National Tyres cheap oil and filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I checked my car and indeed the price for Castrol Edge 5W-30 was 20% cheaper than I was able to buy the oil myself (not including Costco as I'm not a member).

I checked my car and indeed the price for Castrol Edge 5W-30 was 20% cheaper than I was able to buy the oil myself (not including Costco as I'm not a member).

How much did it come up for? On my car is offered only semi-synth for £27.

One snag is that they use pattern filters and won't fit genuine MB ones even if you supply it yourself. Don't know if this is a real issue or not - I'm sure some pattern filters are good quality.

How much did it come up for? On my car is offered only semi-synth for £27.

One snag is that they use pattern filters and won't fit genuine MB ones even if you supply it yourself. Don't know if this is a real issue or not - I'm sure some pattern filters are good quality.

£30.60 for full synthetic Castrol Edge 5W-30 (507.00 VAG long life oil)
Opie Oils was £40 and Halfords £45.

I wont be using it for my car yet, but I've many friends with basic cars who don't want to get their hands dirty, so I think the price is very good.

£30.60 for full synthetic Castrol Edge 5W-30 (507.00 VAG long life oil)
Opie Oils was £40 and Halfords £45.
Costco is £20+VAT (so will be £23.50 from 1st Jan) Mobil1, but it's a 4L container, so National's price is still cheaper even than just the oil
I wont be using it for my car yet, but I've many friends with basic cars who don't want to get their hands dirty, so I think the price is very good.
I'd just be very nervous about them even touching my car. I've seen comments that they've messed up putting undertrays back on, stripped threads, etc.

I'm sure there are some capable people there, I just haven't met any of them yet, and I used to have to use this type of place all the time when I had a company car. There's a National Tyres branch a couple of miles from my house that I used for an exhaust on wifey's car a few years ago and it was after that debacle that I decided I would only ever use franchised dealers for exhausts, despite the cost.

I took my BMW to national yesterday afternoon for the oil change.
Last night, on the way to Tescos, my oil light came on. As i was literally 20 seconds away from Tescos i drove in and bought 4 litres of oil and poured it in. Well, by the time i drove the 2 mile trip home, the oil light flashed again. It was raining last night so couldnt see if i had an oil patch on my drive, but this morning i can see that i have a large oil patch directly under the engine.

I called up the branch that changed the oil and was told by the manager i would have to take the car to them before they could do anything about it!!!! I told them that the car isnt drivable as it will hardly hold any oil, but he seemed not to really understand the logic of not driving a car if it doesnt hold oil!! It appears to be leaking from the oil filter which has not been screwed in correctly (but i'm not a mechanic, so might be wrong)

Would this massive oil leak have caused any damage to the engine?

yes maybe, you need to have it checked..

It is suspiciously cheap... I just entered my wifes CLK diesel and it comes up at £34 with fully synthetic oil... thats just silly.

I took my BMW to national yesterday afternoon for the oil change.
Last night, on the way to Tescos, my oil light came on. As i was literally 20 seconds away from Tescos i drove in and bought 4 litres of oil and poured it in. Well, by the time i drove the 2 mile trip home, the oil light flashed again. It was raining last night so couldnt see if i had an oil patch on my drive, but this morning i can see that i have a large oil patch directly under the engine.

I called up the branch that changed the oil and was told by the manager i would have to take the car to them before they could do anything about it!!!! I told them that the car isnt drivable as it will hardly hold any oil, but he seemed not to really understand the logic of not driving a car if it doesnt hold oil!! It appears to be leaking from the oil filter which has not been screwed in correctly (but i'm not a mechanic, so might be wrong)

Would this massive oil leak have caused any damage to the engine?
I'd insist the car is recovered and not driven. And get on to Trading Standards.

I used a similar deal with National about 10 years ago on an MX5. Fully synth and £18. All good.

The manager is coming to me tomorrow to have a look. He wanted to drive it away, but i have insisted it can only be towed away as it really doesnt hold any oil for very long.

Do they empty the oil via the sump plug or use a vacuum to suck it out? Not happy about not using MB oil filter either..

Mine -

The below oil is recommended for your vehicle (MERCEDES-BENZ C320 CDI DPF (OM642.910)).

Price based on supplying a maximum of 7 litres of oil. If more than 7 litres are required an additional charge may be applied in branch.

Castrol Edge 5W30 Full Synthetic

Premium oil suitable for most petrol and diesel cars including BMW and Mercedes (excludes Volvo petrol turbo after 2004

£34.00

That is so cheap........... but how does this oil compare to Moboil 1

Also my car doesn't have a DPF so would they be using a low ash oil?

I did hear of someone using this deal to get an Espace oil changed. Filter is not available as a pattern part. Aparantly they did get a filter from the dealer, which even at trade cost more than the oil change.

Yeah, it gets the Smarts wrong though as it wants to use semi-synth and they need fully synth!

Kate

Castrol Edge 5W30 Full Synthetic

Was wandering around a Tesco "home" type shop today and they had the above oil for £17.95 *per litre*! :eek:

Reza, I too looked at that website, and the results?

22 reviews of which 17 were complaints/adverse comments dating back to May 2002!!

Of course there will be bad experiences at all garages, I wonder how many complaints could be generated about MB main dealerships since 2002 from the members of this site alone?

I work for an airline and the comments that make the news/review sites are almost exclusively the bad ones. My experience is that few think to compliment, most only to critisize and that is generally in an attempt to claim some sort of compensation. "Good news is not news" seems to be the mantra. Certainly in the airline business some people seem to expect Fortnum & Mason quality for Lidl prices! Forget the fact that they have just been transported 1500 miles in a pressurised aluminium cylinder 6 miles above the earth, safely!!

I am fully aware that National Tyres is not a MB main dealership and consequently I will not be expecting the same level of expertise, but then again I will not be paying the same price. Have you ever thought that the cost per hour is a fixed price irrespective of who does the job? You will pay the same rate for the company's most experienced mechanic nearing retirement with 40 years of mechanical knowhow as you will for the acned grease monkey beginning his apprenticeship (do they still exist?) carrying out the oil and filter change on your beloved MB during a B Service. Granted there may be some level of supervision over the said grease monkey but price does not necessarily guarantee excellence.

I do not have a lift in my garage nor the facilities to change the oil easily myself. I do know how to do it and I am conversant with the mechanicals under the bonnet. In the past, with other cars, I have witnessed the oil change taking place and intend to do the same this time, if I go to National tyres.

I do not have a lift in my garage nor the facilities to change the oil easily myself. I do know how to do it and I am conversant with the mechanicals under the bonnet. In the past, with other cars, I have witnessed the oil change taking place and intend to do the same this time, if I go to National tyres.

I can recommend an oil pump to suck the oil out. It's very easy, clean and costs ~£30.

Reza, I too looked at that website, and the results?

22 reviews of which 17 were complaints/adverse comments dating back to May 2002!!

Of course there will be bad experiences at all garages, I wonder how many complaints could be generated about MB main dealerships since 2002 from the members of this site alone?

I work for an airline and the comments that make the news/review sites are almost exclusively the bad ones. My experience is that few think to compliment, most only to critisize and that is generally in an attempt to claim some sort of compensation. "Good news is not news" seems to be the mantra. Certainly in the airline business some people seem to expect Fortnum & Mason quality for Lidl prices! Forget the fact that they have just been transported 1500 miles in a pressurised aluminium cylinder 6 miles above the earth, safely!!

I am fully aware that National Tyres is not a MB main dealership and consequently I will not be expecting the same level of expertise, but then again I will not be paying the same price. Have you ever thought that the cost per hour is a fixed price irrespective of who does the job? You will pay the same rate for the company's most experienced mechanic nearing retirement with 40 years of mechanical knowhow as you will for the acned grease monkey beginning his apprenticeship (do they still exist?) carrying out the oil and filter change on your beloved MB during a B Service. Granted there may be some level of supervision over the said grease monkey but price does not necessarily guarantee excellence.

If they wish to do the oil change for 'lidl prices' that is their business. I expect it to be done with the same reasonable level of care the dealer would have given. The excuse of expecting poor service/product because something is cheap is wrong. Imagine going to Tescos and buying a value chicken and getting food poisoning, then to be told 'what did you expect, it's a cheap chicken'. Would you accept that? Replacing a filter is not a difficult job. Their incompetence has probably damaged my car and has left a large oil stain on my drive, of course i want to be compensated for my loss. I am angry and want blood! I posted the link so members can make their own informed decision whether they wish to use national tyre. You too now have the information. If you choose to use them, that is your choice, but you will find no sympathy here!!

But on a positive note, they have provided me with a new ford s-max while i await a new filter and oil in my car. The snow has not allowed them to take the car away yet. But they have ordered a new filter from the main dealer to replace. I only wish they had taken the same level of care when they changed the oil as they are using to rectify their mess!

Just out of interest I put my car details into their online system and it advised semi - synthetic.
That's for a 2000 year R129 V6 with ASSYST variable servicing. In no way does this come close to the oil spec required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom