How not to take a bend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I may have posted this before.

Because of where I live I see a lot of bikers, they meet in a car park by the slip and a cafe. The village has one road in and the same one out, it's a single carriageway with plenty of crossings, lights and a mini roundabout.

The majority of bikers are OK but I see a lot of:

• Overtaking on zebra crossings
  • Driving at oncoming vehicles on the wrong side of the road
  • Main beams dazzling everyone else
  • Wheelies
  • Riding in packs
  • Stupid loud exhausts
  • Parking without paying
  • They no longer acknowledge when I pull to the left giving them more room to pass
  • Speeding
I'm happy to accept that those who ride bikes and drive cars have a much wider view on motoring but less happy with the behaviours above which are very common.

One thing I find interesting is that the guy didn't appear to be driving like a nutter ... 66-67 mph on the straight in good conditions with no other traffic in sight, and 55 mph when he started to drift wide on the bend. Obviously he made a serious misjudgment with terrible consequences, but I'm mildly surprised the conviction was for dangerous driving. I always thought this charge was reserved for more intentionally reckless behaviour?

As an aside the description on that Police website also seems a bit inflammatory: "he was hit by a driver travelling 70mph on the wrong side of the road". But the Subaru didn't reach 70 mph anywhere on the video, it was doing 50 when it crossed over to the wrong side, and 40 when it hit the bike.

What’s shocking about this incident is that the driver of the Subaru Pratt had been chairman of the Subaru International Drivers' Club since 2011 and on the day in question had been in the Peak District on a scenic drive with the club.
Pratt later told police officers he was "driving as if he didn't care for anyone around him."
Pratt by name and Pratt by nature is clearly an understatement.
Anybody own a Subaru and wants a job please submit your application to Mr Pratt C/O HMP Wakefield.
Car club chairman jailed for Peak District crash which injured ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom