My W124 Works experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not sure if you read my above post prior to posting your input.

As a forum can we not accomodate this thread for what it is (some negative feedback)?

Fairly construictive I would say. What I don't see as constructive is the random I am alright jack posts. Whther you are alright and whether that is becasue you have or not used 124 Works, is irrelevant to someone that isn't all ok?

I don't think anyone is suggesting Ian doesn't have many happy customers.

It seems odd to take offence at an experience someone else to you has had and be almost angry with them for having had it. Is that constructive and does it add value?

The trouble here is, we don't prompt people to go out of their way to add negative comments to the MANY MANY positive feedback threads do we?

My questions are for everyone to think about. Not really looking for discussion on this.

I didn't. It took a while to type it out.

Apologies again.

Regards,

KJ

Making a mistake is not the end of the world - everyone is allowed the odd 5-10% of mistakes, after all one never achieves 100% accuracy. So no one should be blasted for that.

But what doesn't help a tech's credibility is underestimating a job, i.e. saying 2 hrs to change an m117 water pump when the book time is 4hrs +. And if man time stretches beyond that due to other issues or incompetency, then one should not charge for it.

Perhaps it's best to say no-can-do rather than self-learn on a customers car.

Making a mistake is not the end of the world - everyone is allowed the odd 5-10% of mistakes, after all one never achieves 100% accuracy. So no one should be blasted for that.

But what doesn't help a tech's credibility is underestimating a job, i.e. saying 2 hrs to change an m117 water pump when the book time is 4hrs +. And if man time stretches beyond that due to other issues or incompetency, then one should not charge for it.

Perhaps it's best to say no-can-do rather than self-learn on a customers car.

I agree, but on matters that concern safety the tolerance for mistakes is zero.
I've had no dealings with W124 works so friendship does not cloud my judgement. Reading about ady's locking diff, which might of killed him, and Nav's flywheel coming loose twice it's logical to have doubts about Ian's attention to detail and the use of correct torque figures.

adam

Last edited:
and Nav's flywheel coming loose twice it's logical to have doubts about Ian's attention to detail and the use of correct torque figures.

It was the crankshaft pulley that worked loose, which is a lot less dangerous although still very unfortunate. So your comment also shows an inattention to detail............ Mistakes do sometimes happen!

Ian obviously has had a couple of genuine problems in the last 2 years of operation and he needs to sort any outstanding issues directly with the people concerned.

Most others however dont have a place in this thread and I would ask anyone considering a reply to this thread to ask themselves if it is now feedback and actually adds to the thread or is yet another post for the sake of having an online opinion ?
Feel free to have an opinion, but in this particular case I dont think it helps to post it.

Nav has been nothing but a perfect gent with me, and his help in the last couple of weeks has been really appreciated.
On the other hand Ian has helped me by posting and on the phone with sound advice too.

Can we please leave this thread now to ONLY those who have a genuine vested interest in the topic.

Mark

Feel free to have an opinion, but in this particular case I dont think it helps to post it.

Mark

In that case this is my final post on this forum. No forum can function properly if the moderators discourage opinions that are backed by fact.

adam

Last edited:
As I'm fixing half the issues on Nav's car, i would say i have a vested interest :p

Nav - as i said before bring over a proper engine for that 560, like an M119 (CIS or LH) and we'll have it installed in a week. CIS in 2 days flat, LH in 7 days flat. Will need a custom rad ideally but that's workable.

talbir

As I'm fixing half the issues on Nav's car, i would say i have a vested interest :p

Nav - as i said before bring over a proper engine for that 560, like an M119 (CIS or LH) and we'll have it installed in a week. CIS in 2 days flat, LH in 7 days flat. Will need a custom rad ideally but that's workable.

talbir

Talbir has anyone ever told you that you are completely nuts :D :D

lol...

It has taken a lot for Ady, Nav and probably others to post about this as this is exactly what they were afraid of.

These are genuine reviews..

How many of you dont book a hotel because it has one or two bad reviews on the net? How many of you have gone out and bought e class's despite honest john telling you that you would be better off in a skip on wheels?

we all make informed decisions based on an overall view... at least i do!

no garage will ever have 100% good reviews, upset customers and misunderstandings are a part of the business.. like has been said, its all about how its dealt with.

These are genuine reviews... Im sure Ian wont suffer for it, if anything it will make him stronger, it will encourage him to ensure nothing like this ever has the opportunity to brew again...

Take the good from that bad and move on.

Are Nav and Ady's experiences due to Ians doubtless enthusiasm for a project outweighing his actual knowledge and ability?

If that is the case hopefully he can use this experience to learn when to say no to a customers requests.

Just my twopenneth.

In that case this is my final post on this forum. No forum can function properly if the moderators discourage opinions that are backed by fact.

adam

I hope this is not the case... but I too am a little concerned about the "censorship" being touted here.

I appreciate that both parties are very active forum members and I have no contact with either but I do feel anyone should feel free to express an opinion - this is no different than the views on many threads about many garages.

Or do certain forum members get special treatment.

As for this topic I think it has been done to death......

Last edited:
I hope this is not the case... but I too am a little concerned about the "censorship" being touted here.

I appreciate that both parties are very active forum members and I have no contact with either but I do feel anyone should feel free to express an opinion - this is no different that the views on many threads about many garages.

Agreed....the censorship issue does seem concerning. I also feel that opinions should be expressed as long as people are not getting down to the point of being abusive towards each other.

After all, I have been a person that has put posts up about very poor service from MB garages...does this mean that we should stop doing that as well ?

After all, repairing these vehicles when they break is a very expensive issue, and I'm sure that we all have better things to do with our money than shell out for unnecessary repairs.

Last edited:

What censorship ? - everyone had TEN pages to voice an opinion :) after that length of time the same things were being repeated over and over, even after the 2 parties concerned had worked it out between themselves

Certainly not as far as I am aware!

And I think that was the point I was making ........
All I said was it would be better if people didnt voice an opinion just for the sake of it :)

Mark

After much deliberation, i believe what needed to be said has been said.

My attentions were never of mallice, and neither were Ian's. He did not set out for this to happen, the situation simply didn't resolve in an adequate timescale.

It has also come to my attention Ian's personal health has been affected due to these issues hence my reason to cool this thread. We're beginning to go slightly OT. and i feel that a rift is developing in this forum, which is generally such a close knit community.

I beleive my decision is in everyones' best interest, on this note may i ask this thread to be temporarily locked until we are able to post a positve resolution to this matter.

Ian i sincerely hope you get well soon.

Kind regards,

Nav

In addition to Marks words, I'd like to point out that we're talking about a long standing and valued forum member.

This is not an Ian bashing thread.

For someone to make unrelated accusations on behalf of a third party, without even gaining their permission and worse still, without knowledge of the full facts is simply not what this thread is about.

This type of post is nothing more than heresay and does nothing but muddy the waters and has the potential to damage peoples reputation quite possibly without any merrit.

[EDIT] As requested, thread locked

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know that my issues with W124 Works have been resolved.

Ian has excelled himself in the last few days and made sure i received the cleared funds for my repairs within 24 hours. A few courtesy calls follwed throughout last week to ensure evrything was resolved smoothly.

If the customer service continues in this way, W124 Works will be a thriving business and it does seem like Ian has taken all the advice onboard and is resolving any issues asap.

I wish Ian and W124 Works all the best in the future.

Glad all this has been resolved, and that you 2 can at least shake hands next time you're both at a GTG.

KLP you should be commended for not going off on one, and showing a good level of decorum (excuse my spelling there) :)

Glad all this has been resolved, and that you 2 can at least shake hands next time you're both at a GTG.

KLP you should be commended for not going off on one, and showing a good level of decorum (excuse my spelling there) :)

Spelling looks good to me :)

Thanks for the kind words.

I've spoken to Ian many times during the past week and we're more than happy to put this episode behind us and return back to normal.

Hi all, new to this forums, and now taking recommendations for servicing my new W124 E36 AMG estate.. so from my "new to this forum perspective" that a balanced set of posts about good and bad experiences will make for a balanced read & discussion. What I'd love to see is for the garages themselves be able to understand that in a supportive manner, posts in reply to explain the issues they face daily are welcome, nay imperative!

Anyone recommend E36 AMG servicing experts in/around Essex ?

thanks to all for such an excellent forum, I intend to contribute my fair share... I have a W123 estate restoration on the go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom