• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

LWB Sprinter mixed symptoms. 350 miles away from home. Please help!!

smithannesarah

Car
Mercedes Sprinter lwb
Hey folks,

So, I've a Mercedes Sprinter lwb 2003, 2151cc, 3.5ton. It's a few odd symptoms that don't seem to make sense to me.

Bought in Sept / Oct 2016 - Power was low, replaced the glowplugs and had a reconditioned turbo fitted in Dec. New oil & filter. loads of power.

Drove 300 miles over the course of this last week. Only drive short runs in everyday life.

Driving on the motorway and heard a click in what sounded like the passenger side of the engine, EDC light came on, engine cut out. Drifted to the side, tried to re-start but nothing. Turn the key and various lights on the dash, including the EDC.

Called the AA, taken to a services to check it out, guy who towed us (sub contractor) took one/two minutes to decide it was the alternator. No power in the battery. Battery hasn't been great lately either; jump started quite often...

Recovered on 24th in the evening, come to the van today (26th) after taking out the battery to charge it, and it started as normal.
Drove it for 10 mins, everything normal except a bit of a knocking sound (not the same as we heard on the motorway before breaking down)
slight knocking when revved, not excessive, sounded like something quite light. Drove for ten minutes as I said, but during that time the sound got worse.

There is also a sound, which we've noticed for the past month or two - sounds like air pressure, on the drivers side in the engine bay. Sounds like air pressure, which when we first heard it, squeezed a coolant pipe by the radiator and it stopped. Doesn't do that now. when we undo the rad cap and release pressure, the sound continues.

Alterntor readings:

14.5v 30 seconds after starting.
13 amps initially which drops as battery recharges.
amperage jumps up and down in response to turning on lights/blower etc. seems to work as expected.

I will be purchasing new battery in the next few days.

Any advice or leads appreciated, in the Lake District, 300 miles away from home, lovely as it is I don't have the confidence to drive back to Devon anytime soon!

Thanks for taking time out to read!

Sarah.x

:bannana::wallbash::thumb:

I wonder if you have two separate problems. One with charging the battery, and another with the loss of power and ”air pressure sound"?

A 2003 Sprinter (like my 2002 Sprinter) controls the turbo pressure by vacuum. If the vacuum pipes are split or leak, you'll get poor pressure - and maybe a sucking sound?

Such a problem can be intermittent, as the same vacuum system also powers the movement of the ventilation distribution/recirc flaps. If the leak is in that section, you only get the problem in certain positions of vent controls.

Just a thought!

Thank you for responding.
The brakes do feel softer, what are your thoughts on that?
I'm not that mechanical but I take it the vacuum hose will be quite thin rubber?
I'm going to start it again in the morning and have a look at it..
Any other suggestions appreciated too! x

My reason for asking about the brakes was that the "Knocking/ticking" may have been the Vacuum pump on it was going out.. but if you are getting a softer pedal then there's vacuum to power the brake servo hence soft pedal...

Can you post a video from cold of the engine starting/running and try and focus on the sounds and where you think they may be coming from..

https://vimeo.com/197185888

Hope the video works.
Moved the van from where it was recovered to, round the corner to the road, couldn't get it out of first without it clunking out and pouring white smoke.
AA mechanic checked the turbo for the white smoke, turbo is fine, he says the noise (which got worse from moving from the car park to the AA chap hearing it) is from the top end of the engine, it could be anything, unknown until its opened up.
Phoning back to be recovered back to Devon from the Lakes in the next week or so.
What are your thoughts?
I really appreciate your time and input, thankyou.

Best we could do with the video, don't want to start it up again in fear of it causing more damage. Video catches the air pressure / hissing sound. Unrelated to the engine clacking. Hope this is making sense to someone 'cause it's past me!

Unsure on the fuel filter to be honest. No idea.

Its easy to get at- you can see it on top of the engine in the video. Would not cost much to change if that's the problem? - any local garage used to dealing with commercial diesels could do it- may require a bit of bleeding after installation mind.

Last edited:
Its easy to get at- you can see it on top of the engine in the video. Would not cost much to change if that's the problem? - any local garage used to dealing with commercial diesels could do it- may require a bit of bleeding after installation mind.
Thankyou..
Local garages can't fit in around our plans up here, so it is going to have to be a tow home to Devon garage job. That's alright. Really hoping it's nothing too huge. Even worse because the van is my full time home!

I'm leaning to this too ..a good place to start cause if its choked the it will give of white smoke and be hard to start..

Is it loosing water by any chance??

I'm not sure if its got a low pressure pump but it may be that that has gone.. again same symptoms as above hard to start, white smoke (shortage of fuel)..

Low Pressure Fuel Pump - Mercedes Sprinter Surging Engine
Thanks for these links, will pass these onto my partner there above me. its not loosing wate as far as I can see..
Thanks for your input.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom