Locked out of car, no spare key.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I understand now. I thought the guy could go in over the top of the door frame (weakest point).
Usually , they use plastic wedges ( hammered in ) to open up a small gap and access the inner door handles etc , but it is still hit and miss .

Unless OP needed the car for work, I’d still have gone with my suggestion of ordering a key from the dealer ; he is already £65 into the cost of a new key , and if the locksmith does any damage at all ...

I

Ive done a few over the years with wires and the older the car the easier it was but with most newer cars the lock pin fits flush to the door, so the handle is the next best option but trying to recover keys would be an almost impossible task.
As far back as W124 the lock pins are flush to the door caps . Last model you could possibly do that with was W123

The guy that came to sort mine said that if he could reach the key he'd usually just press the unlock button, but I didn't want him levering the SL boot ajar, possibly causing untold damage to the folding mechanism, so I plumped for the locksmith. Your price is a lot better than the £180 I had to pay!

Reactions: 219
The guy that came to sort mine said that if he could reach the key he'd usually just press the unlock button, but I didn't want him levering the SL boot ajar, possibly causing untold damage to the folding mechanism, so I plumped for the locksmith. Your price is a lot better than the £180 I had to pay!
Even £180 is most of the way to the cost of a new key from the dealership.

You only need to order the key blade, not the whole electronic remote fob to gain access. A lot cheaper than the usual ~ £300 for a whole key :thumb:

Usually , they use plastic wedges ( hammered in ) to open up a small gap and access the inner door handles etc , but it is still hit and miss .

Unless OP needed the car for work, I’d still have gone with my suggestion of ordering a key from the dealer ; he is already £65 into the cost of a new key , and if the locksmith does any damage at all ...
The AA used wedges on his daughters car. He inserted them at the top of the doorframe and fished the keys off the floor and it was job done.
Obviously the OP had a different scenario but I’d have thought the technician would’ve put in some more effort.

Even £180 is most of the way to the cost of a new key from the dealership.
True, but, I was 200 miles from home, on a road trip with a load of mates and my house keys were on the bunch too.

The locksmith arrived this morning. He was in in thirty seconds, he used what looked like a Swiss army knife
with multi small blades to insert into the lock to lift the "tumblers" if thats the right word.
We are up and running, thanks to everybody for the helpful posts. john.

Makes you wonder why we bother with fancy alarms and the such when the locks can be picked so easily..

I remember using tennis ball to open the boot on a fiesta...

Sweet.
Didn’t a couple of members here mention breaking some glass??

dmeu_fire20_1_std.lang.all.jpg

£65+VAT for 30 seconds work, if this was a MB main dealer people would be complaining ;)

Good result though, could have been worse! :)

£65+VAT for 30 seconds work, if this was a MB main dealer people would be complaining ;)

Good result though, could have been worse! :)

Plus, he had to get to you, then get back home... ;)

Of course, it was tongue in cheek :thumb:

FWIW, I think you get key cover/Mobilo for stuff like this with MB approved used, no use to the OP but worth checking for other members who might find themselves in a similar predicament :cool:

Of course, it was tongue in cheek :thumb:

FWIW, I think you get key cover/Mobilo for stuff like this with MB approved used, no use to the OP but worth checking for other members who might find themselves in a similar predicament :cool:
It happened to me in my R230 SL. Whilst talking to someone, I unlocked just the boot and put my coat inside after chatting for a while, by which time I'd put the key in the jacket pocket. I had the key to another car in my trouser pocket (I checked before I shut the boot), but got them mixed up. In a panic, 200 miles from home, and with the roof down, I phoned my main dealer to see if there were any tips/tricks they could suggest.

As it was, I was eligible for mobilo life, and they sent someone out to me. He initially tried to pick the lock, but gave up partly because of the awkward angle of the key barrel and partly because of the audience we were getting at what was a car show! He then opened the door, setting the alarm off, and let his laptop do the work.

@fifthwheel Glad you're sorted!

The guy from Green Flag said they get this happening all the time when drivers use the boot button when the car is locked. He said he couldn't understand why there was such a function. If all the doors unlocked when the boot button was pressed this couldnt happen.

If all the doors unlocked when the boot button was pressed this couldnt happen.

The irony is it's meant to be a convenience feature which means you can leave the car locked, I assume to relax the whole close down procedure. The problem is that the boot then self locks as soon as it is shut!

The irony is it's meant to be a convenience feature which means you can leave the car locked, I assume to relax the whole close down procedure. The problem is that the boot then self locks as soon as it is shut!

I thought MB's had a boot fob for the likes of hotel porters to get yer bags, and not yer Ray Bans

I thought MB's had a boot fob for the likes of hotel porters to get yer bags, and not yer Ray Bans
On the same key though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom