Map updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All I say is bring it on. at the end of the day I’m happy that’s all that counts [emoji108][emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes very he will give u instructions but all u do is turn on ignition not turn over. Put SD card in then it will ask you for the code put that in bingo around a hour

So did you not have the engine running then?
Surely COMMAND will just turn off after about 20 mins

When ur updating command knows so it won’t turn off mine didn’t till it finished the update then I turned it off then turn med on and bingo.

I have always updated the maps (from DVD or from USB media) while driving normally.

When you park-up and switch off the engine, the maps update stops. When you resume driving, the maps update continues from where it stopped before.

Obviously you can't use the Navigation until the update is complete, but you can listen to radio or make phone calls.

Dealers would usually hook-up the battery to a trickle charger when updating the maps, i.e. they won't have the car standing in the workshop with the engine idling for one or two hours etc.

I have always updated the maps (from DVD or from USB media) while driving normally.

When you park-up and switch off the engine, the maps update stops. When you resume driving, the maps update continues from where it stopped before.

Obviously you can't use the Navigation until the update is complete, but you can listen to radio or make phone calls.

Dealers would usually hook-up the battery to a trickle charger when updating the maps, i.e. they won't have the car standing in the workshop with the engine idling for one or two hours etc.
Yes agree. clever command system

I see. How many times have you updated maps then. Presume the starting/stopping doesn't confuse it and cause problems?

Presume having COMMAND running with the engine off for 60-90 minutes doesn't drain the battery too much?

I see. How many times have you updated maps then. Presume the starting/stopping doesn't confuse it and cause problems?

Presume having COMMAND running with the engine off for 60-90 minutes doesn't drain the battery too much?
I had COMAND NTG2.5 in my W203 since 2010... then NTG4.5 in the W204 since 2017... so you could say I've done this a few times :)

It use to take 2-3 hours to complete from DVD, now it takes around one hour from USB.

If you do not run the engine, and do not trickle charge the battery, you will get a warning message on the dash when the battery voltage start dropping (after 15-20 minutes), and eventually COMAND will switch itself off.

Your options are to either keep the engine idling, or trickle-charge the battery, or drive the car notmally.

I had COMAND NTG2.5 in my W203 since 2010... then NTG4.5 in the W204 since 2017... so you could say I've done this a few times :)

It use to take 2-3 hours to complete from DVD, now it takes around one hour from USB.

If you do not run the engine, and do not trickle charge the battery, you will get a warning message on the dash when the battery voltage start dropping (after 15-20 minutes), and eventually COMAND will switch itself off.

Your options are to either keep the engine idling, or trickle-charge the battery, or drive the car notmally.

To be honest I can’t remember exactly but I’m sure the engine wasn’t on when updating mine took just under a hour

Thanks
I updated the maps in my old C63(2010 car), but I'm sure Mercedes told me that I could not drive the car while the maps were updating, otherwise it'd just stop.
Sounds like that was a load old of nonsense then

and yes maybe ur right on that [emoji120][emoji120]

Thank you markjay and crewie for the info. Sounds like start the update then wash the car with ignition on/not started. Then go for a bit of a drive until it's done if it's only about one hour.

drive the car notmally.
This was the chosen option, took just under an hour in total I'd say.
I started the update and drove the car to work yesterday morning. Parked it up for 10 hours and then it finished the update on my way home.

Is it better or the same and have u still got live traffic

Is it better or the same and have u still got live traffic
I don't know if its better yet, but I will know later as there is somewhere I have to go that has a new road which the previous maps knew nothing about.
Definitely still have live traffic, and my subscription is valid until April 2020

The TomTom Live Traffic subscription is independent of the maps update on NTG4.5/4.7 (unlike Audio20 with Garmin Map Pilot).

If the car had a valid subscription before, it should still work, regardless of any maps update.

How do u know how long have u got till the traffic subscription ends

I’ll have to check only had the car from last August.
Thanks

On my car there is an option under the traffic section called subscription information

This is correct, but it only applies to cars that have the TomTom Live Traffic feature (fitted to MB cars from mid-2013 onwards).

If the car has only the basic TMC traffic service, then this is a free service (in the UK) and it never expires, and in this case there will be no 'Subscription information' option in the COMAND menu.

This is correct, but it only applies to cars that have the TomTom Live Traffic feature (fitted to MB cars from mid-2013 onwards).

If the car has only the basic TMC traffic service, then this is a free service (in the UK) and it never expires, and in this case there will be no 'Subscription information' option in the COMAND menu.
Ah ha. This makes sense then, as my old C63 had this free service

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom