How far should remote boot release open boot? W209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anybody know if the W204's tension can be adjusted too? Wouldn't mind it opening all the way again. Trivial in the whole scheme of things I know ....!

Yes it has several positions for the springs. It's on the weakest position on mine as I have no lip, number plate surround or anything.

You'll need something to grab the spring with firmly as it's a very strong spring. A substantial pair of molegrips locked onto it should be enough. You'll still need manly man arms though.

Yes it has several positions for the springs. It's on the weakest position on mine as I have no lip, number plate surround or anything.

You'll need something to grab the spring with firmly as it's a very strong spring. A substantial pair of molegrips locked onto it should be enough. You'll still need manly man arms though.

Thanks Mike, just had a look and repositioned mine, something nice and easy to sort out for a change! Took a few pics too, mine is the W204 so not all will be the same obviously, I would imagine some are similar though. If anyone is interested here you go:

The black plastic clip (near the interior light) has to be removed to pull the boot lining away to gain access to the spring on each side.

To remove the clip, the small section that passes through it (expanding the plastic 'pin' on the reverse side, locking it in place) needs prising out first. Flat blade screwdriver did the job.

Expander section removed.

Plastic clip removed, boot lining can be eased back to gain access.

There are 5 positions for the tension spring (W204) mine were in the second from the front, in this position when I bought the car.

I moved it one position back, to the middle setting, for a bit more tension. This did the job nicely, boot lid springs open completely now.

As Mike said, all you need is a good pair of sturdy grips and it is easily sorted, to move the spring position.

Thanks Mike, just had a look and repositioned mine, something nice and easy to sort out for a change! Took a few pics too, mine is the W204 so not all will be the same obviously, I would imagine some are similar though. If anyone is interested here you go:

The black plastic clip (near the interior light) has to be removed to pull the boot lining away to gain access to the spring on each side.

To remove the clip, the small section that passes through it (expanding the plastic 'pin' on the reverse side, locking it in place) needs prising out first. Flat blade screwdriver did the job.

Expander section removed.

Plastic clip removed, boot lining can be eased back to gain access.

There are 5 positions for the tension spring (W204) mine were in the second from the front, in this position when I bought the car.

I moved it one position back, to the middle setting, for a bit more tension. This did the job nicely, boot lid springs open completely now.

As Mike said, all you need is a good pair of sturdy grips and it is easily sorted, to move the spring position.

Thanks so much for the photos!!!!

Do you know if that's similar to W209, there's no clip on mine to remove the carpet.. thank god I saw yours I. Was trying to remove carpet on the tailgate rather than in the boot area!

Do you know if that's similar to W209,

Could not tell you, no idea to be honest! Mine is the W204, you may or may not have a similar setup, I'm not familiar with the W209 ...... :dk:

No problem spitfire thanks anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom