Motorway speeding ticket for 80mph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well i have drivers up and down the country everyday, in terms of camera vans, they all tell me the same thing - A40 towards cardiff just before goodrich castle (it's there 5 times out of 10), A74/M74 just past carlisle (I'd say it's there 8 out of 10 times). A driver got zapped on the M74 for doing 74 mph, so if you want to be safe, forget the 10% thing.

That one of your drivers got caught at 74 seems a bit harsh, and worrying - my approach is to set cruise at 79mph, which is a true 77mph according to satnav. Would rather not get caught!

OP, if it was a HADECS installation, the prosecution evidence is a picture of your vehicle, just after a gantry on which a particular speed limit is displayed, travelling at a speed above that displayed limit. If there is no such picture, there can be no prosecution.

So far as I know (and if anyone knows better, please say so) there are no HADECS installations where the image/radar kit is linked electronically to the VSL display and no picture is required. If that is so, and your speed was below the legal limit, you have nothing to worry about; unless, of course, they're setting clandestine limits during the wee small hours in hopes of catching speeding HGVs, which I rather doubt.

OP, if it was a HADECS installation, the prosecution evidence is a picture of your vehicle, just after a gantry on which a particular speed limit is displayed, travelling at a speed above that displayed limit. If there is no such picture, there can be no prosecution.

So far as I know (and if anyone knows better, please say so) there are no HADECS installations where the image/radar kit is linked electronically to the VSL display and no picture is required. If that is so, and your speed was below the legal limit, you have nothing to worry about; unless, of course, they're setting clandestine limits during the wee small hours in hopes of catching speeding HGVs, which I rather doubt.

The one I was flashed by was indeed an HADECS on the M62. No speed limit above and was flashed! Just wondering what kind of NIP I’m going to receive..

The one I was flashed by was indeed an HADECS on the M62. No speed limit above and was flashed! Just wondering what kind of NIP I’m going to receive..

If you were doing 50 and the limit wasn’t reduced then don’t worry pal

I'm familiar with the bridge at Ower on the M27 and last time I looked there was no HADECS installation there. Had to have been a patrol car or a camera van lurking in the central reservation.

I was glancing through the local paper this evening, seeing if I knew anyone who had been a bit careless and sent to the naughty step at Bournemouth Magistates Court. Amongst the court cases I spotted one that got me thinking a bit. I'll post it below with the guys name edited.

GEORGE ******* R********, aged 38 and of B****** Road, Bournemouth, admits driving a Volkswagen on the M27 at Ower, Southampton on March 14 at a speed exceeding 70 miles per hour, namely 80mph. Fined £192, to pay a £30 surcharge, to pay £85 costs. Driving record endorsed with three points.

Now unless a speed camera was set up on one of the bridges to catch everyone doing more than 70mph, the above was stopped by a motorway patrol car doing 80mph. Now I know the limit is 70mph, but if you do that you'll be overtaken all day long and stray into the outside lane doing just 70mph you won't be popular..
I was led to believe, (wrongly??) a long time ago, if conditions allow, up to 85mph is acceptable without getting a pull.
Am I wrong? Do I risk a ticket, fine and points if I stray over 70mph.
Does the limit + 10% still apply (so 77mph is OK) or have things changed?
Do police have different limits in different forces?

I admit, I was surprised to read the guy above got a penalty for 80mph on what is a 4 lane motorway unless his driving manner was the cause of being stopped. Without knowing the full story its difficult to guess.
Just wondering if anyone else has thoughts on getting prosecuted for doing 80mph. I'm willing to bet each and every member has done that, or exceeded it without a ticket.

I got done for 77 on the M27. Speed awareness and £100. Luckily they werent measuring deceleration

I got done for 77 on the M27. Speed awareness and £100. Luckily they werent measuring deceleration

That is harsh taking into account the 10% + 2mph standard that was applied.

Patrol car or camera?

That is harsh taking into account the 10% + 2mph standard that was applied.

Patrol car or camera?

Don’t know anything about 10% +2 but there was a mobile camera. Got a NIP through the post saying 77

Don’t know anything about 10% +2 but there was a mobile camera. Got a NIP through the post saying 77

i guess you might have been right on the threshold for a nip then

I saw someone elsewhere saying they'd got a NIP for 76. He 'phoned them up and they said "oops, mistake" and cancelled it.

I saw someone elsewhere saying they'd got a NIP for 76. He 'phoned them up and they said "oops, mistake" and cancelled it.

doubt it, the 10%+2 is a guideline. You can't use it to get out of a NIP

i guess you might have been right on the threshold for a nip then

At the speed awareness course even the trainers were like oh that’s a bit harsh. Think people forget the limit is 70. All we are debating is what we can get away with!

At the speed awareness course even the trainers were like oh that’s a bit harsh. Think people forget the limit is 70. All we are debating is what we can get away with!

The limit is silly anyway.

A 3-4 Lane motorway 70mph??!! but a country lane with blind bends 60mph... hmmmm

The limit is silly anyway.

A 3-4 Lane motorway 70mph??!! but a country lane with blind bends 60mph... hmmmm
Very true....the lane I live on has a couple of houses including ours that is 12ft from the lane, is a dead end further up, barely can drive one car width down and is national speed limit. As is the lane at the bottom of our lane which is just wide enough for two cars to pass carefully in most places. Plenty of accidents including a big nasty head on recently. No lights and surface is slippery when cold or wet and very very slippery in minus temps obviously. That is national speed limit as well. Bonkers!

The speed limit is the.... well, limit. A driver should always drive at a speed suitable for the weather and road conditions. NSL is not a license to kill.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom