Improving ride comfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aeromerc

Hi all, my first post having bought a SportCoupe a couple of months ago.

I had a good browse/search for similar topics but didn't find anything...

I love the car, having upgraded from a cheap/old/ordinary make. But I'm finding the ride a bit irritating. It may be a function of the cr*p roads I have to drive on, but even good A-roads are not as blissful as I assumed all Mercs would be.

Fair enough, I bought a sporty car, as my earlier cars were big barges (ok, Granada/Scorpio) and I wanted something a bit snappier... but I read some reviews of the SportCoupe and they also complain of a harsh ride.

Has anyone upgraded suspension/tyres to achieve better ride (rather than lower/sportier)? It seems after-market stuff is thin on the ground for Mercs.

I wonder if some adjustable shocks would help; but don't want to leave it to chance in case I end up with even harder ride like a boy-racer.

Thanks for any advice...

Is your car SE or Sport specification? Your quickest improvement to ride quality may be to go to a 16" wheel/tyre combination from 17 or 18" wheels provided they will fit---depends on brake/caliper dimensions.

Shocks and springs from the Elegance (did they do an Elegance version?)

How about some Koni FSD shocks - they have clever valves that allow sudden shocks (like potholes) to compress the shock, but stay stiffer under slower movement, turns, changes of direction etc.

No experience of these actually perform in real life - but the principle and technical publicity sounds good (might be worth googling for reviews/impressions).

Have you checked your tyre pressures are correct ?

Thanks to all for the various ideas; The wheels are 16 inch with moderate profile tyres, so not rock hard. The trouble as with all these things is spending the cash and finding out the result after, but once I have done something I will post again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom