Leasing - the way forward??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A guy (nick mercedes) walks into a pub...

Standing at the bar a lady orders a pint of lager
Nick - "you don't like lager do you? I drink wine it's so much better"

I like lager.

I don't think you can lease it though.

Americans seem to be able to be fired from a job for any reason with little recourse?

Job mobility in the States is very high. People move from one State to another while following their career. It is relatively easier to find re-employment if you are willing to relocate to where the jobs are.

The mentality is Europe and the UK is different, of course some people do relocate which is why the South East attracts so many people, but by and large people tend to stay where they are and wait for the jobs to come to them.

This is in part why we have entire towns with high unemployment, e.g. following the collapse of a local factory etc.

In part it is also to do with the very minimal social safety net in the US which provides very little cover for the unemployed and forces them to take more extreme measures to find employment or risk poverty.

J

This is in part why we have entire towns with high unemployment, e.g. following the collapse of a local factory etc.

Surely it's better to provide new jobs in employment blackspots rather than just tell people to move south?

If you lived in a town in the north of England or in the Welsh Valleys, you'd not be able to afford to move to London to get work, the cost of housing is too high.

There seems an attitude with people from London to write off the rest of the UK as waste of time and space?

Surely it's better to provide new jobs in employment blackspots rather than just tell people to move south?

If you lived in a town in the north of England or in the Welsh Valleys, you'd not be able to afford to move to London to get work, the cost of housing is too high.

There seems an attitude with people from London to write off the rest of the UK as waste of time and space?

You are looking at this from the point of view of the government, and yes you are correct jobs should be distributed across the whole of the UK.

But from the workers' point of view, it is what it is.... what the government should or should not have done is generally beyond the workers' control (other than by voting come elections time).

In a market where local jobs can't be found, regardless of who's fault it is, employees who are willing to travel to find a job will always fair better than those who won't.

As or London... firstly job mobility is not just going South, it is generally being willing to go another part of the country wherever that may be.

But going back to London - generally wages are higher here than elsewhere, and the cost of living is equally higher, thus workers end-up earning more and spending more but generally not much better or worse off than elsewhere.

There is of course a particular issue with people on minimum wage, because minimum wage is the same across the UK (unlike Living Wage), anyone living in London will be worse off compared to someone living elsewhere in the UK and earning the same.

But the issue of minimum wage is misleading. If it is stepping stone - the first rung of the letter - that people need to go through before they gain skills and experience and earn higher salaries than this is fine. The issue is with those workers who are unable to progress beyond basic-skills jobs due to not having the opportunity to train, learn, and develop. But I digress....

Last edited:
I think leasing is great if you want a new car every 3 or so years. If you worked out the deposit+per month payments. Added together. I think it would be less than buying a car cash, then selling it after 3 years. Therefor cheaper to lease.

However, if you're going to spec a car up and keep it until the wheels fall off its going to be less money spent per year overall.

My lease is £2850 deposit. £316 per month over 2 years. 10,000 mile pa. non maintenance.

Car is C250d estate AMG Line premium in Brillant blue. £10,118 in total. I'm sure the car would loose more than that in deprecation in 2 years.

Certainly not cheap @ £421 pm but cheaper way to drive a new model car.

Let's face it, we all have a very expensive addiction. If we were sensible we'd be driving cars worth 2k and putting £400+ away in the bank or investments for our future.

Ant

Ok. Here's a little challenge for the clever ones out there that seem to be against car leasing.

Look at the above figures, term, and car spec. Can anyone come up with a way that I can enjoy that car for 2 years for less than £10,118? (Keep it legal)

Surely it's proof that for the car I want, and duration I want it for leasing 'is the way forward' :bannana:

Btw Happy Friday Everyone. :D

Ant

Ok. Here's a little challenge for the clever ones out there that seem to be against car leasing.

Look at the above figures, term, and car spec. Can anyone come up with a way that I can enjoy that car for 2 years for less than £10,118? (Keep it legal)

Surely it's proof that for the car I want, and duration I want it for leasing 'is the way forward' :bannana:

Btw Happy Friday Everyone. :D

Ant

Just spend £10k on a 3 year old one.

Problem solved.

Or do what people used to do and save up for a new one.

All these cheepo deals are doomed when interest rates rise, then what?

Just spend £10k on a 3 year old one.

Problem solved.

Or do what people used to do and save up for a new one.

All these cheepo deals are doomed when interest rates rise, then what?

Hehe. Then you have failed the challenge. I didn't want a 3 year old car. I want the new one.

And you're still missing the point. If I had £40,000 (which I don't) and bought the car above. Then sold it after 2 years. It'd cost more than £10,118

I resent being made to feel in the wrong because I'm leasing. In my case it IS cheaper. The figures don't lie.

If and when the interest rates go up and deals are no longer the cheaper way then maybe I'll do it another way.

Yikes, this is strange.

Ant

And you're still missing the point. If I had £40,000 (which I don't) and bought the car above. Then sold it after 2 years. It'd cost more than £10,118

The solution to that problem is not switching cars every 2 years.

We can all pretend that leasing/pcp etc is cheap motoring, but in reality you get to part with £10k and in 24 months have nothing to show for it, other than the nause of having to look after someone else's car.

Dangerous question. I'll bite. But you may not like the answer.

Personally I wouldn't drop £10K on a C class for 2 years.

I'd be looking at other options - an E or something else.

Hehe. Then you have failed the challenge. I didn't want a 3 year old car. I want the new one.

I resent being made to feel in the wrong because I'm leasing. In my case it IS cheaper. The figures don't lie.

If and when the interest rates go up and deals are no longer the cheaper way then maybe I'll do it another way.

Yikes, this is strange.

Ant

The problem is not what you want to do...but that you are having the conversation on here...and the same detractors have popped up as the rest of us would have expected.

There is no doubt that iof you want to change your car every 2 years leasing will be cheaper than buying...because of the depreciation.

Just do what you want and don't mind what anybody else says.

There's never any popcorn around when you need it for a Friday on the forum!

The problem is not what you want to do...but that you are having the conversation on here...and the same detractors have popped up as the rest of us would have expected.

There is no doubt that iof you want to change your car every 2 years leasing will be cheaper than buying...because of the depreciation.

Just do what you want and don't mind what anybody else says.

There's never any popcorn around when you need it for a Friday on the forum!

Well, you could always rent some lager, I am!

The solution to that problem is not switching cars every 2 years.

We can all pretend that leasing/pcp etc is cheap motoring, but in reality you get to part with £10k and in 24 months have nothing to show for it, other than the nause of having to look after someone else's car.

1. I never said it was cheap motoring.
2. I never asked for a solution to any problem.
3. Anyone fancy a beer? :wallbash:

Ant

Dangerous question. I'll bite. But you may not like the answer.

Personally I wouldn't drop £10K on a C class for 2 years.

I'd be looking at other options - an E or something else.

OMG. IS ANYBODY HOME???

Why even mention an E Class when I want a C Class. :dk:

Let's talk about the high price of apples so you can suggest I buy some bananas

Yikes.

I said "you may not like the answer."

I'm quite inuitive at times. :doh:

Come on, let's just have a beer. 'Clink' :D

I'm beaten, well beaten. Can we talk about something else.

Ant

Just enjoy the car when you get it and put the nightmare of this thread behind you.

Thanks Dryce.

I was going to post some pics of it but too scared now because I'm not a worthy MB OWNER. :(

Hehehe. Never mind. I'll learn to not get involved next time and just read posts.

Take it easy.

Ant

HID conversion?

I'd love to, but I'm a joiner so the conversation maybe more down to you.

Now a loft conversion.....................:bannana:

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom