Lexus Long Shot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
This is a bit of a long shot but I'm forever being surprised with what folks here come up with.

Problem. The RX sat nav doesn't have a clue where it is, often telling me I'm not in the county I am in. I've tackled the inch thick user manual which was written in Japanese by a twelve year old and translated into English by an illiterate. :wallbash: Not helpful.

I have a feeling that a reboot might help but I was wondering if there's a a way of doing this other than disconnecting the battery. Other than that I don't really have a clue what to do with it other than a very expensive trip to the main dealer, so if anybody has any ideas.............

Many thanks.

A full recalibration is required if it doesn't know where you are.

I've had similar issues on my RX and GS in the past. In the end it had to go back to the dealer as nothing I tried worked. These complicated, but primitive (by today's standards) systems take in info. from wheel sensors, compass etc. and compute to work out where in the world you are if it can't get a GPS signal I was told. Even required a trip back to the dealer after new tyres were fitted due to the difference in rolling circumference confusing the system.

Personally I'd use a stand-alone unit, whether a Tom Tom or smartphone.

Join the Lexus forum:devil:

A full recalibration is required if it doesn't know where you are.

I've had similar issues on my RX and GS in the past. In the end it had to go back to the dealer as nothing I tried worked. These complicated, but primitive (by today's standards) systems take in info. from wheel sensors, compass etc. and compute to work out where in the world you are if it can't get a GPS signal I was told. Even required a trip back to the dealer after new tyres were fitted due to the difference in rolling circumference confusing the system.

Personally I'd use a stand-alone unit, whether a Tom Tom or smartphone.

I've a horrid feeling you may well be right. Although it's a 54 reg it's newer than my seriously ancient Tom Tom which I use it in. My GS is a late 2000 model and the sat nav on that is fine, as good as Tom Tom in fact.

I feel a walletectomy coming on.....

When that happens on a Mercedes its either the GPS antenna gone kaput or the CD/DVD not reading correctly.

Dont waste your money on buying a new antenna from lexus, find out what type of connection it is and buy one off ebay to test the fault.

Is there a menu where you can see how many satellites it has found? If it's zero then it's very likely the antenna is at fault.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've checked the DVD and it seems unscathed, any idea how I get to the aerial, is it a pull out the screen job?
Nothing on the screen to indicate number of satellites.
Pull what fuse?
Yours from the Shetlands............

If you would really like to try to a full reset, locate the fuse in fusebox which powers satnav and remove it - check your handbook as it has been a few years since I did it.

Might also be wise to disconnect the -ve battery terminal just in case before proceeding, but disconnecting the battery alone does not reset the ecu.

Locate the satnav ecu in the boot, it's a metal case - not the player. I'm sure it's in the spare wheel well, but try the side panel as well on the RX.

Unplug all the connectors and remove it, just two screws as it is easier to work on a bench. Open up the unit, half a dozen or so screws and the lid should pop off. You should be faced with a pair of circuit boards. Remove them and the ribbon cables. Let them sit for half an hour to power down and do all the above in reverse.

No guarantees, but good luck.

BTW have you tried update discs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom