• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Long journey, advice and opinions needed to save mental breakdown

will9871

Car
W210 320CDI Avantgarde Estate
Hi all

I drive a 2001 W210 320CDI Estate, bought in Hungary as I live in Hungary and decided to give the car its first tour trip back to the UK to see what it can do, especially on die Autobahnen :rock:

However this plan was scuppered whilst as I was almost through Austria Engine Management light on, no power and diesel all over the road, smoky breakdown for me. Eventually discovered that diesel line into engine had come loose and disconnected. Mechanic reconnects this and makes sure by firmly attaching it with a tight plastic tie. He assures me this repair will hold for as long as I want to drive the car (had this confirmed by 3 trusted mechanics) but take it to a garage to check why it came off.

Breaking down on the Autobahn became my new biggest fear ever and the usual 10 hour haul accross Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and France flew by due to my obsessive new 'radar ears' listening for any signs at all of any malfunction as I am now extremely concerned about becoming stranded on my way back (made it to England :bannana:).

After giving the car a right long drive I am a little concerned about the gearbox, points for concern are:-

* At cruising speed (80-90 mph) engine seems to have a very slight 'stutter' feels like it hesitates for a split second before returning to normal. Rev counter duly slightly wobbles before returning to normal.

* After driving for a long period of time the autobox gear shifter metal feels noticeably warm.

* In England, the land of bloody traffic jams, after sitting in heavy traffic for most of the day the rev counter itself became very very jerky, seems to have reset itself after its nights rest. Changes from 1-2-3 seemed much jerkier than normal

* On start up, all dials that normally jump straight to attention, sometimes hesitated and jerked into position, when the car started like this power seemed very limited in the upper reaches, i.e. no/marginal response from accelerator at 2/3 to full when cruising at 85-90 and at 2500 rpm. Again seems only to occur when I notice the dials starting as described.

Car has 93k on the clock (probably more as was bought in Hungary, just the way it is out here), had the car inspected by friend who is a Merc Indie before purchase.

Really sorry for the long post but having to make the return journey solo and being stranded in the middle of Bayern late at night is a worrying prospect. Any opinions on any of the faults described before making the 1400 mile haul back to Budapest?

If its going to need a new Autobox, the car has already cost me a lot of money (on things I had identified as issues on purchase, glow plugs, cat converter and rear shocks, as the car was a very good price on purchase), I will just hope to get it back to Hungary and flog it.

Again sorry for the long winded post but, have been a complete bag of nerves mess since Salzburg, this constant feeling of worry about my beloved car (I really would be miffed to have to flog it) is really starting to affect me on long drives.

I'm not sure of what ails your car, but my first thought is - where has that diesel fuel got into when sloshing around in the engine bay? I think you may need to have a damn good clean up and check to see if any electrical connectors have been soaked in the stuff. If the contamination is fairly localised, then the job might not take very long.

I would check the gearbox connections thoroughly too.

The gearstick getting warm is nothing to worry about, by the way. That's the normal conduction of heat from the 'box. The 'box gets very hot, and the heat will conduct along the selector rods, but it takes a long time.

thanks for advice mate and yeah am arranging an Engine wash asap, had to drive at about 50 for 2 hours (a highly frustrating affair) to allow for as much diesel evaporation as possible. Glad it wasn't a petrol or it would have been a fiery death for me I believe.

Best get all the connectors checked and hope for the best, sorry if the gearbox hot thing was a silly question my mechanical knowledge of cars can generously be described as average.

No problem - hope it's soon sorted!

The problem with diesel is that it's an oil rather than a spirit, therefore it doesn't evaporate much, if at all. You have to clean it up!

Petrol would have actually been better, as it would have evaporated. Also it needs a source of ignition (spark,flame,etc) to fire up, so pouring onto a hot surface shouldn't cause it to flare up. Not that I recommend trying!!

No problem - hope it's soon sorted!

The problem with diesel is that it's an oil rather than a spirit, therefore it doesn't evaporate much, if at all. You have to clean it up!

Petrol would have actually been better, as it would have evaporated. Also it needs a source of ignition (spark,flame,etc) to fire up, so pouring onto a hot surface shouldn't cause it to flare up. Not that I recommend trying!!

There's an ignition temperature for petrol. Not wise to have it around hot exhausts etc

There's an ignition temperature for petrol. Not wise to have it around hot exhausts etc

yep, and it is a lot lower for deisel too.

a) Petrol 246°C
b) Diesel 210°C"

Last edited:
I remember this thing on telly years ago and they had a car with its bonnet up and the engine nice and hot and running they then threw some petrol on it nothing just steam, antifreeze whoomp flames and iirc the same with screenwash:eek:.

Lynall

Everything has a flashpoint though doesn't it ...:confused:

I saw on 'How it's Made' :rolleyes: how they harden hammers in the factory by dipping them in used engine oil when they are very hot ... the oil catches on fire from the heat , there are no sparks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom