please believe me when I say that I know what ANPR is.

These systems can only track cars using their number plates, and no they can track more than one car at a time. It used to be that they would only track cars which remained in the same lane, but this is no longer the case.

They capture images for ALL cars passing the cameras. These images are time stamped, "watermarked" and encoded. They are stored digitally in a remote location not at the roadside. The cameras used are sensitive to the infra-red spectrum. Infra-red spotlights are used to increase the visibility of the number plate to the camera especially against the glare of vehicle headlights.

A seperate system then collates the images based on the car registration plate, as recognised by the ANPR software. The ANPR software only returns the text of the number plate - it does not verify that the number plate is valid.

Number plate validation is performed seperately and only once matching images show that a car has broken the pre-determined speed limit.

ANPR is used for all automatic enforcement as applied to vehicles where registration details are used. It is purely the means by which a number plate and its lettering is recognised by a computer from the image taken by the camera.

Thus speed, road fund license, insurance and buslane enforcement ALL use ANPR to capture the number plate details from the image.

If you still don't believe me then a simple search on say "specs speed camera" will pop up countless references to how it works.

Its now been 13 days since the offence and now NIP. I think I may have been lucky and slowed the car sufficiently down in time to avoid the trap.

I'll stick to 70 from now on, ironically I'll be on that stretch of road on Sunday. Make mental note, do not go 120mph :D

Its now been 13 days since the offence and now NIP. I think I may have been lucky and slowed the car sufficiently down in time to avoid the trap.

I'll stick to 70 from now on, ironically I'll be on that stretch of road on Sunday. Make mental note, do not go 120mph :D

lol.... think you mean no...

Do weekend count or is it 14 working days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom