Merc SLK 200 Brake 'Binding'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damyers

Car
55 reg SLK 55 AMG
Hi

I have a very frustrating problem with my 5 month old SLK (new model).

When I am not using the car for anything over a week the brakes 'bind' and when I move away there is a loud 'bang' where they release and it warps the brake disks.

This has been back to two seperate dealers on the two occasions it has occured...

The first just replaced the Brake Disks (not the pads!!)

The car is currently with the second dealer and they are at least looking at cause rather than affect.

Their initial thinking was that it was the handbrake pads (inside the rear disks) that were binding but having checked it they are convinced it is the standard pads that are binding (they can see the imprint).

They are pretty confused by this (a rust build up is innevitable but it should not bind) and the latest theory they have come up with is that the brake pads have taken in moisture which is causing them to bind with the disk.

I am not so sure about this theory (ok time will tell!) since surely the standard pads / disk should not be touching the brake disk when stationary - only the handbrake pads on the inside?

Could this be some kind of a back pressure problem where the brakes are slowly 'coming on' after a period of time?

Has anyone had anything like this before?

Any help appreciated!

PS. Apart from that and the car getting 'wrecked' in a Car wash in Leeds tis great :)

Cheers

Dave

damyers said:
I am not so sure about this theory (ok time will tell!) since surely the standard pads / disk should not be touching the brake disk when stationary - only the handbrake pads on the inside?

Could this be some kind of a back pressure problem where the brakes are slowly 'coming on' after a period of time?

Has anyone had anything like this before?

Any help appreciated!

PS. Apart from that and the car getting 'wrecked' in a Car wash in Leeds tis great :)

Cheers

Dave

The pads are always in contact with the discs, even when stationary. But there should not be any great pressure on the pads. It is more likely the caliper sticking on and causing this.

By the way what is the car wash story. We are all against putting our cars through a washer because of the effect it has on the paint, swirls etc. Particularily not recommended on new cars. :crazy:

The Car Wash Story
--------------------
_______
/0 0

wheels positioned correctly in car park as above - wheel brushes in respect to wheels as below....

0 0
^ ^

End result - car crumpled from each side at front ending with brushes actualy underneath the car - suprisingly strong arms on the wheel brushes!!!

All sorted now tho' and Esso paid the costs but i certainly wont be using a car wash again!

R.

Dave

damyers said:
The Car Wash Story
--------------------
_______
/0 0

wheels positioned correctly in car park as above - wheel brushes in respect to wheels as below....

0 0
^ ^

End result - car crumpled from each side at front ending with brushes actualy underneath the car - suprisingly strong arms on the wheel brushes!!!

All sorted now tho' and Esso paid the costs but i certainly wont be using a car wash again!

R.

Dave

Another reason not to use them then. :devil:

Pads binding to the discs if parked at all wet is inevitable. Surprising that this is warping the disks.

Is the car going through any water before being parked up?

Dieselman - it isnt going through any water especialy although the weather hasnt been great!- I would expect to get rusted brake disks and to get 'grinding' for a few miles after leaving it for some time and I could accept the brake pads binding but the action of 'unbinding them' (i.e. moving off) is doing the warping so they are obviously not just bound on but practicaly welded!

I have the car back now with replaced disks (as the last time) - they told me that when they looked at the rear brake pads they were 'pitted' and their theory is that because of this more moisture was being trapped and creating more of a bond (it seems the last time it happened the other garage only changed the disks and not the pads so it could have been the cause in the first place).

We will wait and see now - problem is it only happens when the car is left for a good amount of time without driving so I might not know for a while.

On the bright side I have now tried 2 MB dealers and the second one seems pretty on the ball - they have said that if it happens again to bring it straight back - they can then rule out the pads and look at other angles - the first garage just changed the warped Brake Disks and didnt even look for the cause!

Cheers all

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom