Locked out of car, no spare key.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the same key though.

Aye, it is on my Vito, but don't some have a separate fob, when supplied new?

Good result. Now the question remains should you buy another key from MB for £240+ or risk it having locked again and what is the probability of doing that again. Oh $hit.

Reactions: 219
When a spare key is available worth considering is to put the blade key in your wallet, handbag, manbag or other place that is with you and not with your 1st key,
and site the fob within the car somewhere discreet.

On the consideration that sailing increases likelihood of my fob getting saturated or lost I've done similar.
Even if the fob goes flat it'll still start the car, but I keep a spare battery with it anyway.

Aye, it is on my Vito, but don't some have a separate fob, when supplied new?
Not sure on more modern vehicles. My R230 is 2008, one key fits all, but I have older 90s Mercs which have separate valet keys, not remotes, which will only unlock the boots.

Reactions: m80
Not sure on more modern vehicles. My R230 is 2008, one key fits all, but I have older 90s Mercs which have separate valet keys, not remotes, which will only unlock the boots.

It might be where I got the thought from,
but my possibly faulty memory seems to picture fobs for the same.

It might be where I got the thought from,
but my possibly faulty memory seems to picture fobs for the same.
You could be right. As I said, I only go up to 2008!

I’m not a locksmith but I’ve got a special key which can open many doors.

It’s got a lovely varnished wooden handle on it 😎

You only need to order the key blade, not the whole electronic remote fob to gain access. A lot cheaper than the usual ~ £300 for a whole key :thumb:
Last time I ordered them , the ‘dumb’ blade keys for my R129 were about £30 each .

It would get you in in an emergency, but ideally I’d imagine OP will want a proper spare key anyway .

Don’t think a blade on its own will start a newer car ? So if only working key is lost or broken he’d still be stuck

The risk of locking the key in the boot is one reason I don't use this convenience feature, I just press the fob and unlock the car

The locksmith arrived this morning. He was in in thirty seconds, he used what looked like a Swiss army knife
with multi small blades to insert into the lock to lift the "tumblers" if thats the right word.
We are up and running, thanks to everybody for the helpful posts. john.

A friend of mine is a locksmith. Unsurprisingly many of his colleagues have rather "colourful" pasts :)

The risk of locking the key in the boot is one reason I don't use this convenience feature, I just press the fob and unlock the car

I once locked my keys in the boot of my 1st C43 in a massive rush at Stanstead on the way to my honeymoon. THAT was fun when I got back....

It's been possible to do the same thing in my last 3 Merc's and I get nervous with the current one as I've never got round to getting a second key or blade.

99.9 times out of 100 I have the key in my pocket. But, once in a blue moon, I've locked the car, remembered I've left something in the boot, gone back, opened the boot and rummaged around with the key in my hand......

So easy to put it down and get distracted......

On my cars you got a set of four keys : two master keys which did everything; one valet key which would open and start the car , but would not open the glovebox or boot , both of which could be locked with the master key , and the emergency or skeleton key , designed to be kept in your wallet or other safe place ( you used to be able to get magnetic boxes to hide such a key in a secret place under the car ) .

I thought MB's had a boot fob for the likes of hotel porters to get yer bags, and not yer Ray Bans

Ray Bans ?

As a Mercedes owner , you should have Zeiss Umbraumatics .

Reactions: m80
My Zeiss UmbraMatics 🙂

Even after 45 years , I still like them .

205F5976-8F56-4DB6-9946-DAD9688B4EE9.jpeg7977E435-1577-43D8-9C0A-57747B762A2E.jpeg

Not that I would pay what this vendor is asking for a pair ! I know what Doc Brown would say .

Last edited:
Are they glass?

I have a pair of vintage American Optical pilot glasses from the seventies (which I bought new at the time... ), and I do like them, but I am weary of wearing glass spectacles while driving.

A friend of mine is a locksmith. Unsurprisingly many of his colleagues have rather "colourful" pasts :)
I know this comment was a long time ago. But I’ve lost both keys to my gle and I was wondering if you knew anyone who could help

Thanks for reading

Alex

I know this comment was a long time ago. But I’ve lost both keys to my gle and I was wondering if you knew anyone who could help

Thanks for reading

Alex
Google is your friend.

Google is your friend.

They’ve said my car is too new. The problem is, the car belonged to my stepdad

He’s moved to Spain and completely lost the v5c so main dealer can’t verify ownership of the car

Is there anyone here who can help. There must be a locksmith someone who can make 15-17 plate Mercedes keys

They’ve said my car is too new. The problem is, the car belonged to my stepdad

He’s moved to Spain and completely lost the v5c so main dealer can’t verify ownership of the car

Is there anyone here who can help. There must be a locksmith someone who can make 15-17 plate Mercedes keys

Mercedes won't release the software to clone new keys after 2015 . Only a mb dealer can do it. You'll need the vin from the windscreen and proof the car is at least yours.

Imagine that if dealers just issued keys to randoms for cars in excess of of 50k

Think common sense prevails here tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom