• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Microsoft Anti Spyware beta

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Anybody tried this yet? If so any conflicts with SpyBot or AdAware?

I've read quite a bit about it but haven't tried it myself. TBH I'm happy with Ad-Aware & Spybot co-existing on my system, I can't see what else M$ would be bringing to the party.

S.

Satch said:
Anybody tried this yet? If so any conflicts with SpyBot or AdAware?

Weird or what? My son is stood by my side telling me how good this new software is. He has both SpyBot and Adware installed and this program is better. It does check to make sure you have a genuine copy of WindowsXP.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
It does check to make sure you have a genuine copy of WindowsXP.

Regards,
John

I guess thats one flaw found so far.... ;)

I have been trying it today and so far it looks good. No conflicts with AdAware and I don't have SpyBot so can't say.
It found nothing on my PC but it did find two "spies" on my colleagues PC that AdAware had not reported. However it did not report 30 cookies that AdAware reports (not a problem though).

Number one son has installed it on my computer and all is well........ So far ;)

John

Where can i get a copy ? or is it a free download
Thanks

plgibson said:
Where can i get a copy ? or is it a free download
Thanks

There's a link on Microsoft's home page, and yes it is free.

John

I heard it was out of beta today.... A possible subscription fee though.....?

I've got this installed ... along with SpyBot and Ad-Aware (Paranoid? Moi? :D ) and it is very slick (MS bought the company that produced it, article in this week's Computing).

SpyNet? SkyNet? Should we be worried? ;)

Steve_Perry said:
I've read quite a bit about it but haven't tried it myself. TBH I'm happy with Ad-Aware & Spybot co-existing on my system, I can't see what else M$ would be bringing to the party.

S.
I take it all back :o I installed it tonight and I must say that I am pretty impressed. It picked up on two items that both Ad-Aware and Spybot failed to spot. Just a shame that the beta 1 version is programmed to expire on 31-Jul-05. :( Oh well it's good for the moment. :)

S.

P.S. No conflicts with either Ad-Aware or Spybot so it stays, hurah! :p

I didn't like the "I want to snoop your windows for validity" business. :grr:

scotth_uk said:
I didn't like the "I want to snoop your windows for validity" business. :grr:

I don't have a problem with that - I wish they'd really clamp down on software pirates and if they found dodgy versions disable them somehow. I'm sure Microsoft (or any other manufacturer) are somehow able to detect whether or not your software is genuine with or without your knowledge.

In it's defence this app didn't insist on checking the validity in order to install or download it just offered those who did faster and better downloads and at the end of the day why shouldn't those of us daft enough to pay for our software get a few perks? :)

What I find interesting is that if you run spybot after installing and running the Microsoft app you find a few additional "spyware" components including the active X controls which you've just installed - strangely enough Microsofts checker didn't pick up on that, nor the eBay toolbar which contains tracking info and whilst reporting log files from Real Player it chose to ignore the Windows media player history which has been viewed with suspicion for some time now.

Maybe I'm being suspicious but I would urge caution using and relying on a spyware detection utility being provided by one of the companies that is constantly bombarding our machines with cookies :)

Andy

Andy

I put it on earlier today and it seems very good. Picked up stuff both Adaware and Spybot didn't - and I also got a warning pop up when something nsty tried to load - which you don't get with the other two.

It unonstalled Kazaa :crazy: good job I don't use it anymore, but seems to have left Limewire alone.

Everything else seems just fine - although browsing is faster!

Which is exactly the combo that I run. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom