It had to happen at some point

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
Had a brush with the tarmac today on the Brixton road... my bike came together with a ford fiesta van and I feel quite lucky to be back in the office typing this...

Classic 'didn't see you' t-bone - fiesta pulled out of a side road, stopped and then started again just as I was passing, luckily I swerved, my front wheel and LH cylinder head took the crunch and apparently (I can't really remember what happened) I did a 360 horizontal spin on the bike before coming to ground in the middle of the opposite side of the road - fortunately nothing was coming the other way..

Small bump on my left knee and both cylinder heads are mullered and the front end looks a bit wonky. Insurance is on the case (I wait with interest :rolleyes:) Managed to get the bike started and rode it back to the office - BMW make a sturdy bike for sure. ;)

The lady driving the van seemed rather relieved to see me get up and took it quite well (without actually admitting liability).

Bike gear did its job - If I was wearing my bike trousers, I wouldn't even have a scuffed knee - there's a lesson in there somewhere.

The most bizarre thing (which has happened to me before in extreme situations) is that whilst people were asking if I was OK, I was more concerned about checking my bike and laptop for damage. The human brain is a wonderful instrument..:D

I got 3 witnesses who took the details of the incident and volunteered their details immediately which kind of restores your faith in humanity.

Will see how the claim progresses.. Now going to try to call the police...

Ade

Holy crap ! A lucky escape !! :eek:

Glad you're ok fella , a bike can be fixed ...

Glad you are ok. It's not pleasant coming off a bike.

You think you're OK! - Wait till tomorrow morning - Oh the aches!!

Glad you got away without serious injury and hope you're claim gets sorted out.

I'm glad you're OK - but did no one call the police to the scene? The police should have been called as someone was hurt - you! Hope you get it all sorted out.

Good soak in a warm bath before bed tonight ;)

As a fellow BMW biker, it is annoying with all the publicity on SMIDSE, people still don't see bikes. Glad you are ok

You think you're OK! - Wait till tomorrow morning - Oh the aches!!

Glad you got away without serious injury and hope you're claim gets sorted out.

I'm sort of expecting it - the last time I came off was on a track day and a lot heavier - the following week was extremely painful due to heavily bruised ribs..

At the moment I don't feel too bad, but it could be the last remnants of adrenaline and too much coffee..

I left a message with Brixton police - I didn't report it at the time as I was more concerned with cancelling meetings and getting the bike started :rolleyes: Had I wound up in A&E it may have been different.

Thanks all.

Ade

ps. just received an email from my insurer (Bennetts) nothing related to the claim, but I could get a great deal on tickets to the British Superbikes :crazy:

Last edited:
Glad your doing OK mate, it can be real nasty.

I was taken off of my GSXR1000 a few year's back, wearing leathers on top but only jean's on the bottom.

Was a very similar situation actually somebody turned into my path and i got up close and personal with the wing and a-pillar, wiped out a collar bone but it could have been worse.

I hope you get it all sorted ASAP.

Thank goodness you are relatively okay. Are you perfectly happy that you are not injured?? Shock is not a pleasant experience and the best remedy is to talk it out of the system and hopefully try to laugh it off!

The fact the other driver failed to admit liability is irrelevant. The most important issue is they accept you were on main road (had right of way) and they failed to see you when they pulled out from a minor road.

The most important thing is you have independant witnesses. Well done and well done to them for coming forward. There are numerous\hundreds of accident advisory services out there that will be like vultures if you contact them. :eek: :eek: ;) To be fair they will be extremely supportive and look after your best interests.

I'm afraid we are all vunerable when riding a bike and being right is no comfort if we present ourselves at the Pearly Gates. I have my own thoughts regarding married men with young families that ride motorbikes (Is that you?):eek: :eek: :)

Please take care and thank goodness you are relatively unscathed. Oh and top marks for wearing the right clothing.

Yours sincerely
A very relieved John

Thank goodness you are relatively okay. Are you perfectly happy that you are not injured?? Shock is not a pleasant experience and the best remedy is to talk it out of the system and hopefully try to laugh it off!

The fact the other driver failed to admit liability is irrelevant. The most important issue is they accept you were on main road (had right of way) and they failed to see you when they pulled out from a minor road.

The most important thing is you have independant witnesses. Well done and well done to them for coming forward. There are numerous\hundreds of accident advisory services out there that will be like vultures if you contact them. :eek: :eek: ;) To be fair they will be extremely supportive and look after your best interests.

I'm afraid we are all vunerable when riding a bike and being right is no comfort if we present ourselves at the Pearly Gates. I have my own thoughts regarding married men with young families that ride motorbikes (Is that you?):eek: :eek: :)

Please take care and thank goodness you are relatively unscathed. Oh and top marks for wearing the right clothing.

Yours sincerely
A very relieved John

Yes I am married with a 6 month old son, and at the moment I am having various thoughts on zipping round London on two wheels.

My current logic is its almost a statistical inevitability that you have a coming together on a bike in the city at some point - and if that was my 'statistical event' then I'll gladly take it, having ridden around relatively unscathed for over 5 years and 36k miles.

As a general approach to life, I try not to get encumbered by too many 'what if' scenarios - will see how I feel tomorrow.

Right now I just want my bike back on the road so I can get to my various meetings this week - which is a rather short term perspective....:eek:

Ade (about to refamiliarise myself with public transport).

Last edited:
Bad news on the accident, good news on your lack of injuries.

I was thinking on the way home, must get the bike booked in for its MOT and get back on 2 wheels.

Hope everything gets sorted to your satisfaction insurance wise.

Best of luck, and glad that you are okay so far, just wait for the aches and pains to set in.

At least Pammy has offered you a nice warm bath before bed. :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Glad you're ok.

Just sold my K1200RS because of the risk factor.To my body and my licence.

Must admit I miss it and am beginning to think about buying another bike.

Have done a few track days on bikes and think they're safer than riding on the road. If / when you come off you generally only slide along, not too much chance of serious damage. Different matter on the road where there are all sorts of hard objects to bump into.

Glad you are OK Ade - Scary stuff. I used to commute into London daily on my Ducati but a few near misses made me think twice and I sold my bike and have not bought another since. Main reason being that I am self employed and don't get paid if I'm not working. With a family to support I thought it was the best thing for me not to ride at all.

I will buy another bike one day but not for commuting.

I left a message with Brixton police - I didn't report it at the time as I was more concerned with cancelling meetings and getting the bike started :rolleyes: Had I wound up in A&E it may have been different.

True. I don't think they would've started your bike for you..

Good to hear you're Ok..ish..

You've got 24hrs to report the accident and any injury.

Have done a few track days on bikes and think they're safer than riding on the road. If / when you come off you generally only slide along, not too much chance of serious damage. Different matter on the road where there are all sorts of hard objects to bump into.
Had a track bike (Race prepped R6) for 2 seasons with my brother and ragged it round various circuits round the UK and one in France - best fun I've had wearing clothes. Had a small off at Brands and a bigger one at Lydden, but my brother aced me by highsiding spectacularly, knocking himself out and getting banned from going near a motorbike again by his wife.. A flat move for me left me nowhere to store the bike so I sold it to a club racer up in the North East.. Overall the experience stopped me riding like a loon on the road.

I am self employed and don't get paid if I'm not working. With a family to support I thought it was the best thing for me not to ride at all.
Exactly my situation, and when my brain settles, I might have a quiet word with myself... quitting whilst ahead has a certain appeal..

You've got 24hrs to report the accident and any injury.
I emailed them following my telephone message.. it seems you either call 999 or speak to the answerphone.. By a twist of fate, one of the reasons I was actually obeying the limit today was an abundance of police vehicles whizzing about South London. It seems I have also tweaked my right hip and shoulder as well as my knee..

At least Pammy has offered you a nice warm bath before bed.
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
Well I'm stiffening up nicely at the moment - and I've never even met Pammy ;)

Thanks for the posts.

Ade

Ade,

i had a little off on the bike a few years ago. No-one else involved just me being a tit and a bit like you I jumped up and carried on with my day. only after the adrenaline had faded did i start feeling stiff and sore. the mrs encouraged me down to A and E and they were brilliant. i had a range of simple tests that assured them and me that i was going to make a full recovery and then i was packed off home with some proper 'horse' tranquilizers. all in all i was in a and e for about 2 hours but it was well worth it.

top tip go as early in the morning as you can bear and explain the situation.its good for peace of mind and the drugs they can get access to:cool:

glad to hear you are okay.

Ade,

i had a little off on the bike a few years ago. No-one else involved just me being a tit and a bit like you I jumped up and carried on with my day. only after the adrenaline had faded did i start feeling stiff and sore. .

That reminds me of a freind who stuffed his bike into a solid railway bridge one night years ago.
A Lotus had to come to a sharp stop to avoid running him over.
They left his bike at a shop next to the bridge and the Lotus driver offered him a lift home.
When he got in my friend said 'I bet this shifts a bit'. The Lotus driver was not too amused.

He went to hospital next day when he couldn't get his arm out of his PJ's due to it being broken.....:crazy:

Ade
Feel the pain......

Leg swelling nicely, but I think that will be the worse of it.

Ade

Wait till morning ..... ;)

When you've been lying prone for a bit , and everything has calmed down ...

I sound like the prophet of doom ... :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom